Massachusetts DPT 23-24

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dominicanbaseballpt

Reaction score
What's up everyone! Wanted to create a thread for MA based schools.
Applied to: MGH, BU, NEU and Tufts
Just heard back from MGH this morning and was accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was also accepted into MGH this morning, and have also been accepted into Simmons!
I am still waiting to hear back from BU and NEU

Hi, I was also accepted into MGH this morning, and have also been accepted into Simmons!
I am still waiting to hear back from BU and NEU
Nice congrats! Same here on BU and NEU. Got degrees from both of them so hopefully one of them wants me back :rofl:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted to BU. Considering I have been waitlisted couple other schools, this is such a huge relief.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got accepted to BU. Considering I have been waitlisted couple other schools, this is such a huge relief.
Congratulations! I was also just accepted with a scholarship. I’m waiting to hear back from NEU before making my final decision

Congratulations! I was also just accepted with a scholarship. I’m waiting to hear back from NEU before making my final decision
Yeah, I got a scholarship too, but the remaining tuition fee is still super scary. Are you attending BU?

Same here, congrats! All it takes is one acceptance. I’m waiting on NEU to make my decision, but probs between NEU and MGH for me

Hello, I was wondering what you guys think about MGH?
So far Ive liked what MGH has to offer, both in terms of academics and clinical experiences. With it being a part of the largest hospital chain in MA it also has a multitude of connections in the different areas of PT (neuro, sports, peds etc). I know of an OT who graduated from their program and she has nothing but good things to say, and stayed in the MGH network afterwards as well.

Hi everyone,
I got admission from MGH about two weeks ago.
And BU admitted me with almost $40k scholarship two days ago.

Never been in MA or Boston before.
I’m not sure if Boston is a diverse city or not! Also heard horror stories abt how difficult the DPT program at BU is.

Any thoughts? Specially from those who know the city and the program.

I've been accepted to MGH! Not sure if I'm going yet but definitely in the top!

Hi everyone,
I got admission from MGH about two weeks ago.
And BU admitted me with almost $40k scholarship two days ago.

Never been in MA or Boston before.
I’m not sure if Boston is a diverse city or not! Also heard horror stories abt how difficult the DPT program at BU is.

Any thoughts? Specially from those who know the city and the program.
Congrats on both! Im an MA native and lived in Boston for 8 years. The city is diverse in a sense, lots of different areas with multitude of cultures. Majority of the culture though is in the suburbs of the city, not in the center etc. Very easy to travel around Boston due to its transit system so a car wouldn't be necessary unless youre planning on living far outside of the city. Otherwise Boston is a very fun place, moving back there from SD because of how much I miss it.
I graduated from BU undergrad and had some friends in the PT program. My major was in the same school as the PT program so a lot of our classes overlapped. The undergrad portions were very difficult, cannot say for certain on how the grad/PT class difficulty would be.

Congrats on both! Im an MA native and lived in Boston for 8 years. The city is diverse in a sense, lots of different areas with multitude of cultures. Majority of the culture though is in the suburbs of the city, not in the center etc. Very easy to travel around Boston due to its transit system so a car wouldn't be necessary unless youre planning on living far outside of the city. Otherwise Boston is a very fun place, moving back there from SD because of how much I miss it.
I graduated from BU undergrad and had some friends in the PT program. My major was in the same school as the PT program so a lot of our classes overlapped. The undergrad portions were very difficult, cannot say for certain on how the grad/PT class difficulty would be.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Is there any recommendations on choosing neighborhoods?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you.
Yeah it's exciting and waiting for more interviews in Jan to decide.

I really appreciate you sharing your experiences, specially about the diversity. It's not really easy to find these info online. And it really matters for me to move somewhere for school which I can call it home at least for three years.

Also I heard it gets humid very badly during the summer (2-3 months). Is that true?

Thank you.
Yeah it's exciting and waiting for more interviews in Jan to decide.

I really appreciate you sharing your experiences, specially about the diversity. It's not really easy to find these info online. And it really matters for me to move somewhere for school which I can call it home at least for three years.

Also I heard it gets humid very badly during the summer (2-3 months). Is that true?
Yes it can get very humid in Boston, honestly starts around Mayish and can last until mid Sept or so. About 4-5 months, definitely need a place that has AC or able to put in your own wall unit, a fan does not cut it. You will get used to it, not that bad when walking around or taking the transit. Just make sure to stay hydrated

If you guys don't mind, can you share why you would choose Northeastern or Boston or MGH? I am from the west coast so I want to get a better idea of them. I hope the winters are not too brutal out there ahah.

I got into BU earlier this week with a scholarship, still waiting to hear back from NEU

If you guys don't mind, can you share why you would choose Northeastern or Boston or MGH? I am from the west coast so I want to get a better idea of them. I hope the winters are not too brutal out there ahah.
Winters ARE brutal here, make sure to buy a thick winter coat and some good boots.
I liked MGH's learning style and their curriculum, plus their connections to the hospitals and medical facilities in the area are extremely amazing and know a lot of people that have graduated from their other professional programs (OT, Nursing) and have gotten great jobs in the network afterwards. Easily set up for success in my opinion
NEU is great because they would give me a huge tuition discount due to the fact that I already have one degree from them, and I know how the curriculum and teach styles are at the school. As I want to work with athletes after I graduate, their Sports specific concentration is extremely appealing to me. The support from the staff and faculty there was amazing, I never felt like I was tackling things all on my own.
BU is not that high up on my list, while they did give me a good scholarship I just cant see myself there. Reminds me too much of my undergrad. As mentioned above I think their classes would be extremely difficult.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Is there any recommendations on choosing neighborhoods?
Depends on the school you are trying to attend! In terms of locality:
JP (Jamaica Plain) or anywhere on the Orange line or E line would be good places as an NEU student. NEU has two stops on their campus, one right in the middle (orange line) and one on the street in-front of the gym (green line). Very easy commute in, and JP is only 10-15 min on the T (depending what stop you live at)
For MGH, anywhere on the orange line is good as well but more-so in the Sommerville area I would say. Orange line stop near the school. Charleston is a smaller part of the Boston that I myself have never really experienced, but im sure there are places that are good to live in.
For BU, Allston/Brighton are the two closest neighborhoods to the university that would be good and affordable. A lot of college students and post-grads live in that area so it can be lively, but good bars and food there for sure. I lived there for 3 years after I did my undergrad and during my masters, was a great place. Like I said though, lots of young recent graduates so if that is not to your liking I would suggest otherwise.
Hope this helps!

Yes it can get very humid in Boston, honestly starts around Mayish and can last until mid Sept or so. About 4-5 months, definitely need a place that has AC or able to put in your own wall unit, a fan does not cut it. You will get used to it, not that bad when walking around or taking the transit. Just make sure to stay hydrated
You’re awesome.
Thanks for your time 🙏🏼

Hi all. I was waitlisted at BU but got an astonishing scholarship at MGH which moved it up my list. Does anyone have any sense of how MGH is in terms of public transportation? I'm from the West Coast, so I don't have any experience on that side of the country for transport. Best of luck!

Hi all. I was waitlisted at BU but got an astonishing scholarship at MGH which moved it up my list. Does anyone have any sense of how MGH is in terms of public transportation? I'm from the West Coast, so I don't have any experience on that side of the country for transport. Best of luck!
Congrats, especially on that scholarship! Im currently living in San Diego and am originally from MA, been in Boston for 8 years. The public transportation in Boston is great, one of the best in the country I believe. MGH is close to a main branch of the subway (the T) and there should be a ton of buses that run through the streets of the school. Either way, should be easy to commute to and from campus. Im most likely going to MGH myself so hope we can connect if we both attend!

Just got accepted into Northeastern

• Love
I have committed to MGH! Regardless of which school anyone attends, id be more than happy to stay connected and chat during our time in Boston. Like I mentioned before, I am from the state and spent 8 years in Boston, so happy to answer any questions anyone may have about the city/living etc. Good luck to everyone and their decisions and paths!

I have committed to MGH! Regardless of which school anyone attends, id be more than happy to stay connected and chat during our time in Boston. Like I mentioned before, I am from the state and spent 8 years in Boston, so happy to answer any questions anyone may have about the city/living etc. Good luck to everyone and their decisions and paths!
Congrats on your decision.
I'm still waiting for more schools to get back to me and one more interview to go.
If I find myself between my two Boston options, I'll definitely pick MGH as well.

If you guys don't mind sharing, can you tell me why you would choose MGH over NEU?

If you guys don't mind sharing, can you tell me why you would choose MGH over NEU?
You asked a similar question before, so a question I have for you. What has you between MGH and NEU? What are their pros and cons that have you considering them in the first place?

I'd say MGH has a good reputation around Boston and it is from one of the best hospitals in the nation I don't know how the reputation would be in other states though. NEU has been very communicative and I really like that. The faculty seem like they want to communicate with you. Also, I really like their concentrations.

I'd say MGH has a good reputation around Boston and it is from one of the best hospitals in the nation I don't know how the reputation would be in other states though. NEU has been very communicative and I really like that. The faculty seem like they want to communicate with you. Also, I really like their concentrations.
I am currently living in San Diego, but from MA. Mentioned the names of both schools to PTs I have shadowed and even other medical professionals, most will know MGH over NEU but NEU is still known. Just depends on who you are asking and where you are looking. I agree with what a lot of people say though, you get your PT degree and pass the test you're a PT. The name of the school can of course help, but depends if that is a big factor for you.
I chose MGH over NEU since I have deep connections in MGH and want to work in the sports area, orthopedics and what have you. Since a lot of elite athletes attend MGH, I am hoping to get a connection to a sports team one day. While NEU does have the sports concentration, and I do have connections there, MGH spoke more to my mindset and my interests.

Also, I live in Los Angeles. How are you planning on moving back to Boston?

There are athletes attending MGH IHP?
Huh? What do you mean? If you are asking if there are athletes associated with MGH IHP that you could work with, I have no idea. I would presume so as you would be working in the hospital and could find something that way. I myself just have a connection with a department that works with athletes, so after I graduate I can jump over there if I wish to.

You said that there are a lot of athletes that attend MGH so I was wondering what you meant by that.
Yea how is the drive? Do you have any good recs on which cities to stop in?

You said that there are a lot of athletes that attend MGH so I was wondering what you meant by that.
Yea how is the drive? Do you have any good recs on which cities to stop in?
Apologies for the miscommunication. I meant to say that a lot of athletes go to the hospitals in the MGH network, thats what I meant by having access to them and potentially the opportunity tow work with them. The school is also associated with Harvard, so there may be opportunities to work with the Harvard athletes (im hoping haha). NEU does have athletes as well of course, but I dont know if the DPT program interacts with them.

The drive was cool, I recommended the southern route. NV, TX, Carolinas etc. Nashville, TN was amazing and the Outer Banks in NC were also nice. Good food and fun, took me about week since I did a lot of cities but if you go straight through it can take 4 days. Recommend having having a bud or two with you, makes it way more fun!

Reactions: 1 users