Masters friendly d-schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loxandbagels

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am almost done putting everything together to apply at the end of June. I was looking at schools to apply to. It seems like some have really low numbers of MS students. Does that mean theres not a lot of applying there or they just put more emphasis on the BA? Where should I apply?

ugGPA overall : 3.196 science GPA : 2.9 .... Degree in foreign languages and linguistics

Grad GPA: 3.95 with MS in Biochem and Molecular Bio (20 units done)

so overall scienceGPA is a 3.06

DAT: 22AA no sections below 19

good ECs, etc,

Schools so far: VCU, UNC, MUSC, GRU, UF, LECOM, NOVA, UNLV. UTenn? BU?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I'll be watching this question slowly and give it a bump, because I'll be starting an MS myself this fall. Hope to follow in your footsteps next year.

Reactions: 1 user
I had very similar stats to you. I interviewed at BU, NYU, stony brook and UCSF. Accepted to all except wait listed at UCSF. If your masters program included research I would add UCSF. They seemed to like it, BU as well. What state do you live in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dental schools just don't get as many applicants with a Masters is most likely the case. Most people apply with just their BS/BA, then most of those needing to boost a GPA do a post-bacc program usually because it's less expensive or they start a Master's program, get in enough courses to show improvement and then never finish the Masters because they get into Dental School. Your stats are good, your jump in GPA in your Master's program will help a lot for admissions.

Reactions: 1 user
Dental schools just don't get as many applicants with a Masters is most likely the case. Most people apply with just their BS/BA, then most of those needing to boost a GPA do a post-bacc program usually because it's less expensive or they start a Master's program, get in enough courses to show improvement and then never finish the Masters because they get into Dental School. Your stats are good, your jump in GPA in your Master's program will help a lot for admissions.
Or in my case, your school makes you finish your masters degree. -__-

I'm almost done with it so I'll finish it out. I dont want to regret not taking 2-3 more courses for the extra degree!

I don't have an answer to your question, but I'll be watching this question slowly and give it a bump, because I'll be starting an MS myself this fall. Hope to follow in your footsteps next year.

I don't know. but what its worth go somewhere cheap!