Dental masters gpa lower than undergrad

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
hello to whoever is reading this,

I have no-one to ask and I have till Dec. 15, 2021 to figure this out. I am in a masters program that requires a 3.2 to get an interview into their school, where over the last 6 months I really realized I wouldn't even want to go to that dental school if I got in because it is so unorganized and no-one is teaching. I spend 10+ hours a day studying and am barely getting an A. We teach our selves off of YouTube because the professors go off on tangents a majority of the class, when tbh we don't even have class time to waste. I picked a cheaper program because of my finances and now I'm regretting it. They just let us know that we have a week, during finals week, to get our application in, I was thinking I would do it over the break since I'd have time. I also just am getting better from the flu of 5 days.

I guess my question is, if I get less than a 3.2 should I quit this program and save thousands of dollars, or is it truly better to graduate with a degree that I feel like truly wouldn't even give me a job to fall back on. Won't a lower gpa hurt me? I'm on my 2nd year out of undergrad and I don't think I have the energy to go on and keep pursuing this, because I have people that need to be taken care of now not in xyz years. I retook my dat this past summer did get 20's and a 24 in a science, improved from 17/18s. my undergrad gpa from UF was a 3.3 sgpa and 3.5ish overall. tons of involvement, 3-5 jobs any given semester. my hearts in dentistry for the right reasons and to others it seems like I haven't done anything, but I can't start over from scratch. I guess if there's anyone out there that was in this situation, where their masters gpa was lower, I'd love an opinion or something.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in danger of failing out of any classes for you to fall under a 3.2? Your primary goal is to keep your GPA above water (ideally 3.5, maybe 3.7) to give yourself a shot at any dental school.

Note that if you drop out and your SMP GPA winds up being below a 3.2 (definitely below 3.0), your dream of becoming a dentist is over. Having a master's doesn't guarantee you a job but if you do get something in the STEM fields, it will give you a higher salary than if you didn't. That said, SMP's likely do a really poor job when it comes to placing anyone into a job, so would it be worth the thousands to stay??? I'm not sure about that either. Suffice to say, if you drop out, focus your efforts on the next job that you can get. Use the university career services office and network your behind off. There are jobs available, but you need to be skilled to navigate this, even in a job where many of these positions seem to be more available and posted than ever before.

Members don't see this ad :)
unknown in this 1 yr masters currently finishing up this semester, but I did get two B's this summer. I have not applied, I was going to over the break until they dropped the bomb on us last minute to have it in by the 15th during finals.
So you are not applying through the regular AADSAS dental school way instead just applying to the one school you are currently in through some sort of internal portal?

hello to whoever is reading this,

I have no-one to ask and I have till Dec. 15, 2021 to figure this out. I am in a masters program that requires a 3.2 to get an interview into their school, where over the last 6 months I really realized I wouldn't even want to go to that dental school if I got in because it is so unorganized and no-one is teaching. I spend 10+ hours a day studying and am barely getting an A. We teach our selves off of YouTube because the professors go off on tangents a majority of the class, when tbh we don't even have class time to waste. I picked a cheaper program because of my finances and now I'm regretting it. They just let us know that we have a week, during finals week, to get our application in, I was thinking I would do it over the break since I'd have time. I also just am getting better from the flu of 5 days.

I guess my question is, if I get less than a 3.2 should I quit this program and save thousands of dollars, or is it truly better to graduate with a degree that I feel like truly wouldn't even give me a job to fall back on. Won't a lower gpa hurt me? I'm on my 2nd year out of undergrad and I don't think I have the energy to go on and keep pursuing this, because I have people that need to be taken care of now not in xyz years. I retook my dat this past summer did get 20's and a 24 in a science, improved from 17/18s. my undergrad gpa from UF was a 3.3 sgpa and 3.5ish overall. tons of involvement, 3-5 jobs any given semester. my hearts in dentistry for the right reasons and to others it seems like I haven't done anything, but I can't start over from scratch. I guess if there's anyone out there that was in this situation, where their masters gpa was lower, I'd love an opinion or something.

— Experts please respond to this post —
I am assuming this is an SMP? Even if you get an interview at the school, a low GPA in an SMP is not going to do you any favors.

No I am going to, that's the only way for my school thru AADSAS, its just that its due during finals week too.
So you actually want to submit your AADSAS application by August latest, ideally July. Earlier the better.

Even if the deadline is December, you should have submitted this earlier on. do you have an advisor, dental school mentor or someone that can help you?

Do you have a guaranteed admissions if you are in their masters programs? a guaranteed interview does not guarantee an acceptance, esp with a lower GPA and DAT score.