Masters GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StuPrice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since my undergrad gpa was not that great (cgpa 2.99 and sgpa 2.85), I enrolled in a master's program to increase my chances. So far I've completed two semesters, and will finish up after this current spring semester. My master's gpa is a 3.67, and my DAT scores are AA 21/TS22/PAT 18. Is my Master's GPA high enough to give me a chance for this upcoming cycle (reapplicant), or should I consider taking another semester of classes? Also, do schools weight your master's gpa more heavily when you apply? Thanks for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, its very hard to answer this question. Your best bet is to call up the schools ur interested in and see what they have to say

Members don't see this ad :)
dentalWorks is right, you need to talk to schools. I think it really depends on what type of masters program you're in. MPH? MA? MS? Dental schools seem to only care if you're in a science based masters. I did a year of an MPH last year only to realize it was a huge waste of time... so I got in to a formal post bacc and it has paid off much more than the MPH ever would have.

I was in a similar situation as you, low GPA from undergrad and I did a MS degree in biological sciences and got a 4.0. I didn't get in this past cycle, but I applied pretty late. I think that it did help me though, because any low grades in specific classes I made sure I repeated them during my masters. good luck-

hey what masters program are you in?

I'm in a Masters of Biomedical Sciences program. I was hoping that the fact that I was able to handle classes such as Gross Anatomy, Neuroscience, Microbiology, Histology, and Physiology would help, since those are the core classes of the masters program that I am in right now. I feel like my DAT scores are pretty solid, so I thought the only other area I could improve was GPA. I'm ready to graduate from this program, but now am thinking maybe I should stay another semester and try to take more classes? Are there any other options?

I'm in a Masters of Biomedical Sciences program. I was hoping that the fact that I was able to handle classes such as Gross Anatomy, Neuroscience, Microbiology, Histology, and Physiology would help, since those are the core classes of the masters program that I am in right now. I feel like my DAT scores are pretty solid, so I thought the only other area I could improve was GPA. I'm ready to graduate from this program, but now am thinking maybe I should stay another semester and try to take more classes? Are there any other options?

Sounds like your enrolled at LE BARRE!!!! Who are you?!?!?!?

LE BARRE' = #1 masters program in the Universe

Hey Nole44, two questions:

1. Where would you go between Harvard and NOVA?

2. Did you do the poo's?

Bran24........ its funny you ask that question bc i have been accepted to Howard and Harvard. Im having a hard time deciding btwn the two but im leaning more towards Howard bc they are such a prestigues school in every aspect, not just dental. so if i were you i would def say Howard. correct me if im wrong but doesnt nova have a world renown professor that graduated from Howard? and no i believe stewie did the poos.

I do recall hearing something about this "Renown" professor, thanks for helping towards my decision.

Oh Nole44, I have a 4.1 undergrad gpa but only received a 3.9 graduate gpa, do you still think I have a chance this cycle? I really hope this won't hurt my chances. Maybe I could apply to Howard right now. Also, I'm studying Neuroanatomy right now and I am curious if you could provide me with a detailed scenario of proprioception?

I do recall hearing something about this "Renown" professor, thanks for helping towards my decision.

Oh Nole44, I have a 4.1 undergrad gpa but only received a 3.9 graduate gpa, do you still think I have a chance this cycle? I really hope this won't hurt my chances. Maybe I could apply to Howard right now. Also, I'm studying Neuroanatomy right now and I am curious if you could provide me with a detailed scenario of proprioception?

???

to answer your first question since your gpa dropped from 4.1 to 3.9 you are showing a downward trend to the adcoms for dental school. bc of this i would suggest you pursue your phD in a very abstract field such as music ensamble or arthropod psychology. also, make sure that while you are pursuing your phD you apply every single year to alot of schools bc this shows you are very proactive and dental schools love to take students out of the programs they are currently enrolled in.

im very pleased to see that you are studying neuroanatomy and i think i can help you out. seeing that you wish to one day become a dentist i think it is relavent we describe proprioception in regards to the oropharnyx area since this will be your restricted area medically and legally. first we must describe proprioception as ones ablility to sense their body or body parts in space. for example, if you were a dentist and tapped on a patients tooth they would say oh, thats coming from my mouth. this is inturn due to epicritc sensations relaying vibration back to the gracile/cuneate nucleus. however, if you chose to go to a school that did not stress this importance (i.e. not howard) then you may not practice skillful dentistry and my damage part of that epicritic pathway. to test this you would again tap on the tooth and the person may actually think you are dorsiflexing their big toe. this is not to be confused with the babinski reflex associated with UMN damage. in short you are able to sense where something is in space without even being able to see it. as for my credientials, i have extensive work and research in soil science and cell counting. I also am founder/CEO of Beepers and Tires.

to answer your first question since your gpa dropped from 4.1 to 3.9 you are showing a downward trend to the adcoms for dental school. bc of this i would suggest you pursue your phD in a very abstract field such as music ensamble or arthropod psychology. also, make sure that while you are pursuing your phD you apply every single year to alot of schools bc this shows you are very proactive and dental schools love to take students out of the programs they are currently enrolled in.

:troll:

Whoa! Cool SDN Lingo!

Dear Nole44,

Thank you for the invaluable info that you have provided. The downward trend in my gpa is EXACTLY what I feared. Your extensive research in cell counting does sound intriguing, my only problem is that I can only count to 1,000, I often find myself forgetting what comes next. I believe I will only apply to Canadian dental schools next year because they are much easier to get into. Thanks again.