Master's in Health Services Administration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apoplexy__

Blood-and-thunder appearance
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school is offering this Master's degree program, and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I'm interested in Pathology and Anesth, and have a huge interest in teaching sometime down the road. I've never really considered having an administrative position at a hospital, but it would be nice to have the door open to me. My questions are the following:

1. How helpful is this degree going to be? Is it really going be that much of a boon to be D.O, MSHA instead of D.O.?
2. Is this degree going to be kinda pointless going into the two fields I'm interested in? (in other words, do Pathologists and Anesthesiologists generally not become admins?)
3. Will this degree somehow help in a teaching position at a medical school or hospital sometime in the future?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a money making scheme to rake in some more loot. Doubt it will be that much help to achieve your goals. Then again, you may need extra help finding a job if you go the pathology route. ;)

Sounds like a money making scheme to rake in some more loot. Doubt it will be that much help to achieve your goals. Then again, you may need extra help finding a job if you go the pathology route. ;)

Haha, I appreciate the bluntness. A bit off-topic: I've had a hard time finding honest, quantitative data on the Path job market. Any tips? I've heard a lot of gloom and doom on the forums here, but also plenty of people that say that negative reports are anecdotal and/or from people comparing it to the "good old days" (similar to comparing undergrad now to back when you could graduate with $5k of debt and land an $80k/yr starting salary guaranteed).

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I appreciate the bluntness. A bit off-topic: I've had a hard time finding honest, quantitative data on the Path job market. Any tips? I've heard a lot of gloom and doom on the forums here, but also plenty of people that say that negative reports are anecdotal and/or from people comparing it to the "good old days" (similar to comparing undergrad now to back when you could graduate with $5k of debt and land an $80k/yr starting salary guaranteed).

I'm honestly not sure. I was being a wiseass. I say that if you enjoy something, go for it. Plus, you know SDN isn't exactly the land of overt optimism! I'm sure you've poked around the Path forums. Good luck!

My school is offering this Master's degree program, and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I'm interested in Pathology and Anesth, and have a huge interest in teaching sometime down the road. I've never really considered having an administrative position at a hospital, but it would be nice to have the door open to me. My questions are the following:

1. How helpful is this degree going to be? Is it really going be that much of a boon to be D.O, MSHA instead of D.O.?
2. Is this degree going to be kinda pointless going into the two fields I'm interested in? (in other words, do Pathologists and Anesthesiologists generally not become admins?)
3. Will this degree somehow help in a teaching position at a medical school or hospital sometime in the future?

Thanks.

If you're interested in teaching and you're considering investing in a master's degree, consider a masters in medical education. There are several programs and many are online. I'm in the master of medical education leadership program at Univ. of New England and I've really learned a lot. It's also helped me with networking because at every med school interview I attended I encountered someone who knew either the chair of the program or knew a graduate of the program.

Reactions: 1 user