Masters program that helped you get into dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just to be clear: DividedbyZero: you meet ALL of these requirement and did not get an interview invite? if you would like me to run your case up the flagpole as an example to this agreement no being honored, please PM me your info so i can have a clear example in my hand and not broad accusations.

if you don't PM me your info, i'll still ask, but i will have a lot less to stand on. i will certainly look into this tho, and see what happened.

I've definitely screamed about this from the top of the flagpole throughout the Biomed office to no avail. If you want to try this, I'll PM you right now.

Members don't see this ad.

OK so as it turns out, i have yet to meet anyone who met the garunteed interview criteria that has not got an interview. so what is the main complaints about the biomed-dental relations again??? i want to be clear when i talk about this stuff.

It has been very difficult for the staff from the biomedical sciences program to get anyone from the college of dentistry to communicate with them (unlike AZCOM). More than half of the people in the MA program this year is pre-dental. There were a few that managed to get an interview, but getting accepted is another story. All of the women I know that applied this year received an interview, and were accepted. As for the men, many of them were straight out denied after sending in their grades after the fall quarter with GPAs ranging from 3.8-4.0. The three men that I know that were able to get an interview, only one was accepted (and he was married). Some people in my program are beginning to think that there is more of a preference for women, and as for men, there is a preference if you are either married or is a career changer.

Although I know that the competition is tough and the few that got in could have got in without this program, all I am asking is for the college of dentistry to be a little more responsive. I hope their responses would be a little better for the people finishing the entire program and graduating with a master's degree. The students in the biomedical sciences program take a rigorous workload (biochem, histo, pharm, micro, viro, immuno, physio, anatomy, other electives and a capstone project for MA or research thesis for MBS). We take classes from the same physio and anatomy departments on campus, and from many other faculty members that teach in AZCOM. I think by doing well in this program, the students deserve better treatment by its own dental school. Where is the sense of community?

so it seems like they want to see more than 1 quarter of work, especially if the undergrad gpa was hurting. how many pre-dents are there here? you understand that they cant hold 50 or so apps till after 2nd quarter ends in march right. there are only 2 dates for interviews that far out! plus over 90 deposits are in, maybe more than 100 even. what could the dental dept do that would make it better, in your opinion?

Members don't see this ad :)
so it seems like they want to see more than 1 quarter of work, especially if the undergrad gpa was hurting. how many pre-dents are there here? you understand that they cant hold 50 or so apps till after 2nd quarter ends in march right. there are only 2 dates for interviews that far out! plus over 90 deposits are in, maybe more than 100 even. what could the dental dept do that would make it better, in your opinion?

1) You are right about wanting to see more than 1 quarter of work. It is a very difficult decision for dental admissions. I think many people that did well after the first quarter simply did not expect a straight up rejection. My suggestion would be to offer students an interview if he or she gets a high GPA after the first quarter 3.7+. The MA class is about 80, with about half pre-dent. We are talking about offering <30 interviews to students doing well in a challenging program, including students who already have good stats from undergrad. At least give them a shot at making the waiting list. The adcom can keep them on the list until their second quarter grades come out and decide to accept or reject them then. (Everyone from the biomed program that made the waiting list for AZCOM were accepted last year...but I know it is a much different situation for dental)
2) If we are not getting a positive response when we are a student at this university right now, will it change once we finish the program and are no longer a student here? Will there be any benefits for doing the masters at this university if we apply again next year?
3) Admissions came and gave us a talk last quarter. They left us the impression that all applicants are judged based on their undergrad stats and the grad GPA carries very little weight. Many of us are wondering why are we doing this program at all (another reason of complaint)!

Last edited:
1) You are right about wanting to see more than 1 quarter of work. It is a very difficult decision for dental admissions. I think many people that did well after the first quarter simply did not expect a straight up rejection. My suggestion would be to offer students an interview if he or she gets a high GPA after the first quarter 3.7+. The MA class is about 80, with about half pre-dent. We are talking about offering <30 interviews to students doing well in a challenging program, including students who already have good stats from undergrad. At least give them a shot at making the waiting list. The adcom can keep them on the list until their second quarter grades come out and decide to accept or reject them then. (Everyone from the biomed program that made the waiting list for AZCOM were accepted last year...but I know it is a much different situation for dental)
2) If we are not getting a positive response when we are a student at this university right now, will it change once we finish the program and are no longer a student here? Will there be any benefits for doing the masters at this university if we apply again next year?
3) Admissions came and gave us a talk last quarter. They left us the impression that all applicants are judged based on their undergrad stats and the grad GPA carries very little weight. Many of us are wondering why are we doing this program at all (another reason of complaint)!

alright, there's probly no way that they'll garuntee 30 people an interview solely off of 1 quarter of work. i do feel you on the negative vibe not being cool. who gave that admissions talk last quarter? dr. polk or zais? was it a dental rep or was it someone from the school's admissions dept?

alright, there's probly no way that they'll garuntee 30 people an interview solely off of 1 quarter of work. i do feel you on the negative vibe not being cool. who gave that admissions talk last quarter? dr. polk or zais? was it a dental rep or was it someone from the school's admissions dept?

It's alright oracle DMD! We all know that you are trying to help. I would just hope that things would be better next cycle when we finish the program.

It was someone from the school's admissions dept.

Last edited:
It's alright oracle DMD! We are know that you are trying to help. I would just hope that things would be better next cycle when we finish the program.

It was someone from the school's admission's dept.

i get the just of it, i'll try to ask the right questions and get a couple straight answers for ya in the am.

It was Mr. Walter who gave the talk.

To address the initial concern, the problem with the biomed-dental relations is that there are none! Dental is allegedly making promises to the biomed faculty who relay that information to its students and future applicants.

I know it's hard to make a decision after one quarter of work, but at least make it blatantly clear in the agreement that it will only start to kick in for the following application cycle after the program.

OK, so i got some answers this morning to pass on. 1st thing is that the dental school did not make any promises to anyone about anything. the unviversity has these requirements that they say will garuntee you an interview at ANY program on campus. note that this produces a lot of "courtesy interviews". think about someone who hits a 3.2 for a masters and has a 18 DAT, that may get them an interview but that is far from competitive. there is no reason for garunteed interviews, and there is a meeting going on today with the higher ups that will address this.

from the dental school's standpoint, nobody gets special considerations. you are either qualified or not. your undergrad gpa will be looked at, but you should finish the masters program and that will be looked at too, at that needs to be up in 3.8 stratisphere.

also, people are apply without new grades! the dental school gets your 1st quarter grades in december! the app deadline is like the 31st of december so they cant keep you on hold until march for you to meet the courtesy interview requirement.

i have to go, but ill talk more about this later.

OK, so i got some answers this morning to pass on. 1st thing is that the dental school did not make any promises to anyone about anything. the unviversity has these requirements that they say will garuntee you an interview at ANY program on campus. note that this produces a lot of "courtesy interviews". think about someone who hits a 3.2 for a masters and has a 18 DAT, that may get them an interview but that is far from competitive. there is no reason for garunteed interviews, and there is a meeting going on today with the higher ups that will address this.

from the dental school's standpoint, nobody gets special considerations. you are either qualified or not. your undergrad gpa will be looked at, but you should finish the masters program and that will be looked at too, at that needs to be up in 3.8 stratisphere.

also, people are apply without new grades! the dental school gets your 1st quarter grades in december! the app deadline is like the 31st of december so they cant keep you on hold until march for you to meet the courtesy interview requirement.

i have to go, but ill talk more about this later.

Realistically, the only students on this campus that would use the guaranteed interview are the students in the biomedical sciences program. I completely agree that a 3.0 requirement is very low and would pretty much guarantee an interview to everyone who finishes the program. My suggestion would be for the agreement to move it to at least a 3.5, but give everyone who qualifies a legitimate shot. If the dental school would rather interview someone with a 3.3 from undergrad than someone with a 3.5+ with a master's degree and a proven curriculum from its own university, then so be it (It just shows how much the dental school here doesn't value the master's program at all. Once again, it's a different case for AZCOM) Sadly, there are other dental schools out there that values this program much more.

I hope the meeting today involves the director from the biomedical sciences as well.

Realistically, the only students on this campus that would use the guaranteed interview are the students in the biomedical sciences program. I completely agree that a 3.0 requirement is very low and would pretty much guarantee an interview to everyone who finishes the program. My suggestion would be for the agreement to move it to at least a 3.5, but give everyone who qualifies a legitimate shot. If the dental school would rather interview someone with a 3.3 from undergrad than someone with a 3.5+ with a master's degree and a proven curriculum from its own university, then so be it (It just shows how much the dental school here doesn't value the master's program at all. Once again, it's a different case for AZCOM) Sadly, there are other dental schools out there that values this program much more.

I hope the meeting today involves the director from the biomedical sciences as well.

the dental school doesn't have anything bad to say about our masters program, we have great students in every class from there. however, the students that get in are not given special considerations for coming from the MWU masters, rather than any other program. if you are qualified, you get a shot, if not, you don't. 1 quarter of 4.0 is not enough to mask a horrible undergrad gpa. i think next year, they will add that you have to finish the program with a 3.5+ and THEN get an interview.

you can't really be upset about not getting in after 1 or 2 quarters of work, especially if you haven't retaken the DAT since not getting in the 1st time (if it wasn't great). finish the program and then apply.

I am also in the MA program, and I know what exactly you are talking about, but this program is a joke, I graduated undergrad with a 2.8 in Bio, and I have a 4.0 in the program. If I can get a 4.0 with an undergrad gpa of 2.8 it doesn't mean ****. I would personally move the GPA requirement to a 4.0 for an interview, everyone in the program has like a 3.8 so it doesn't mean any crap and if i remember correctly, they said they wouldn't consider any MA students until l they were done with the program. Don't hate on Midwestern!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also in the MA program, and I know what exactly you are talking about, but this program is a joke, I graduated undergrad with a 2.8 in Bio, and I have a 4.0 in the program. If I can get a 4.0 with an undergrad gpa of 2.8 it doesn't mean ****. I would personally move the GPA requirement to a 4.0 for an interview, everyone in the program has like a 3.8 so it doesn't mean any crap and if i remember correctly, they said they wouldn't consider any MA students until l they were done with the program. Don't hate on Midwestern!

??? I don't understand what you are saying in this post??? So do you like Midwestern or you don't?

I as well am completing the Masters at Midwestern. First off you shouldn't be badmouthing a program you are into that shows me that maybe you didn't deserve an interview for being unprofessional. The Dental Faculty really like the Masters program as all the students coming from the program so far are doing really well with the dental sciences. As the agreement stated which I had no clue it existed you need two full quarters. With so many students wanting to enter the school there is no way they can give interviews to everyone. The dental school is very selective especially who they accept or place into the waitlist. If you have any questions about why or why not I suggest to arrange a meeting with Dr. Polk. I've found the dental faculty to be very respectful and wanting to help out and advice as best as they can. One thing that remains true is their need to remain fair towards all applicants and they can not show favoritism to anyone or that would just be plain unethical. I had a bad undergrad experience and have done well here. I did not get into MWU but I have been accepted at other schools. It took me some courage to determine why but it is something you need to speak with Dr. Polk. It is unfair to badmouth the program because you got straight up rejected. Finish strong and reapply. Showing interest and that you are clearly dedicated to Dentistry by continuing to shadow and show consistent community service you will have a better chance. Many students don't get in the first time they apply. This was my third cycle and I feel I am more appreciative for the acceptances that I have gotten because of it. Cherish your time here and make sure you perform well then reapply.

I as well am completing the Masters at Midwestern. First off you shouldn't be badmouthing a program you are into that shows me that maybe you didn't deserve an interview for being unprofessional. The Dental Faculty really like the Masters program as all the students coming from the program so far are doing really well with the dental sciences. As the agreement stated which I had no clue it existed you need two full quarters. With so many students wanting to enter the school there is no way they can give interviews to everyone. The dental school is very selective especially who they accept or place into the waitlist. If you have any questions about why or why not I suggest to arrange a meeting with Dr. Polk. I've found the dental faculty to be very respectful and wanting to help out and advice as best as they can. One thing that remains true is their need to remain fair towards all applicants and they can not show favoritism to anyone or that would just be plain unethical. I had a bad undergrad experience and have done well here. I did not get into MWU but I have been accepted at other schools. It took me some courage to determine why but it is something you need to speak with Dr. Polk. It is unfair to badmouth the program because you got straight up rejected. Finish strong and reapply. Showing interest and that you are clearly dedicated to Dentistry by continuing to shadow and show consistent community service you will have a better chance. Many students don't get in the first time they apply. This was my third cycle and I feel I am more appreciative for the acceptances that I have gotten because of it. Cherish your time here and make sure you perform well then reapply.

TRUE THAT! :horns::horns: If you are intested in dentistry, bust your butt to do whatever it takes to get in.

I just got accepted to the one year masters program in human nutrition at Columbia. Does anyone know how beneficial the program is in helping students get into dental school? Here is their curriculum:

http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/ihn/programs/ihn_programs0001.html

Anyone else applied? Or any other previous graduates use this program to gain entry into dental school? Please share.

You will not be accepted with the minimum stats. There is too much competition because most applicants have well above these "minimum required" criteria. Take a look at predents.com to get an idea of what the true average minimum stats are for each school and work to get yours in or near this range. Good luck!

Not true.

Hi evolvedthought congrats for ur acceptance in dental school , but plz can u tell me more about your program MS in biomedical, i m foreign trained dentist , my dream is to practise in usa as dentists i was in usa last year just finished my dental graduation bt due to low GPA i am thinkin of doing masters then try for dental school wht do u think how much it will benefit and wt job prospectus u have after completion of masters ?? Thnx in advance :)

Plz can anyone sugest me guide me , which course to join to compensate low GPA and which would also help me in applying for dental school , i am foreign trained dentist . Thnx in advance :)

As am I and have no way to afford an expensive program. I pretty much need someplace to give me a stipend or at least help with with tuition

There are definitely MS programs out there that essentially pay you to go to grad school which is what I am doing! I knew I wanted to get an MS before dental school but I couldn't afford to pay $15,000+ for a one year program in biomedical sciences or a related field so I searched around and found some research based programs that were 2 years long and actually paid you $15,000/year! While 2 years may seem long, I believe its a better deal than the 1 year MS programs because well, 1) they pay you, 2) you can teach undergrads and learn more on your own, 3) do research on a topic of your interest, 4) dental school will see your grades during the entire first year whereas dental school will not see grades with the one year program if you want to enter dental school after the one year program ends.

Reactions: 1 users
I found this thread and I am interested in knowing if anyone else had success getting into dental school because of a masters program? I am currently in a thesis based Neuroscience masters program and I was wondering how much advantage this will actually give me. Please share your thoughts. I think this is a great thread and should be more active.