Match Day Ceremony Results Release Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meowfish6868

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm off base, but my understanding was that schools can give students their match results at 12 pm EST during match day ceremonies. Results will be available for students not attending match ceremonies at 1 pm EST, which is when the results are posted to the R3 system website. Source: Match Calendars - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

My school is adamant that we cannot open envelopes until 1 pm EST, however, it's my understanding that you can find out an hour earlier if you're attending a school-sponsored match day event. This is the reason why most students have chosen to attend my school's ceremony. One of my family members who is attending our ceremony has very limited mobility, so I'd rather not to attend if my school is unnecessarily withholding our results...

Members don't see this ad.

... what is your question?

It sounds like you have a good reason not to attend the match day ceremony, but you're correct you'll be "delayed" in finding out where you matched by an hour. You've already waited all week, what's one more hour? You're probably going to waste more than an hour trying to convince your school to release your match result to you when at the end of the day it's just not a big deal.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow dude I'd be pissed lol.. Literally no reason to go to that ceremony if you can just open it on your phone

Not sure how the whole institution is just letting that happen.. I'm pretty sure someone could report them lmao.. Probably won't effect this year but maybe future years

Best of luck anyways though!

Wow dude I'd be pissed lol.. Literally no reason to go to that ceremony if you can just open it on your phone

Not sure how the whole institution is just letting that happen.. I'm pretty sure someone could report them lmao.. Probably won't effect this year but maybe future years

Best of luck anyways though!

This is pretty normal. You either go open your envelope with your class or you wait an hour and get a email.

Reactions: 4 users
If I'm reading correctly - the issue is that the OP's school only lets people open their envelopes at 1pm EST, which is the same time they'd get the email anyway. In which case, it's up to you whether you want to hang out with your fellow students vs stay home and celebrate with family, since it won't change when you find out either way.

If this was a typo and you meant to say that you'd get results at 12pm EST if you attended and 1pm EST if you didn't, that's typical, as everyone else has said. My school does this the exact same way. I'll be attending our celebration tomorrow because I'd rather not wait, but I know a few people who'd rather wait an extra hour and find their results in private. It's a personal choice as to which is more important to you.

... what is your question?

It sounds like you have a good reason not to attend the match day ceremony, but you're correct you'll be "delayed" in finding out where you matched by an hour. You've already waited all week, what's one more hour? You're probably going to waste more than an hour trying to convince your school to release your match result to you when at the end of the day it's just not a big deal.

Definitely was to wordy, but I was asking if we can open envelopes at 12 pm EST? My school incorrectly said it’d be a match violation to do so. My school admins finally acknowledge that they were incorrect, but will still make us wait to open them until 1pm EST this year and every year moving forward.

You were absolutely right that I’d be wasting my time by trying to change minds though :rolleyes:

My school allowed us to open at 12, but the school affiliated with my residency didn’t and made everyone wait til 1. So the people that graduated from there were super confused our match day as interns when we asked if they had heard from anyone in the 4th year class about matches.

So as chief, I knew who we matched for the upcoming intern class at 12 PM EST. I knew one of the applicants that matched so I texted that individual saying "congrats on matching with us!". Little did I know that this student's med school made them open their envelopes at 1PM EST. Broke the news by about 40 minutes lol

Reactions: 1 user