Match dermatology as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1726

Reaction score
How hard is it to match into dermatology as a DO student? What should I do to increase my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

It can be done. I have had several students match derm over the years, but like any competitive specialty, you have to put together a competitive app for that specialty, and then some. To match a rock star specialty like ENT, Neurosurg,Ortho, Derm, and others, you better be a rock star too.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 2 users
It's possible, but you will need to be excellent.

I know 3 people who matcher derm:
First one matched MD, 260s step scores on both, rotated at the place and they like them and took them. They were top 5 in their med school class.
Second one had 250/260s USMLE. Also matched MD. Had 20 publications. Also top 5 in their class.
Third one had a 240s Step 1, but a 270s Step 2. 700/900s on COMLEX 1/2. 15 publications and number 1 in their class. They matched to a DO program.

You see the trend.

Reactions: 1 users
You have to be, the very best

Like no one ever was

To dry the wets, is your real test

To wet the drys is your cause

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Thank you everyone! I'm going to get involved in research soon, does this need to be related to dermatology? I think it might be hard to find derm-related research but I will try my best.

Yes, do your best to get meaningful derm related research. Something peripherally related is maybe ok, but get as close to derm relevant as possible.

I'm at an allopathic program and we've had a DO resident come through not long ago who was/is spectacular. I believe we interviewed a few DO applicants last year. Typically, once people get an interview here, they are on a relatively level playing field so to speak.

Thank you everyone! I'm going to get involved in research soon, does this need to be related to dermatology? I think it might be hard to find derm-related research but I will try my best.
Students routinely participate in a year devoted entirely to derm research in order to match.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
At the risk of reviving a zombie thread, my best recommendation would be to identify a mentor early. Look for a program faculty or program director who is a DO early on and camped out at their door. That is how I got my spot almost 20 years ago.