Matched at program A, Program B sends survey on why I didn't rank them to match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dggopal

Fluffy McFlufferson
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a survey request from a newish program indicating that they ranked me to match and asked me to detail anything that influenced me to rank them lower than number 1. How honest should I be? Now at this program, I remember the one thing that turned me off was a particular resident being sort of a douche throughout my interview experience. I don't remember names or anything and I wouldn't do that to someone especially since I have no interaction with them anymore, but I also want to help this program out by letting them know that they need to consider which residents they expose their incoming class to.

Members don't see this ad.

So I got a survey request from a newish program indicating that they ranked me to match and asked me to detail anything that influenced me to rank them lower than number 1. How honest should I be? Now at this program, I remember the one thing that turned me off was a particular resident being sort of a douche throughout my interview experience. I don't remember names or anything and I wouldn't do that to someone especially since I have no interaction with them anymore, but I also want to help this program out by letting them know that they need to consider which residents they expose their incoming class to.
Just say what you want within professional reasons, unless you may want to do a fellowship there.

..., but I also want to help this program out by letting them know that they need to consider which residents they expose their incoming class to.

That's it, make it short and to the point. And do not disparage or single out any specific resident; just note the type of resident you would respond to favorably, and the type of resident that you would not.

Please tell them (me). We need to know these things. It will not affect any fellowship application in the future -- that's crazy.

Reactions: 4 users
I wouldn't name names. But there is nothing really wrong with saying you found one of the residents somewhat abrasive and so didn't think it was the best fit for you.

Just bear in mind that you still have a job search or maybe More training in the future and probably don't want to say anything that could burn a bridge.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a program that would have been high considerations for my #1 choice. But a second year resident that interviewed me was a complete jerk. He was demeaning and belittling during the interview, and very abrasive. After the interview day was over, I asked the other student who was interviewing how he liked the place, and his response was "Man everything was wonderful except for that a**hole resident that interviewed us".

When it came to rank, I thought about having this guy as a senior resident for a year, and the thought terrified me. It took the program from 1-2 all the way to #8 on my list. And honestly, if they ask me I would love to tell them.

I get your experience... If it was an interview, I would at least understand.... the program my wife matched at was like that, but the PD was insane during the interview. After getting to know him, he explained that it was an interview technique to cut through the bull****... Go in trying to tear the candidate down and see what stays up... that's the basest truth of the person. I don't agree, but at least I can see the reasoning.

I didn't match way back when, and I got one of those surveys a few days after the match. That was painful to fill out since I had to scramble into a different specialty a few days after a major shift in my life's plans. It all worked out in the end though. I answered their questions about what I liked and didn't like about the interview day.

I didn't match way back when, and I got one of those surveys a few days after the match. That was painful to fill out since I had to scramble into a different specialty a few days after a major shift in my life's plans. It all worked out in the end though. I answered their questions about what I liked and didn't like about the interview day.

This makes no sense. We should only send you a survey if you were on our rank list above our final match. If that's the case, and you didn't match, the only possibility is that you didn't rank us. If programs are sending surveys like this to people below their final match, that's just plain mean.

We do end up with a similar problem for couples. Sometimes we send a survey like this to someone on our list, and the answer is "My spouse wasn't ranked high enough on (another specialty's) list)". That's unfortunate.

Can I send some surveys to the programs I didn't match at?

I do get emails asking what people could have done better. Honestly, usually I send a generic email back about how it was a competitive year, etc. This is an HR directive -- it's easy to get sued for saying something.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This makes no sense. We should only send you a survey if you were on our rank list about our final match. If that's the case, and you didn't match, the only possibility is that you didn't rank us. If programs are sending surveys like this to people below their final match, that's just plain mean.

Two years ago I got such an e-mail from someone I ranked higher than my current program. It's an ongoing practice for some, it seems. I agree--sending the surveys after match day to people that you ranked below your lowest rank is mean. If you do it before match day, you're likely to get feedback that is honest, because people are still hoping to match there, or hoping they don't.

On one of my interview days, there was a resident who really stood out as abrasive. I thought I'd never end up at that program because of that resident; yup, matched there. And the resident is actually super awesome - I was just wrong.

So I wouldn't name names or point fingers or try to stop residencies from having their residents interact with interviewees - that's what you want to see, all the residents and all the warts. If a resident had particular behaviors, you could mention those (called people names, bad-mouthed things, etc.) and that might help the PD instruct said residents. Or just say it wasn't a good fit; sounds like it could have been more of a personality conflict than anything.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a program that would have been high considerations for my #1 choice. But a second year resident that interviewed me was a complete jerk. He was demeaning and belittling during the interview, and very abrasive. After the interview day was over, I asked the other student who was interviewing how he liked the place, and his response was "Man everything was wonderful except for that a**hole resident that interviewed us".

When it came to rank, I thought about having this guy as a senior resident for a year, and the thought terrified me. It took the program from 1-2 all the way to #8 on my list. And honestly, if they ask me I would love to tell them.

I think in this case where the resident was chosen to interview candidates it may be appropriate to send a brief email to the program director as a professional courtesy. Last thing the PD wants us to be shooting himself in the foot next year unintentionally.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm sure in the future you'll be facing much more important decision send this as a resident. Do what you think is correct