Matched into new program, can I quit my current one? (Also mini-rant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daisy_Buchanan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title says it- I matched to switch into my dream specialty after 2 years in the most malignant dumpster fire of a program/specialty ever. I had intended to finish out the year in my current program, but we are treated like such garbage that I’m starting to consider hanging it up early. I don’t feel that I owe the program or faculty a thing. Of course I don’t want to screw my co-residents, but I’m nudged along by the fact that the rotations I have left wouldn’t be that hard up if they were to lose a person. (And to be honest, the fact that we are told that they’d be better off w/out us on a daily basis, despite busting our asses w/ 95+ work weeks. Jerks.)

Obviously, I would NOT do this if it could compromise my new position in any way. My new program is at the same institution, so there’s that.

Resident/faculty relations at my current program are so bad, that I really can’t imagine them getting worse no matter what happens. But I also don’t put anything past them- they have pulled some seriously shady tricks in the past and can be quite creative. (Example: when a resident switched specialties last year, they wrote him recs with a smile and then rescinded them once he was in the throes of interview season.) So, I’m worried that they might have more tricks up their sleeves that haven’t occurred to me. Would I be safe in throwing in the towel or not?

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Your new program is match committed to you. So they can't "change their mind" because you quit this program, as long as you have any requisite training to start this new program.

However, your current program could cause all sorts of problems for you:

1. They could give you a poor evaluation. You'll need this when you apply for licenses, or hire at any institution. Chances are this wouldn't end your career, but could slow down licensing and credentialing as you try to explain it.
2. More importantly, since this is the same institution, they could do something to screw up onboarding to your new program. If they file a report with HR documenting problems, you might fail the onboarding process. Much like failing a drug test, you would lose your spot.
3. If you do quit, you will probably be term'ed and then need to redo all of orientation.

Reactions: 1 users
I know someone who did this a couple days after match day when they found out where they matched.
I wouldn’t recommend it, but you wouldn’t be the first person.

I should probably know this, but do you mean your actual monthly evals, or just the PD’s synopsis/what he tells your employer? Even if they say “ this person sucked,” but you didn’t commit any actual infraction, how would it hold up licensing? Also..of course I will have to say that I spent x years at program A, but since I didn’t complete that program (by my own choice), and WILL finish a residency in another specialty, will the first program even be called?

I’m not arguing at all, just genuinely not clear on how post residency licensing/credentialing works.

The title says it- I matched to switch into my dream specialty after 2 years in the most malignant dumpster fire of a program/specialty ever. I had intended to finish out the year in my current program, but we are treated like such garbage that I’m starting to consider hanging it up early. I don’t feel that I owe the program or faculty a thing. Of course I don’t want to screw my co-residents, but I’m nudged along by the fact that the rotations I have left wouldn’t be that hard up if they were to lose a person. (And to be honest, the fact that we are told that they’d be better off w/out us on a daily basis, despite busting our asses w/ 95+ work weeks. Jerks.)

Obviously, I would NOT do this if it could compromise my new position in any way. My new program is at the same institution, so there’s that.

Resident/faculty relations at my current program are so bad, that I really can’t imagine them getting worse no matter what happens. But I also don’t put anything past them- they have pulled some seriously shady tricks in the past and can be quite creative. (Example: when a resident switched specialties last year, they wrote him recs with a smile and then rescinded them once he was in the throes of interview season.) So, I’m worried that they might have more tricks up their sleeves that haven’t occurred to me. Would I be safe in throwing in the towel or not?
It's April. You have less than two and a half months left.

Just finish it off and do your best to burn no bridges - and walk out with a smile on June 30.

Reactions: 4 users
It's April. You have less than two and a half months left.

Just finish it off and do your best to burn no bridges - and walk out with a smile on June 30.

*hangs head* of course, I know that’s the grown-up thing to do.

A fellow intern and I got ourselves through part of intern year by swearing, “we’ll quit today, we’ll quit tomorrow, etc etc.” Of course, neither of us had any power whatsoever to change our situations at the time, but pretending to was therapeutic. Maybe this is the same thing.

Incidentally, how dangerous would it be to give the ACGME a heads up about the crap that’s going on at the end of the year? We’ve had multiple site visits and investigations for various incidents, but little comes of any of it because they’re only shown the tip of the iceberg. Also, people (previously, myself included) get the fear put into them before the yearly survey, leading them to pretty up their answers. I don’t want to beat a dead horse or even seek revenge, but we’re talking about a program with flagrant ethical violations that really shouldn’t be allowed to hurt any more people.

Last edited:
I'm in the exact same boat right now, although my new program is at a different institution. I absolutely hate it here but decided to just grind it out for a few more months not to screw over my co-residents (I couldn't give less of a crap about the attendings). At the very least, I get a paycheck every two weeks so that's reason to finish it out. Also you never know who you'll run into or what you may need in the future from someone, best to not burn any bridges as mentioned above.

Incidentally, how dangerous would it be to give the ACGME a heads up about the crap that’s going on at the end of the year? We’ve had multiple site visits and investigations for various incidents, but little comes of any of it because they’re only shown the tip of the iceberg. Also, people (previously, myself included) get the fear put into them before the yearly survey, leading them to pretty up their answers. I don’t want to beat a dead horse or even seek revenge, but we’re talking about a program with flagrant ethical violations that really shouldn’t be allowed to hurt any more people.

If you feel strongly enough about, an anonymous message to the ACGME could be considered, after you start your new program.

However, this action is not recommended, especially because you're staying at the same institution (and may have to interact with those folks again, who would be suspicious that the ACGME cracked down right after you left).

Remember: "They can always hurt you more".

• Fantasize about it but don't take action on it.
  • First and foremost take excellent care of your patients and don't neglect them on account of your feelings toward your program.
  • Don't badmouth the program to the other residents that have to remain in the program after you leave, they will remember.
  • Don't burn bridges on your way out the door, you will be seeing these people again and again, medicine is a small world.
  • "They can always hurt you more, but they can't stop the clock."

Reactions: 3 users
I should probably know this, but do you mean your actual monthly evals, or just the PD’s synopsis/what he tells your employer? Even if they say “ this person sucked,” but you didn’t commit any actual infraction, how would it hold up licensing? Also..of course I will have to say that I spent x years at program A, but since I didn’t complete that program (by my own choice), and WILL finish a residency in another specialty, will the first program even be called?

I’m not arguing at all, just genuinely not clear on how post residency licensing/credentialing works.

For your entire career you will have to list your training at this program for any licensing or credentialing even if you don’t finish the year/graduate. And for all licensing they will need verification forms from the program about your training time there. In perpetuity. They could be pains in your ass for the rest of your life if they wanted to be petty.

Just finish the year.