Matched to internship, now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomapplicant22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there's the typical timeline for applying for post-doc programs, but what about those interested in an academic job? Do people usually apply to both? Is there anything other than finishing up some manuscripts that I can do on internship to better prepare my application for tenure-track jobs at research and/or teaching colleges? Is it worth starting up new projects during internship? I'm at a UCC if that helps.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that there's the typical timeline for applying for post-doc programs, but what about those interested in an academic job? Do people usually apply to both? Is there anything other than finishing up some manuscripts that I can do on internship to better prepare my application for tenure-track jobs at research and/or teaching colleges? Is it worth starting up new projects during internship? I'm at a UCC if that helps.

It's possible to land a tenure-track academic job straight out of internship, but you should also apply to postdocs in case you don't get any offers. The market is still very tough.

Starting up new projects is potentially helpful if they build on your research agenda and/or lead to possible funding opportunities in your area. Don't invest in low-value projects that aren't going to help your career, and definitely don't start anything you're not sure you can finish.

Reactions: 1 user