Matching in peds for Ross, SGU, AUC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghpc19

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already been accepted to Ross for the January '05 term, and have also sent in applications to SGU and AUC. Although I know it can change in the future, my main interest has been peds. From what I have gathered by doing searches here at SDN and on the internet, peds isn't one of the extremely difficult residencies (e.g. derm, opthto) to match in for IMGs. I was wondering, of the "big three" is there really one that would give me the greatest chance to match in peds, or are they pretty even?

One other thing that I have been considering is location. It seems like SGU and AUC appear to be better in terms of the island and living conditions.

Members don't see this ad.

ghpc19 said:
I've already been accepted to Ross for the January '05 term, and have also sent in applications to SGU and AUC. Although I know it can change in the future, my main interest has been peds. From what I have gathered by doing searches here at SDN and on the internet, peds isn't one of the extremely difficult residencies (e.g. derm, opthto) to match in for IMGs. I was wondering, of the "big three" is there really one that would give me the greatest chance to match in peds, or are they pretty even?

One other thing that I have been considering is location. It seems like SGU and AUC appear to be better in terms of the island and living conditions.

One of our recent grads just match in Med/Peds, somewhat more competitive than categorical Peds, at University of Florida. It's doable. You just have to get through the program.

Focus on "now", not later. There will be lots of challenges ahead of you. If you can get past the hurdles, you'll get into a Peds program no problems. Just know that what lies ahead is going to be more difficult than you can imagine now...

Good luck!

-Skip

You should be able to get this info from SGU as I am sure they would like to 'advertise' this sort of fact to attract more students.
Good luck!
:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies!

If it's the case that I end up holding acceptances to SGU and AUC (in addition to Ross), I think I'd have a hard time choosing one out of the three because they're all good schools. Like everyone says, I know it will ultimately be my effort and work that determines the "later" (i.e. passing boards, matching), but it's always nice to hear/read other people's opinions on why they chose one particular school over another.

ghpc19 said:
Thanks for the replies!

If it's the case that I end up holding acceptances to SGU and AUC (in addition to Ross), I think I'd have a hard time choosing one out of the three because they're all good schools. Like everyone says, I know it will ultimately be my effort and work that determines the "later" (i.e. passing boards, matching), but it's always nice to hear/read other people's opinions on why they chose one particular school over another.

I'll make it easy for you: Choose SGU. They have MUCH better clinical rotation opportunities right now. (This is a real sore spot for Ross students... our school needs to "step up".)

-Skip