Matching in the NE with low STEP scores and Minimal Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TripleOpIMXD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently a PGY1 who decided late on hematology/oncology.

Planning to apply to match next summer. Location is a huge factor for me. I was planning on only applying to programs closest to NY/NJ/PA and would go to any of the programs regardless of prestige.

My goal is to get to the best program but I would be more than happy with any community program as my career goals is to be community Oncologist.

My background
USMD from Mid tier NE program with Heme Onc prog
STEP I: 220s
STEP II: 240
Research: 2 3rd author basic science papers in chem engineering back in college. 1 2nd author basic science paper in biomed engineering in med school
No heme Onc related research but trying to find something right now
Good LORs

List of programs:
Northwell Winthrop Cornell NYU Mt Sinai Lenox Hill Rutgers Stony Brook , Seton Hall, Monte Albert Einstein Lehigh Allegheny Jefferson Dartmouth Brown BU Tufts St. Elizabeth Uconn, Umass
Just to name a few

1) What are my chances of matching if I only apply to the northeast programs above?

2) How important is Heme Onc research when it comes to community programs that are not research heavy? Ex Allegheny, Lehigh, Seton Hall

2) Can I still match to community program without hemonc research with these stats? Trying to find a mentor and find a project ASAP but right now schedule is backloaded with ICU and I start with CCU/wards rotations next year.

3) How much will these scores hold me back when applying?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have lower step scores than yours and matched this past cycle. I had multiple interviews on your NE list.

I didn't apply community but at more than half of my interviews all people talked about was anticipated research direction. There are some "lower-tier" academic (to pick a few examples from your list above: Northwell, Rutgers, Tufts, BU) where they didn't care about research as much. But yeah, I would recommend getting on some kind of project next year/ASAP to check the requisite box and also have something to talk about in case you get asked on interviews.

In your case I actually find the lack of heme-onc specific research to be a weaker point than your step scores overall. I didn't think step scores were too make-or-break as long as you cleared filters, and I think that 220/240 is not too bad. I got filtered out at a bunch of places with mine (200/230).

Last edited:
Lulu is on the right track, I have a friend in PA who were very similar and I'm sure he can help you out. inbox me I will connect you with him.