Matching into competitive specialty as MD/PhD, how much clinical research do I need.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stingyepidermis

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an M2 at a mid tier MSTP. Without going into to much detail, I am pretty confident I would like to match into a competitive specialty because I think it would be a great fit for me scientifically and clinically.

Unfortunately my school rarely matches into this specialty and even more rarely are they MD/PhDs. and my home department has been less than helpful in helping me (or anyone really) get opportunities to do clinical research. I am concerned that compared to my MD only colleagues I will not have the numerous clinical pubs that they have.

My question is, how much will a productive PhD (in a similar field) compensate for this when trying to match? Should I spend some time in my PhD still trying to get clinical research in this specialty, or will my work in PhD be enough? I am hoping to match into programs aimed at MD/PhD graduates that have protected research time if that makes a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This is where mentorship in that specific specialty is needed to gauge the expectations. I can tell you my experiences in my particular specialty, for example. But, I don't know how much it applies...

Since your home institution is not helpful, you can ask on SDN in the specialty specific forum. What you want to find are recent applicants or current residents in a similar position or program directors or mentors in your specialty particularly at research heavy institutions.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

I am an M2 at a mid tier MSTP. Without going into to much detail, I am pretty confident I would like to match into a competitive specialty because I think it would be a great fit for me scientifically and clinically.

Unfortunately my school rarely matches into this specialty and even more rarely are they MD/PhDs. and my home department has been less than helpful in helping me (or anyone really) get opportunities to do clinical research. I am concerned that compared to my MD only colleagues I will not have the numerous clinical pubs that they have.

My question is, how much will a productive PhD (in a similar field) compensate for this when trying to match? Should I spend some time in my PhD still trying to get clinical research in this specialty, or will my work in PhD be enough? I am hoping to match into programs aimed at MD/PhD graduates that have protected research time if that makes a difference.
If there are programs that have a strong basic science research base (I assume your PhD is in basic science, not clinical/epi/computational stuff...), and have faculty members who are doing similar research to your PhD research (that's to say, your research skills would be needed for their department), you might have an edge. If the department is mostly clinically focused, they might not care too much about basic science research and your PhD might be less helpful

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

Start with end in mind and work backwards, but be realistic about things.
- Review the NRMP data and ask if you realistically can do this with your metrics. Recognize it is retrospective data and depending on how far out you are from matching, things may change a lot. https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Charting-Outcomes-MD-Seniors-2022_Final.pdf
- Reach out to talk to program directors or faculty at the programs you would want to match into, ideally outside the usual NRMP calendar when they are flooded with contacts from residents.
- Look at the academic organizations associated with that specialty as they generally have med student sections and can help you identify thought leaders that want to develop/mentor physician scientists.
- Ask yourself if you'd rather be in that specialty as a clinician or straddling clinic/research in a different specialty. Competitive clinical specialties generally have applicants with significant research in the field already as you noted but they also have a very limited amount of physician scientist residency spots. When you get out, there are then significant pressure for clinicians to make profit which reduces the ability for departments to support protected time for Ks or other development pathways if you choose the classic NIH pathway.

I generally find people are overly optimistic about MSTPer's chances. The PhD and MSTP flag alone just isn't enough to get you into some of the interview spots.
I also will tell you that sometimes clinicians don't offer simpler case report style projects to MSTPers as they assume you want 'real' research. It takes persistence and rizz to get faculty to bite in some situations.

Reactions: 2 users