Math class - what would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TigerlilyDC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice from the all-knowing SDN forum. My situation is this:

I'm done with the Chem sequence. I'm taking Bio 1 this summer. I plan to take Bio 2 in the fall along with Physics 1. I will take Physics 2 in the Spring (along with BioChem) and take the MCAT in the summer and apply. At my school, there are 3 levels of Physics. The level I need for pre-med is in the middle and the math requirement is pre-calculus. I haven't taken math in so long that I needed to go in for a placement test. Things went better than expected and I actually placed into the Honors Calculus class, bypassing pre-calc altogether. So, I'm trying to figure out what to do this summer that will put me in the best position to not only do well in Physics (which I'm nervous about), but will look good for my application as well. The choices, as I see them, are the following:

1. Do not take any math class this summer and jump straight into physics in the fall.
Pros: I will have more time this summer to devote to the volunteering and shadowing experience that I’m trying to get, since extra time for those activities will be greatly lessened between the fall and time I plan to take the MCAT and apply (next summer).
Cons: I have not had any formal math in 10 years and I have never taken Physics at all. Since I need to be sure to get an A in Physics, I want to be as prepared as possible.

2. Take Pre-Calculus, as recommended as the pre-rec for Physics 201.
Pros: I’m fairly confident I could get an A in this class, which will help boost my GPA and it will help prepare for Physics.
Cons: This class likely won’t add anything to my Med school application. I don’t think they care about pre-calculus.

3. Take Calculus (not honors, just regular).
Pros: If pre-calc is recommended as preparation for Physics 201, than calc is likely even better preparation. Also, I know that there are some med schools out there that do require a semester of calculus before matriculation, so having this class on my transcript would certainly not hurt. However, I’m not sure it would necessarily be an actual boost either, since many other applicants are likely to have it on their apps as well. If anything, it will bring me up to ‘average applicant’ status.
Cons: I would need to take this class in a condensed 6 week session and since I haven’t had math in so long (and am taking Bio, volunteering, shadowing and working full-time), I’m not sure how confident I am about pulling an A. If I don’t get an A in this class, there’s no point in taking it. Of course, I could always drop it if things don't seem to be going as they need to and I would just be out some money.

What do you guys think? What would you do??

Members don't see this ad.

Really the question is what physics class are you taking? The algebra based or the calculus based? It all depends on how much math you really want to throw on yourself. You only need the algebra based physics (it makes no difference either way). So brush up on the math class that you need this summer in order to ease the pain of whichever physics class you choose in the fall.

Don't take calculus for the algebra based physics (as you inferred) it will not help you. Physics is purely a math science and you have to be clear on every step of every calculation for each problem. It can be very overwhelming trying to remember the math steps and learn the concepts at the same time.

The physics class I'm going to take is algebra based.

So, taking calculus would be a waste of time for this class? Ok, I'll just take the pre-calc then.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
The physics class I'm going to take is algebra based.

So, taking calculus would be a waste of time for this class? Ok, I'll just take the pre-calc then.

Thanks!
u

It also depends on what schools you apply to. Some want a semester of calculus. Harvard likes two semesters.

Calculus may or may not make physics easier. I'm convinced that taking a semester of calculus before physics helped me a lot, but I'm sure there are others for whom it would make no difference.

I need some advice from the all-knowing SDN forum. My situation is this:

I'm done with the Chem sequence. I'm taking Bio 1 this summer. I plan to take Bio 2 in the fall along with Physics 1. I will take Physics 2 in the Spring (along with BioChem) and take the MCAT in the summer and apply. At my school, there are 3 levels of Physics. The level I need for pre-med is in the middle and the math requirement is pre-calculus. I haven't taken math in so long that I needed to go in for a placement test. Things went better than expected and I actually placed into the Honors Calculus class, bypassing pre-calc altogether.

What do you guys think? What would you do??

Since a good bit of med schools require calc, you should probably go ahead and take it at some point but I wouldn't worry about taking it PRIOR to enrolling in physics if you are not doing the calc. based physics.

It sounds like you have a pretty solid math foundation already. The problem with advising you on what class to take it the fact that we don't know how your professor will teach the class. My physics prof for the algebra based physics reviewed some basic math concepts when it seemed like the class wasn't understanding the math behind the physics which saved a lot of people from having to worry about taking a math class. If your professor is not the type to teach outside of the physics then you could have a problem. At the same time, if you have a math lab at your school, you could always go there to get some tutoring and to brush up on your trigonometry.

Overall, I would say consider all of the resources that your school has to offer before you make a decision.