Math Destroyer Test 11 #9

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Troyvdg

Dentistry not Debtistry
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm already bad at math and these explanations do not help haha,

In order for a console to operate, a green light and a red light must be lit simultaneously. If the red light randomly turns off 20% of the time and the green light randomly turns off 30% of the time, what percent of the time can the console be expected to not be working?

A: 44%

I understand that we solve this for the percentage of time that the light is on and then subtract from 100%

(100%-20%) x (100%-30%)= 56% of time that the light is on....but what I don't understand is how we can multiply these two percentages to solve this problem? weird thing not to understand, but maybe someone can help shed some light :rolleyes:

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

When you use "and" you multiply. (When you use "or", you add.)
So probability of green light AND red light on is
P(G&R) = .8 (.7) = .56
subtract from 1 to get the probability of the console not working
Does that help any? o:

When you use "and" you multiply. (When you use "or", you add.)
So probability of green light AND red light on is
P(G&R) = .8 (.7) = .56
subtract from 1 to get the probability of the console not working
Does that help any? o:

so much swag. thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
[YOUTUBE]DwPDHVEHcvg[/YOUTUBE]

haha you reminded of this video. swag swag swoop~

After a long day studying, that seriously made my day. Swoop! by the way, I am still working on an answer to your question vlaura, I'll PM you tomorrow morning!

[YOUTUBE]DwPDHVEHcvg[/YOUTUBE]

haha you reminded of this video. swag swag swoop~

oh god...Gary I feel you're pain. the world's just not ready for us. It originated in berkeley and we're still suffering. #TYBG