Math in Quant & Chem section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChEStud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been studying for the PCAT using the Kaplan book and some of the answers and problems involve really complicated answers that seem impossible to do by hand. I was just wondering if the math in the Chem/Quant section is indicative of whats on the PCAT?
Thanks!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

It would help if you can post the question, but there are some questions that are just asking you to estimate not to solve by hand.

Ive been studying for the PCAT using the Kaplan book and some of the answers and problems involve really complicated answers that seem impossible to do by hand. I was just wondering if the math in the Chem/Quant section is indicative of whats on the PCAT?
Thanks!:thumbup:

Remember that the PCAT is a test designed to see how well you think and manage time. If you end up with a math problem with ugly math, you should probably move on. Skipping a problem that will take you 5 minutes to do is thinking well and managing time well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally there is some sort of "trick" to do the problem in your head (or at least with minimal time on scratch paper). These generally involve estimating the answer to within a reasonable degree of certainty, and then noticing that only once answer choice is even close to that. If you post some problems that are giving you trouble I could see if I can help you out.

Just as an example though, say you need to solve 6.3X10^-5 = x^2.

You can rewrite it as 63X10^-6=x^2, and that's close enough to 64X10^-6. Now you just have to find the square root of two perfect squares, so x=8X10^-3. This is from a practice problem I did where the ultimate goal was the pH, and x was the concentration of hydrogen ions. Well, that's easy too: we now know the pH is between 3 and 2, but closer to 2. So whatever answer satisfies those criteria is the right one.