Math prep for hard sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainObvious

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to make sure that I have the math that I need to be successful in Chem and Physics. I certainly don't want to go into these classes unprepared as important as they are for the MCAT and acceptance.

I'm currently in Intermediate Algebra and will complete College Algebra next semester.

Following that, I can choose between Statistics, Pre-Calculus Algebra, Pre-Calculus Algebra/Trigonometry, or straight Trig.

I do not currently have the intention of doing the Calc series, but would like to know if any of the above classes will sufficiently prepare me for the hard sciences.

(BTW, I'm NOT a math guy, but I'm told it's mostly about the instructor. If you can find a good one [and put in the time] you'll do fine.)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Out of curiousity, where are you taking your courses? for chem and physics, unless the course says specifically it uses calculus, college level algebra is fine.

Good luck!

Hello,

Out of curiousity, where are you taking your courses? for chem and physics, unless the course says specifically it uses calculus, college level algebra is fine.

Good luck!

All math will be taken at a State College (as opposed to a State University.) After I receive my AA degree, I will take the sciences, both the med school pre-reqs and the ones needed to complete my Bachelors at the University level. At least this is the current plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you provide the course descriptions? Just purely going by the titles, I'd suggest the trig/algebra combo. Trig will help in physics, but you don't need much math-wise for chem.

Something that includes trig will help for physics. You'll also want decent algebra skills. You won't need calculus unless you actually major in chemistry. A basic understanding of statistics is useful in life.

Here are the course descriptions:

MAC 1105 - College Algebra

3 class hours, 3 credit(s)
Prerequisite(s): MAT 1033 with a minimum grade of "C," or Testing
Topics include linear, quadratic, rational, radical, exponential, and logarithmic functions. Graphing and applications are emphasized. A graphing calculator is required. If completed with a grade of "C" or better, this course serves to demonstrate competence for the general education mathematics requirement.

MAC 1140 - Pre-Calculus Algebra

Prerequisite(s): MAC 1105 with a minimum grade of "C" or appropriate CLM score
This is an algebra class designed to prepare students to enter either engineering or calculus courses. Topics covered include exponential and logarithmic functions, polynomials, rational functions, conic sections, sequences and series, mathematical induction, the binomial theorem, and matrices. A graphing calculator is required. If completed with a grade of "C" or better, this course serves to demonstrate competence for the general education mathematics requirement.

MAC 1147 - Pre-Calculus Algebra/Trigonometry

5 class hours, 5 credit(s)
Prerequisite(s): MAC 1105 with a minimum grade of "B," or appropriate CLM score and high school trigonometry
This course is designed for students with strong mathematical backgrounds who need a refresher course before beginning the Calculus sequence. Topics covered are a combination of topics from MAC 1140 and MAC 1114. If completed with a grade of "C" or better, this course serves to demonstrate competence for the general education mathematics requirement. Credit is not given for both MAC 1147 and MAC 1114, or for both MAC 1147 and MAC 1140.

MAC 1114 - Trigonometry

Prerequisite(s): {MAC 1105 or MAC 1106} with a minimum grade of "C," or appropriate CLM score
Topics in this class include the real number system, circular functions, trigonometric functions, inverse relations and functions, trigonometric graphs, solutions of triangles and trigonometric equations, polar coordinates, and complex numbers. This course contains all of the features of trigonometry found in MAC 1147, with additional emphasis on applications. A graphing calculator is required. (May be taken concurrently with MAC 1140.) If completed with a grade of "C" or better, this course serves to demonstrate competence for the general education mathematics requirement.

STA 2023 - Statistical Methods I

4 class hours, 4 credit(s)
Prerequisite(s): MAT 1033 with a minimum grade of "C" or Testing
A graphing calculator is required.
This is an introductory course covering the fundamental topics of statistics. Topics include: descriptive measures, probability, probability distributions, central limit theorem, sampling distributions, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing, correlation, regression analysis and non-parametric test procedures. A graphing calculator is required. If completed with a grade of "C" or better, this course serves to demonstrate competence in the general education mathematics requirement.

Here are the course descriptions:

Thanks. Based on those, I'd recommend the trig course (MAC 1114). The others (pre-calc classes, at least) go farther in math than you'll need.

Stats will be good to take when you have the time, but not needed strictly for chem/physics prep.

Thanks. Based on those, I'd recommend the trig course (MAC 1114). The others (pre-calc classes, at least) go farther in math than you'll need.

Stats will be good to take when you have the time, but not needed strictly for chem/physics prep.

Great information! I don't think I would have chosen that one on my own.

Will I need to strengthen my long forgotten geometry skills or is Trig generally a "from the ground up" type of class?

Thanks!

Great information! I don't think I would have chosen that one on my own.

Will I need to strengthen my long forgotten geometry skills or is Trig generally a "from the ground up" type of class?

Thanks!

You're quite welcome. I'm glad you posted the descriptions, because the algebra/trig class looks like overkill for your needs (5 credits!). Honestly, I would almost say you don't need to take a class so long as you know SOHCAHTOA and some special values for 30, 45, and 60 degree angles (probably because I take it for granted), but it sounds like you will benefit from having some focused study in it. Any long-forgotten geometry skills should be reawakened during class without too much difficulty. If not, PM me for tutoring help. ;)

You're quite welcome. I'm glad you posted the descriptions, because the algebra/trig class looks like overkill for your needs (5 credits!). Honestly, I would almost say you don't need to take a class so long as you know and some special values for 30, 45, and 60 degree angles (probably because I take it for granted), but it sounds like you will benefit from having some focused study in it. Any long-forgotten geometry skills should be reawakened during class without too much difficulty. If not, PM me for tutoring help. ;)

Like I said, I'm no math guy and although I've worked with the basics of SOHCAHTOA, I'm not sure I'd want to risk a crap grade in an important class like physics to avoid taking Trig.

Much appreciated.

Like I said, I'm no math guy and although I've worked with the basics of SOHCAHTOA, I'm not sure I'd want to risk a crap grade in an important class like physics to avoid taking Trig.

Much appreciated.

You don't need to take an entire semesters worth of trig just to prepare for physics, there's hardly any trig in physics... Straight calculus would probably be more help. I'd save my money or take the stats class if I were you...

You don't need to take an entire semesters worth of trig just to prepare for physics, there's hardly any trig in physics... Straight calculus would probably be more help. I'd save my money or take the stats class if I were you...

I assume you're talking about a calculus based physics class?

Calc would only help if you're taking a calc-based physics class. Otherwise, for algebra-based physics, you're going to be more reliant on plug 'n' chug (after learning to recognize the appropriate formulas).

If nothing else, the trig class will give you more time to work on math problems in a structured environment without the additional complication of physics.

That having been said, physics only makes sense with calculus. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Calc would only help if you're taking a calc-based physics class. Otherwise, for algebra-based physics, you're going to be more reliant on plug 'n' chug (after learning to recognize the appropriate formulas).

If nothing else, the trig class will give you more time to work on math problems in a structured environment without the additional complication of physics.

That having been said, physics only makes sense with calculus. :)

Everything only makes sense with calculus!

I assume you're talking about a calculus based physics class?

Well, no I wasn't specifically talking about that because you'll most likely be taking algebra based physics. I just think that calculus gives you a better idea of how one formula is derived from another in general. Neither the calc class nor the trig class will be needed as long as you can do simple algebraic rearrangements (providing you don't take calc based physics, and why would you).

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. Based on this, I suppose it'll be College Algebra and possibly Stats then right into Gen Chem.

Just a heads up, you may want to check your intended school's catalog to see what you'll have to take. I took stats after MAC 1105 thinking I was all done w/math :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hey, I don't know which state U in FL you're planning on transferring to, but USF's algebra-based physics class lists both MAC 1114 and MAC 1140 as pre-reqs. And of course, College Algebra is the pre-req to both of those.

Just a heads up, you may want to check your intended school's catalog to see what you'll have to take. I took stats after MAC 1105 thinking I was all done w/math :rolleyes:

Good to know. I'll look into it. Thanks

To continue with Ellipsis' comment, I just checked the University website and MAC 1147 (Pre-Calclus Algebra/Trigonometry) is a prereq for College Physics. That's the 5 credit class that Mauberley thought might be overkill.

Anyway, according to the catalog, It seems that College Physics is the algebra based class (that requires the algebra/trig class) and General Physics is the Calc based class requiring MAC 2311 (Calc with analytic geometry).

Based on the following course descriptions, does everyone still recommend algebra based physics or do you see anything in the Gen. Phy description that is a must-have for MCAT?

Thanks..

[SIZE=+1]PHY 2048C - General Physics w/Lab I - 4 credit(s)[/SIZE]
First semester of a calculus-based two semester sequence of general physics (mechanics, wave motion, sound, thermodynamics, geometrical and physical optics, electricity and magnetism) and laboratory for science, mathematics, and engineering students.
Prerequisite(s): MAC 2421 with a minimum grade of D or MAC 2311 with a minimum grade of D

[SIZE=+1]PHY 2049C - Gen'l Physics w/Lab II - 4 credit(s)[/SIZE]
Second semester of a calculus-based two semester sequence of general physics (mechanics, wave motion, sound, thermodynamics, geometrical and physical optics, electricity and magnetism) and laboratory for science, mathematics, and engineering students.
Prerequisite(s): (MAC 2422 with a minimum grade of D or MAC 2312 with a minimum grade of D) and PHY 2048C with a minimum grade of D

[SIZE=+1]PHY 2053C - College Physics w/Lab I - 4 credit(s)[/SIZE]
Students study the nature of the physical world. Principles of classical mechanics, introduction to wave theory, heat and elementary thermodynamics are investigated. The curriculum is inquiry based and fully integrated with laboratory and/or field experiences which emphasize active learning strategies. Note: A prerequisite equivalent to MAC 1147 is acceptable.
Prerequisite(s): MAC 1147 with a minimum grade of D

[SIZE=+1]PHY 2054C - College Physics w/Lab II - 4 credit(s)[/SIZE]
Students continue their study of the nature of the physical world in this course. Principles of electricity and magnetism, light and modern physic will be investigated. The curriculum is inquiry based and fully integrated with laboratory and/or field experiences which emphasize active learning strategies.
Prerequisite(s): PHY 2053C with a minimum grade of D

You do not need calc based physics for the MCAT.

Well then, I guess that settles it. Thanks for the input. I just want to make sure I'm on the right track here and not have to spend extra $$ and time on unneeded courses.

Gracias

You guys are making me worried. :eek: I signed up for a Calc I class at a local university in order to prepare for my post-bacc program. Is it a bad idea to take Calc I? Should I take a Pre-Calc class? The physics classes in the post-bacc program are called Physics for Life Sciences I and II. The description says that a strong foundation in algebra and the some concepts of calculus are required. I hope I am i the right class.

Funny this thread should come up again. I spoke to my algebra teacher today, who happens to have taught almost all of the classes we've been discussing. She tells me that the 5 credit Pre-calc algebra/trig combo class is designed for those who are trying to refresh in these areas. She said it will move very quickly and will almost guarantee a lousy grade if you have not had exposure to these classes before. Her advice was to take Pre-calc algebra and trig as separate classes and to even to take them concurrently, as their information does not overlap. She said not only am I more likely to have success in the classes this way, but it will also satisfy the Pre-calc algebra/trig (combo class) prereq requirement for the university College Physics class.