Matlab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pip00

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you do research in math modelling? If so, do you have any tutorials for writing various programs in matlab? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

pip00 said:
Do any of you do research in math modelling? If so, do you have any tutorials for writing various programs in matlab? thanks

Have used Matlab in the past for alot of digital signal processing related projects. There's alot of material out there and my initial suggestion is to goto Amazon and do a book search on matlab, alot of books geared to your situation that are pretty nominally priced. Second, do a google search, not sure what you'll find though. I dont have tutorials directly, I went the book route when using it.

Good luck

pip00 said:
I used a pdf tutorial that I have downloaded from a web-site. I echo Bottles. There are a lot of free sources and books online. I will try to find the one that I used.
huseyin

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies! i got a tutorial which gives basic commands on matlab and how to write basic functions. and i got a book in the library which goes into how to solve continuous ode's.

but what i need is "monte carlo simulation algorithms".
so far i got 1 article on this topic- Gillespie-J of Physical Chemistry-1977. But it obviously does not have the matlab implementation...

never mind. i think i found all the materials i need.

but now, say i'm working on a research project(heavily mathematic) and i get stuck. what do i do then? i dont know to whom to turn for help:( no one at my school works on this problem. there are people that use monte carlo simulations in various subjects, but none of them use it(matlab) for "gene engineering networks".

pip00 said:

but now, say i'm working on a research project(heavily mathematic) and i get stuck. what do i do then? i dont know to whom to turn for help:( no one at my school works on this problem. there are people that use monte carlo simulations in various subjects, but none of them use it(matlab) for "gene engineering networks".

Yeah, that stinks; we use Monte carlo simulations in our biomedical imaging lab a decent amount, but know this is of no help to you. Do you have a statistician to ask? I know at my institute, there are 2-3 that have "office hours" for this exact sort of thing- maybe you have a similar setup? ... best of luck

pip00 said:

Check out Drexel's Matlab forum, it's helped me quite a bit when I've gotten stuck.

http://mathforum.org/kb/forum.jspa?forumID=80

thanks.

i have more questions. are any of you pre-mstp or whatever guys taking a lot of math courses? what do you think of them? i just started taking analysis-it is difficult:( probability-i really like it. my other 2 courses revolve around ode's and it seems like a lot of work-too practical. and it got me thinking whether i want to be a regular premed or whether i might want to do this md/ph.d thing-then i would try to go to gradschool in something mathematical. but of course i dont have much to choose, since i'm not a very competitive applicant at the moment.

pip00 said:
thanks for the replies! i got a tutorial which gives basic commands on matlab and how to write basic functions. and i got a book in the library which goes into how to solve continuous ode's.

but what i need is "monte carlo simulation algorithms".
so far i got 1 article on this topic- Gillespie-J of Physical Chemistry-1977. But it obviously does not have the matlab implementation...

I just wanted to chime in... I'm just an undergrad, but I recieved a research grant fron HHMI for a chronobiology project and was working with MATLAB as well... I'd suggest making friends with the Mathematics or Statistics dept at your school... find out who is doing research in those departments and you will find someone proficient at writing code for MATLAB. One of the Statisticians in the Math dept. was so interested in the project that they ended up writing all sorts of extra analysis programs specifically for our data. Good luck.