Max IF fluid Infusion in a healthy patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DVM4K9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Docs -

I am new to this forum and I wonder if you can answer a question: what is the max IV fluid rate (ml/kg/hr) that a healthy person can take, assuming I am infusing a crystalloid like P-Lyte or LRS or 0.9% NaCl. What is the limit before I run the risk of causing pulmonary edema? Thanks!
DVM4K9!

Members don't see this ad.

not sure honestly, I've put 3 Liters in an hour before, of course there's some level of dehydration

Total speculation on my part, but let's assume that a healthy patient has a GFR of 100ml/min (that's in the normal range).

100 ml/min * 60 min = 6,000 ml = 6L

The way I see it, Tank em up . . . Just kidding, but that's all just using my stupid MS4 speculative reasoning.

What really gets me is the 0.9% NaCl. Think about it. That's 9 grams of sodium chloride.

9 grams NaCl * (1 mol NaCl/58.5 g) = 0.154 mol NaCl = 0.154 mol Na+.

0.154 mol Na+ x 23 g/mol = 3542 grams of sodium

That's 3542 mg of Sodium . . . whatever happened to the 2300mg recommended maximum sodium intake or 1500mg if you are over 51.

I know this is all BS that I am spewing, but think about that the next time you're shoving loads of fluid up in someone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Total speculation on my part, but let's assume that a healthy patient has a GFR of 100ml/min (that's in the normal range).

100 ml/min * 60 min = 6,000 ml = 6L

The way I see it, Tank em up . . . Just kidding, but that's all just using my stupid MS4 speculative reasoning.

What really gets me is the 0.9% NaCl. Think about it. That's 9 grams of sodium chloride.

9 grams NaCl * (1 mol NaCl/58.5 g) = 0.154 mol NaCl = 0.154 mol Na+.

0.154 mol Na+ x 23 g/mol = 3542 grams of sodium

That's 3542 mg of Sodium . . . whatever happened to the 2300mg recommended maximum sodium intake or 1500mg if you are over 51.

I know this is all BS that I am spewing, but think about that the next time you're shoving loads of fluid up in someone.

Dude...you have way too much time on your hands!

Dude...you have way too much time on your hands!

lol man, I was a physics/chemistry/biochemistry tutor for 7 years, old habits die hard. I can spout off molecular weights while taking a crap.

Now what I really need is a girl.

Hello Docs -

I am new to this forum and I wonder if you can answer a question: what is the max IV fluid rate (ml/kg/hr) that a healthy person can take, assuming I am infusing a crystalloid like P-Lyte or LRS or 0.9% NaCl. What is the limit before I run the risk of causing pulmonary edema? Thanks!
DVM4K9!

Firstly, you've posted the same question in 3 different subforums... and your after information for animals, not humans, right (as one of your other posts states)? So why are you even posting on human medicine forums?

I personally think a cat will keel over and die if you give a healthy cat more than 10mL/kg/hr.

Maximum recommended rates are 90mL/kg/hr in dogs and 60mL/kg/hr in cats but obviously these a shock rates and a healthy animal is going to take much less.

lol man, I was a physics/chemistry/biochemistry tutor for 7 years, old habits die hard. I can spout off molecular weights while taking a crap.

Now what I really need is a girl.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards change.

:laugh:

Firstly, what is the problem this is a human medicine forum? Most research in human medicine is done in animals. Secondly, what is the problem that I've posted in 3 different medical specialty forums ? Thirdly, I have posted the question on a veterinarian website. No one could give me an answer to a "Physiology 101" class. Guyton's physiology offers some clues to the question, but not a direct answer. So, I decided to bring this question to human doctors - whose level of specialization is way deeper and better than ours.

Secondly, what is the problem that I've posted in 3 different medical specialty forums ?

6. Don’t cross-post on the forums. Just post once. Posting a question or comment in multiple forums is annoying to other guests.

From here. You agreed to this when you signed up, and are violating that. That is black letter grounds for being banned. There is no grey area.

Firstly, what is the problem this is a human medicine forum? Most research in human medicine is done in animals. Secondly, what is the problem that I've posted in 3 different medical specialty forums ? Thirdly, I have posted the question on a veterinarian website. No one could give me an answer to a "Physiology 101" class. Guyton's physiology offers some clues to the question, but not a direct answer. So, I decided to bring this question to human doctors - whose level of specialization is way deeper and better than ours.

your right. i mean theres this little thing called species difference, but whatever. next time a human doc calls saying hes given his pet ibuprofen or acetominophen, imma gonna tell him not to worry, after all his knowledge is deeper and better than that of the boarded docs i work with...

and if you dont mind me asking, why are you asking? personal interest?

. So, I decided to bring this question to human doctors - whose level of specialization is way deeper and better than ours.

our level of specialization isn't way deeper or better than yours, it's just different.

Status
Not open for further replies.