Maximum Number of Retakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemiosmosis11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just reading the new policy on the number of retakes, and let's say that I have written the old MCAT twice (august 2014 and january 2015) and the new MCAT once (June). Does this mean I have used up 3 attempts according to the new policy, or does the new MCAT only count, making that 1 attempt?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the old policy was 3 attempts of a MCAT can be done in a single year. That was how the old policy was. I'm not sure what the new one is, I couldn't find it.

Basically, the new policy is that you can do a max of 4 times in 2 years, but I was just wondering if the old MCAT attempts counted as it says "starting in April 2015".

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly you're in a really really really bad spot if you take the MCAT 4 or more times. You need to get it right this time, and should have the two times before

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly you're in a really really really bad spot if you take the MCAT 4 or more times. You need to get it right this time, and should have the two times before

Then you haven't met some people I know who are current MD students or residents...

It's a minus for my school, as we average scores. However, it's not always lethal. I think the all-time record for anyone I ever interviewed was six or seven. It was an ESL kid who just couldn't get the VR above 5-6, until the very last one.

gyngyn's school will average and so it's a definite minus for his school.

I'm sure I haven't, but perhaps we can ask @gyngyn @Goro

Is it really bad to take the mcat 4+ times?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Once again you top anything a Hollywood screenwriter can come up with!

was this person at the floor and never went up, or went up ever so incrementally?
It appears that she may have suffered some sort of brain injury that resulted in multiple low scores after an initially acceptable one. Her perseveration might have been a result of the brain injury.

Reactions: 1 user
Apparently they were a U Chicago student that suffered brain damage...probably an exception
I missed that. Well now I feel like an ass. That's awful, hope they figured it out...

I'm wondering how the old mcat scores and the new mcat scores will be "averaged" since there is a different scale for the both of them