Maybe I played the number game wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greyangel6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this cycle to 6 schools (UF, Lecom, Nova, Case, Kentucky, Louisville). Here are my stats: BIO 20 /GC 22 /OC 24 /QR 20 /RC 20 /PAT 20 / TS 21 / AA 21. My science GPA is 3.92 and my overall GPA is 3.95. I have 140+ hours of shadowing and about 60+ hours volunteering.

To be clear, I am not here to brag. I am genuinely worried :sour:. My stats are ok but I have only gotten and gone to 2 interviews (UF and Case). I kind of regret that I did not apply to more school, I probably couldn't anyway (financially unable) but it is still a big regret, since now my options are 1) getting into UF 2) getting into Case 3) accepted to both 4) accepted to none. My close friend who is a pre-med got a 4.0 GPA, 30 MCAT and exemplary extracurriculars got rejected by UCF Med (I go to UCF for undergrad, and it's not like it's that competitive or Ivy League). So now I feel the pressure to prepare for a backup plan if I don't get in. Maybe I should have sold one kidney (pfft, who needs 2 anyway :p) and applied for more schools? Did I play the number game wrong?

Any constructive inputs are welcome. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm, you have a low amount of volunteering. Some schools really like to see volunteering, and from your list I think LECOM is one of those schools. Your stats are good so just wait a while.

Even if you had to borrow money, it would have been wise to apply to 4-6 more schools. Can't do much now but wait and see what happens in a couple weeks. Otherwise start improving your app for next cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
Firstly, hello! Fellow Floridian! I applied to 7 school. Of those, three were the Florida schools. I havent gotten interview at any, however i did get four interviews at all the out of state i applied too. I'm still "under review" at the FL schools. Don't freak out yet! But also definantly don't count on the private schools. Literally one just wants brainacks and the other is just trying to get off the ground still!

UF is tough. I have three friends their now, and I can tell you that the fact you got an interview is fanominal! I have a 3.67 GPA, 19AA&25PAT, 400+shadow, and 600+ volunteering and I haven't even gotten a 2ndary. So feel fantastic about it!!!

I'll tell you now that UK might not fly. They accept like 12 out of state or so. However, you have a better chance at UofL. 75 out of state out of their 125 class. Plus they loveeeee florida folks! Something about our aourthern hospitality! They continue to do interviews well into december, so dont stress just yet. Odds are ever in your favor! I interviewed at both in October, so its first hand knowledge! :)

Its intense and crazy, and may make you want to rip something apart, but its all worth it and going to work out! Sorry for the run-on sentence!

I'm prez of my predent group, so I have lots of resources and am always available to talk, just PM me!

Reactions: 1 user
Firstly, hello! Fellow Floridian! I applied to 7 school. Of those, three were the Florida schools. I havent gotten interview at any, however i did get four interviews at all the out of state i applied too. I'm still "under review" at the FL schools. Don't freak out yet! But also definantly don't count on the private schools. Literally one just wants brainacks and the other is just trying to get off the ground still!

UF is tough. I have three friends their now, and I can tell you that the fact you got an interview is fanominal! I have a 3.67 GPA, 19AA&25PAT, 400+shadow, and 600+ volunteering and I haven't even gotten a 2ndary. So feel fantastic about it!!!

I'll tell you now that UK might not fly. They accept like 12 out of state or so. However, you have a better chance at UofL. 75 out of state out of their 125 class. Plus they loveeeee florida folks! Something about our aourthern hospitality! They continue to do interviews well into december, so dont stress just yet. Odds are ever in your favor! I interviewed at both in October, so its first hand knowledge! :)

Its intense and crazy, and may make you want to rip something apart, but its all worth it and going to work out! Sorry for the run-on sentence!

I'm prez of my predent group, so I have lots of resources and am always available to talk, just PM me!

I'm very surprised you have not interviewed at UF yet..... I'm also a Florida resident with a 19AA and a 3.79 overall gpa, 3.68 sGPA and I interviewed at UF last month.

I know people with lower stats, like A LOT lower and they had interviews. However, they know people at UF. I think UF is a coin toss though. It does have a lower acceptance/interview percentage. I've only been asked to submit my secondary so I'm losing hope.

I know people with lower stats, like A LOT lower and they had interviews. However, they know people at UF. I think UF is a coin toss though. It does have a lower acceptance/interview percentage. I've only been asked to submit my secondary so I'm losing hope.

Don't lose hope! According to the official interview thread, UF is inviting applicants for post december interviews. Until you've gotten a rejection, there is always hope.

I don't know if this will make you feel any better but i applied to 18 schools with a 22AA/22TS, 3.4 undergrad, 4.0 masters and I only have 2 interviews so far... so I guess we can just keep our fingers crossed that more interviews will be coming shortly... This process is the worst.. good luck!

Geeze...with those stats I wouldn't worry, you'll get into one.

I don't know if this will make you feel any better but i applied to 18 schools with a 22AA/22TS, 3.4 undergrad, 4.0 masters and I only have 2 interviews so far... so I guess we can just keep our fingers crossed that more interviews will be coming shortly... This process is the worst.. good luck!
Did you apply early?

You have good stats, you might get into UF. I would be excited about it unless UF isn't your first choice...

I had my application in June 23rd, I feel like timing this go around doesn't matter so much if you applied between mid June to early august. Timing for interview ya but over as long as you got an interview between Aug and early November I think you should feel cushy.

At last that's what I keep telling myself lol

As far as Florida goes, I've been a resident for 15 years. I don't know why, I have all my ducks in a row but who knows. Stuff gets goofed along the way I guess.

Thank you all for the constructive and critical responses :). UF is my first choice (tuition-wise it's the cheapest option). I know I can get a dental education at any school but I feel like I might have worked my behind off just to be on the edge of not getting in.... It sure is a tough life lol. Back in my country (I'm from Vietnam), friends my age are already in their 4th year of med school, dental school, professional schools.... I probably need new friends that don't give me as much peer pressure lol. Again, I appreciate the inputs. Wish you all the best. :luck:

You'll get in to dental school! De-stress! Were all right there scared to our toes with ya. Its almost over, and I know you'll get it!

When you do get word from UF, I'll get you in touch with my friend who will be a second year when you'd start! She's Vietnamese too, super sweet and amazing girl :) That's the best part about SDN! I've made more predental connections and friends here than anywhere else!

PM me if you're in the Florida Panhandle Kay? :)

Reactions: 1 users