Mayo Clinic Study about Physician Burnout

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amLOLdipine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was a decently large study designed to assess the prevalence of burnout and work-life satisfaction among US physicians, and to compare the results between 2011 and 2014.

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(15)00716-8/abstract

A total of 6880 physicians responded, of which about 545 were anesthesiologists.

The study has some results that are very much expected, such as EM with the high burnout rate but also high degree of satisfaction with work-life balance. Similar case with Neurosurgery...very poor reported work-life balance from the respondents, yet they still had relatively low burnout rates (seems to match up with the Neurosurgeon personality type).

PM&R is a surprise...traditionally thought of as one of the most "lifestyle-oriented" specialties, and yet it actually has a relatively high burnout rate.

Urology is another surprise here, not doing very well overall. Similar case with Ortho, even.

Anesthesia seems to be staying around mid-pack. Burnout rate for anesthesiologists increased from 2011 → 2014, but not as much as some fields (Urology, PMR, FM, Rads, Ortho, Gen surg, etc).

upload_2016-4-19_11-2-1.png

upload_2016-4-19_11-7-28.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How on earth are dermatologists almost 2x as burnt out in 2014 as they were in 2011? Did someone discover a new dermatologic emergency when I wasn't looking?

Members don't see this ad :)
How on earth are dermatologists almost 2x as burnt out in 2014 as they were in 2011? Did someone discover a new dermatologic emergency when I wasn't looking?

Mastocytosis is on the rise! Look Out!

1) want to see sample size
2) definite sampling bias in these surveys just like the compensation reports that come out and the medscape physician surveys (you should see the sample sizes and response rate on those...)

Maybe they thought "burnout" was in reference to racing their high-end sports cars?

Reactions: 2 users

Lots of competition especially in desirable living areas with dermatologist as well.

It's not easy just to start your own practice. Most likely join establish group first.

And competition with side business (Botox, skin care, spa).

Remember derm docs are are not longer smart. But they want it all. Lifestyle, hours and location location location!

My wife good friend is dermatologist. She's not happy with her current income. But doesn't want to work much either. She's got 2 kids.

I did a derm elective during my intern year. I was burned out after 2 weeks. So ****ing boring.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't need the Mayo Clinic to publish a study to tell me I'm burnt out. I just need a decibel meter to measure how loudly I scream "F_uck!" every morning when I wake up. Usually it's loud enough for them to hear me in China.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't need the Mayo Clinic to publish a study to tell me I'm burnt out. I just need a decibel meter to measure how loudly I scream "F_uck!" every morning when I wake up. Usually it's loud enough for them to hear me in China.

Isn't that bad for your vocal cords?

Seeing 60 patients a day with low acuity issues but high "entitlement" expectations can be stressful, believe it or not. Couple that with increasing insurance issues (90% of derm is still non-cosmetic) and increasing clipboard useless documentation requirements (as with all of medicine) and you might understand.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Seeing 60 patients a day with low acuity issues but high "entitlement" expectations can be stressful, believe it or not. Couple that with increasing insurance issues (90% of derm is still non-cosmetic) and increasing clipboard useless documentation requirements (as with all of medicine) and you might understand.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Nah. I still don't get it. No nights, no call, cush hours, great pay...no one dies during a facial dermabrasion.

Nah. I still don't get it. No nights, no call, cush hours, great pay...no one dies during a facial dermabrasion.

At the end of the day it comes down to how much you tolerate clinic.

No matter how good the lifestyle and pay, if you don't enjoy clinic, then seeing 50-60 patients a day in clinic isn't going to be a good time.

a lot of things affect burn out. these groups aren't neccessarily good comparisons. No offense but the quality of students going into derm is not the same as those going to FM. I have no data to back up my opinion, but i think perhaps certain ppl are less likely to be burned out w/ x amount of work. And also im sure expectations vs reality also contributes. a uro dood going in expecting a 500k salary working 40 hrs a week may be burnt out by the fact he only makes 400k working 50 hrs a week,

It's just odd that FM and IM and ER and other specialties exposed to the same clinic merry-go-round and insurance circus didn't have similar jumps in burnout.

I'd be a burnt out shell of a man if I had to see 6 patients a day in clinic, let alone 60.

I almost didn't even see neurosurgery on the chart
It's SO LOW for work/life balance, with only about 18% happy with that.
OUCH