Mayo Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrmm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recent grads from Mayo (Rochester) that can chime in on the program? I don't hear it in the conversation as much as the other big names in Pain.

Members don't see this ad.

what would you like to know about Mayo?

Members don't see this ad :)
# fellows?
Interventional - high/med/low?
Types of cases
Types of procedures and numbers
Pumps/stims/kypho/etc?
Hours/schedule
Call - frequency, acute pain coverage, in-house, how often called in
What most grads do after fellowship
Didactics?
Unique pros/strengths to the program
Cons/weaknesses to the program

# fellows? 4 per year, most are from Mayo but excellent outside candidates are interviewed and do get accepted
Interventional - high/med/low? high
Types of cases - all types of bread and butter stuff, stim trials, implants, pumps - did some supraorbital/infraorbital with Lamer, some ONS
Types of procedures and numbers - numbers are high, would need to look back at my logs but very interventional focus
Pumps/stims/kypho/etc? - no kypho, lower pump numbers but enough to be comfortable, lots of stim
Hours/schedule - 8am-5pm
Call - frequency, acute pain coverage, in-house, how often called in - call is 1 week on 3 off, acute pain is covered by in house anes residents and they call the fellow for any help they may need, only reason to go in is for implant infection, cover weekend while on. home call.
What most grads do after fellowship - private practice, one guy from my year stayed on as staff
Didactics? - very strong, weekly Wednesday mornings, 1 week course from outside docs doing kypho training, RFA ISIS style, cadaver stuff, ultrasound training weekly with PM&R residents and sports med fellows, learn MSK exam from PM&R residency program
Unique pros/strengths to the program - out rotation in AZ or CA if you want more pump implants, research is strong, great funding for meetings, staff is loaded so if some people left it'd still be a great fellowship (to my knowledge no one is leaving), pain rehab center rotation and spine center rotations, towards the second half of fellowship the fellow is running the procedure room independently with a peek in from the other room by the attending so you will feel like you're on your own before you really are out in the real world.
Cons/weaknesses to the program - pump implant volume is slightly low if you really want to do that but you'll still get enough to feel comfortable, not a lot of opioid management except during rotations with palliative care and on inpatient service

This fellowship is awesome. Very academic focused. Can run on it's own and fellows are not there to run things, they're there to learn. Department can run without the fellows which is nice when you want to jump away from clinic to do something else or go to a conference. By far the best year of my training.

Last edited: