Mayo Vs. University of Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newspeak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from McGill. Dual US and Canadian citizenships. I have family in MN and would like to match in either programs.

I do not have a preference in terms of cities, as my folks live in an equidistant town to both.

My aim is gastroenterology (not interested in anything else really)

Which of the two programs offers better training and fellowship placement in your opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from McGill. Dual US and Canadian citizenships. I have family in MN and would like to match in either programs.

I do not have a preference in terms of cities, as my folks live in an equidistant town to both.

Which of the two programs offers better training and fellowship placement in your opinion?

Eh. I'd bet Mayo has the better GI match. Both are really good IM programs and both have really good GI divisions - you probably get better and more diverse GIM in the cities and better overall didactics at Mayo. You should probably decide if you're more of a "doer" or a "reader". I don't know the numbers off the top of my head but I bet UMinn does more transplants if you're interested in that at all.

hey thanks

i heard that UM are more focused on residents rather than fellows. dunno how accurate is this.

would i have trouble landing a luminal GI fellowship if I go with the U?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey thanks

i heard that UM are more focused on residents rather than fellows. dunno how accurate is this.

I don't think so, but you'll have to be an excellent resident. You'd have be awesome anywhere, yaknow? GI's tough spot to land.

I doubt that if someone graduates from U of Minnesota (with its reputation!) will have trouble matching. But maybe GI fellows could comment better on this

You'd have be awesome anywhere, yaknow? GI's tough spot to land.

Agree, even if you are at Mayo, you would still need to pull the same effort that you would need to pull in Minnesota to secure GI

thanks for all

if any current residents at the U would care to share, it would be great too

peace

I interviewed at Mayo (Rochester) in December and have the Class of 2011 Fellowship Match list. I'm only going to list GI places since that's what you're interested in pursuing. (FYI: 11 out of 48 residents matched into GI)

Scott & White Hosp (Temple, TX)
Mayo x3 (one person is in the Clinical Investigator track)
Wessex Deanery, UK
U of Texas Medical Branch
U of CA - Irvine
UPMC
Henry Ford Hospital (Detroit, MI)
Ohio State University Medical Center
U of Florida

My main concern with going to Mayo (aside from the location) is that just b/c I go to Mayo for residency doesn't mean I'll get Mayo for fellowship and the other places are good but nothing to really brag about. Also, the three people who are staying in Mayo for GI fellowship include a current Chief, a resident in the Clinical Investigator track, and another person who I'm sure has research out the whazoo.

I interviewed at Mayo (Rochester) in December and have the Class of 2011 Fellowship Match list. I'm only going to list GI places since that's what you're interested in pursuing. (FYI: 11 out of 48 residents matched into GI)

Scott & White Hosp (Temple, TX)
Mayo x3 (one person is in the Clinical Investigator track)
Wessex Deanery, UK
U of Texas Medical Branch
U of CA - Irvine
UPMC
Henry Ford Hospital (Detroit, MI)
Ohio State University Medical Center
U of Florida

My main concern with going to Mayo (aside from the location) is that just b/c I go to Mayo for residency doesn't mean I'll get Mayo for fellowship and the other places are good but nothing to really brag about. Also, the three people who are staying in Mayo for GI fellowship include a current Chief, a resident in the Clinical Investigator track, and another person who I'm sure has research out the whazoo.

thanks elixir

are you trailing to U of Minn? I was very impressed with the interview, but going for a second look will be expensive.

2011 match list for GI is not impressive; only 2 got GI at the U. When I compare this to your 11 though, I get somewhat anxious.

The sheer bulk of residents number, though, may explain the discrepancy.

I could really use some advice here. UM was wonderbulous, but would it be safe to go there having GI in mind?

OTOH, numbers favor mayo, but is that a true positive or a false one?

thanks elixir

are you trailing to U of Minn? I was very impressed with the interview, but going for a second look will be expensive.

2011 match list for GI is not impressive; only 2 got GI at the U. When I compare this to your 11 though, I get somewhat anxious.

The sheer bulk of residents number, though, may explain the discrepancy.

I could really use some advice here. UM was wonderbulous, but would it be safe to go there having GI in mind?

OTOH, numbers favor mayo, but is that a true positive or a false one?

No, I didn't apply to U of Minnesota. I mainly applied East Coast and decided to go to the Mayo interview b/c well.....it's Mayo. I was very pleased with the people in Mayo and all that good stuff, but still don't know how high I'll rank them until all my Jan interviews are done.

One thing I look for in programs is if they have a lot of "inbreeding" in terms of fellowship match list (aka, they accept their own). A lot of schools I interviewed at are well known and some do inbreed while others don't. I like the security factor of inbreeding (....hmm....this is starting to sound off topic). I've also found that at these really top notch places, their fellowship match list is not always that impressive.

To add a contrast to elixir86 post, here is the U of Minnesota GI list:

2011: U of Minn x2

2010: U of Minn - Northwestern - Wayne state

2009: U of Minn - Henry Ford Medical Center

I guess its pretty decent for a 28-30 class, especially that 6-8 of each class are going into Cards, so it seems there is an intrinsic shift toward cardiology as more Minn residents desire it .

Would this constitute a solid GI list? Its not bad compared to other places, and GI is a difficult beast in general.

To add a contrast to elixir86 post, here is the U of Minnesota GI list:

2011: U of Minn x2

2010: U of Minn - Northwestern - Wayne state

2009: U of Minn - Henry Ford Medical Center

I guess its pretty decent for a 28-30 class, especially that 6-8 of each class are going into Cards, so it seems there is an intrinsic shift toward cardiology as more Minn residents desire it .

Would this constitute a solid GI list? Its not bad compared to other places, and GI is a difficult beast in general.

I'm of the opinion that GI is the toughest match. Minn's numbers are probably pretty par for the course across the country for a program of their size and academic reputation. Mayo's match is much more impressive - I know someone said they were not impressed where people matched in GI, but if all you're wanting to do is learn to scope like crazy, one program isn't necessarily going to be that much better than an other.

Both places will train a solid doc. Minneapolis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rochester. Mayo may open up more doors at the end though.

University of Minnesota is more hands-on and lets residents do more than Mayo; Mayo has specialized teams for most procedures as technically it is safer for the patient. This, of course, means less hands-on training for residents. Mayo is very fellow and consultant-driven.
Mayo is more well known and of course ranked well, although they actually refer a lot of their liver patients to the U; U of M does significantly more liver transplants. If you want the better reputation, go to Mayo. If you want better practical training, go to the U.

University of Minnesota is more hands-on and lets residents do more than Mayo; Mayo has specialized teams for most procedures as technically it is safer for the patient. This, of course, means less hands-on training for residents. Mayo is very fellow and consultant-driven.
Mayo is more well known and of course ranked well, although they actually refer a lot of their liver patients to the U; U of M does significantly more liver transplants. If you want the better reputation, go to Mayo. If you want better practical training, go to the U.

Dudes probably a final year fellow now. Wonder if he stayed in MN and how he feels now.

Dudes probably a final year fellow now. Wonder if he stayed in MN and how he feels now.[/
Dudes probably a final year fellow now. Wonder if he stayed in MN and how he feels now.
Happy to report that not all docs are “dudes”—some even let women in these days!
Secondly, and more importantly, both the U and Mayo are solid programs and will give you the opportunities to get good fellowships, including GI and other specialties.