MBA before med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to do an md/mba either directly through a joint program or create my own program once i get to med school. I ll have a year and a half off before starting med school. Would it be possible to do an mba during this time.

I dont really have much business or econ experience or classes. I ve taken calculus and statistics. I would like to have the mba in the health care field. I don't need to attend a top top program, more like a mid level program.

Have people done this before? What was their experience like? Was the mba helpful after completing the MD or DO?

Members don't see this ad.

NRAI2001 said:
I would like to do an md/mba either directly through a joint program or create my own program once i get to med school. I ll have a year and a half off before starting med school. Would it be possible to do an mba during this time.

I dont really have much business or econ experience or classes. I ve taken calculus and statistics. I would like to have the mba in the health care field. I don't need to attend a top top program, more like a mid level program.

Have people done this before? What was their experience like? Was the mba helpful after completing the MD or DO?
i would encourage you to do the mba *after* for the sole reason that you're going to get into a much better program once you finish your *md* (don't even get me started on how many doors the osteopathic degree would close).

and you might not care whether you attended a "top program" but your employers will.

I would disagree with the above poster about where you go but that is just my opinion. If you can find a program that would take you for a year and you are interested I'd go for it. Or just find a joint program. I know a few that allow you to do MBA prior to MD/DO.

I would suggest finding a program that is a MHA (masters in healthcare administration) or an MBA with healthcare management track. I probably would have gone with an MPA with concentration in healthcare or MHA rather than my MBA. Just my take after working full-time and doing a MBA full-time for the past 2 years. Or I wish I did a MBA/MD-DO program. ButI wasn't sure about medicine when I started the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
mshheaddoc said:
If you can find a program that would take you for a year and you are interested I'd go for it. Or just find a joint program. I know a few that allow you to do MBA prior to MD/DO.
omg, now there's some bad advice. pls be advised that this is bottom-tier mba grad (rutgers)/pre-do student who's doing a little self-promoting. take her advice if you want, but now you know...

there are a million mba programs that will take anyone. and mba's below the top 20 are widely considered jokes.

again,
i. get your md;
ii. do an mba at a *top* school; and
iii. be employable.

any other route (except for a top 20 mba prior to med school - if you can land that) will be a waste of 18-24months.

housecleaning said:
omg, now there's some bad advice. pls be advised that this is bottom-tier mba grad (rutgers)/pre-do student who's doing a little self-promoting. take her advice if you want, but now you know...
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OMG /sarcasm

Talk about biased. WTF? I didn't mention myself at all yet you judge! :clap: Give me a break buddy. Naivety rocks. :rolleyes: When you know my life, feel free to criticize. Oh wait, looking at your post history, now I see why. Whose troll account is this? :rolleyes:

NRAI2001 - feel free to make an informed decision. I know a few different programs out there and choices depending on the education you feel that you would utilize. I have seen the MBA route done many different ways. Your best bet would probably be doing a joint program of sorts. There are many different programs out there as I mentioned depending on your goals. Honestly though doing it in your application year might be a bit much. I'd go joint program with your position if I remember it right.

that's a lot of clappies & laughing & smirking faces. i guess it means you're mad at me. don't be mad.

MPH is a great alternative as well. I'm considering MPH joint degree or just a study in public health.

N - What do you want to do with the business degree and why?

mshheaddoc said:
MPH is a great alternative as well. I'm considering MPH joint degree or just a study in public health.
ok, thanks for sharing. let's all pretend an mph has anything to do with a business degree...

sorry, OP, you aren't likely to find much useful info here. as you can see, many can't distinguish an mph from an mba. you might try some of the more hardcore boards like testmagic or xoxo for solid advice.

good luck!

housecleaning said:
ok, thanks for sharing. let's all pretend an mph has anything to do with a business degree...

sorry, OP, you aren't likely to find much useful info here. as you can see, many can't distinguish an mph from an mba. you might try some of the more hardcore boards like testmagic or xoxo for solid advice.

good luck!
Thanks for deleting your original post bashing yet ANOTHER user on the MPH forum!

MPH has nothing to do with business but is along the lines of "public" health. If he's more interested in that aspect he can go. Let the kid answer on what he's looking for, ya?

:rolleyes:

Even though ur opinions may differ, thanks for the posts.

I m not exactly sure what i would like to do with the mba. I could use it to better my own private practice, could use it to start up medical facilities, could use it to manage a hospital ward or deptarment.....etc.

A good friend of mine who is a business major told me that where u get ur mba from (as long as it isn't a bs program and is more like a mid to upper level program) won't matter too much because it won't be ur primary degree (the md will be). I don't know how true this is, but it seems to make sense? Any opinions.

Also could u tailor an mph program more towards health management/economics?

I am doing the MBA now....and start med school next year...

u can do a ton of things with the MBA....besides theres a need for healthcare managers

ASDIC said:
I am doing the MBA now....and start med school next year...

u can do a ton of things with the MBA....besides theres a need for healthcare managers

Where are you doing ur mba?

Do you choose a field to do your mba or is it a general degree?