MBA or MPH or MHA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacy Kid

LCDR
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm deciding whether I should pursue a degree in MBA, MPH, or MHA. I just received my Certified Diabetes Educator certificate so I'm thinking of how else to push my career.

My topics of interest are disease and epidemiology so I'd probably enjoy MPH more. However, I think MBA and MHA are more useful. How expensive a degree is not of importance to me . . . getting reimbursed via GI Bill.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to assume that you're going to stay USPHS for at least the O-5 rank.

First, realize that most of the billets are administrative and supervisory at that level. If you want to do epidemiology or demographics, then almost all of the assignments are in DC or ATL unless you want to switch to Sciences? There are very, very few Pharmacist Corps technical staff but there is plenty of space for administration.

Second, what career do you want to go post-USPHS? If you want to be an ultralifer (25+ years), then you're probably going to need the PhD/DPh sooner or later for the technical side jobs (epidemiology) but not for the administrative (MBA/MHA are the terminal degree and allow starting ACHE Fellowship chit rules). If you want to leave, let that dictate your career choices.

Management:
https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/senior-executive-service/candidate-development-programs/
You will either apply at the O-4 level through Leavenworth ILE or the O-5/O-6 at Carlisle for the internal program. You may do the Georgetown or the JHU one if your management version has a technical component (Supply Chain Management/Logistics and/or Finance)

Third, you should not use your GI Bill for technical, apply through the channels for an educational tour, you've done your fair share for the country. For certain technical billets (epidemiology being one of the ones allowed), the Corps will educate you in exchange for a further service commitment.

Reactions: 1 user
I would choose a program that caters to your interests or caters to your goals as an officer. I also would not go for a degree assuming it is the only way to promotion. I believe it will be very difficult to be promoted in the future and getting another degree is just one part of the five pillars. Or in other words, I believe promotion boards care more about what you do as an officer than the letters you obtain after your name. I am currently enrolled in an MPH program and selected it because it is affordable, CEPH accredited, GRE was waived with a Pharm D, and I have up to seven years to complete my degree. I plan on saving the GI bill for my family assuming the government does not change the rules.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would choose a program that caters to your interests or caters to your goals as an officer. I also would not go for a degree assuming it is the only way to promotion. I believe it will be very difficult to be promoted in the future and getting another degree is just one part of the five pillars. Or in other words, I believe promotion boards care more about what you do as an officer than the letters you obtain after your name. I am currently enrolled in an MPH program and selected it because it is affordable, CEPH accredited, GRE was waived with a Pharm D, and I have up to seven years to complete my degree. I plan on saving the GI bill for my family assuming the government does not change the rules.

Except that you should have been sponsored by your agency for the MPH. That's almost always a service supported degree. The only exception to the choice of degree not under an education tour is when you choose one for a post-uniform career that has nothing to do with a service degree (theology for example).

As far as promotion difficulty, the O-5 boards are the first serious ones, but most make this far if they are reasonably engaged. The O-6 ones are very exacting on pharmacy under normal circumstances. Until very recently (~5 years ago), the O-6 board never promoted the amount that they were given as there were not enough qualified O-5's in their opinion (this is much less an issue now considering that there is a surfeit of O-5's right now).

I am not aware of any IHS area that will sponsor for a MPH for the pharmacist category. The last two areas I have worked said there was no reimbursement. LRP also stated no reimbursement for MPH.

Yeah, I am not aware of any opportunities for being sponsored for an MPH as a pharmacist, either. I've heard that certain offices in the FDA used to (back in the 90s) regularly sponsor officers for an MPH at USUHS, but those days are long gone.