MCAT 2015 help - experiments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GCS-15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

So I've been taking practice tests from Princeton and getting in the 503-506 range. For comparison, I just took AAMC's "mini test" today and wow...it was so different! A lot of it was experiment based and you really needed to know how to read the passage. I'm really tough at those kinds of passages with experiments and new situations. I see tons of new enzyme names, and data/ lab results and I just get lost.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can improve on these passages? I think I know the general biochem concepts well- but I just can't apply them to the passages.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Draw diagrams! I find that sketching out the experiment helps. Also, I try not to waste too much time deeply understanding the passage in my first read through. A lot of times the questions are quite straightforward (i.e. knowledge based) and can even help you understand the experiment better.

I try to map out the passage sometimes- but it just takes a while. Honestly sometimes I see everything and get overwhelmed aha. How did you practice with the passages? It's just tough for me to think in the way AAMC wants. I look back at a solution and think "wow, I would have never thought about it that way"

Get yourself used to experiments and graphs. PubMed is a good source. No need to read the whole thing, only the graphs.
Mapping out a passage takes time, and time is your worst enemy. When you read any question, see if it's general or based on experiment. Sometimes, the MCAT throws a question or two related to the passage to fool you into spending time rereading the content.
Does the question say "according to results," "from the table above," or more general question, for example, "which of the following Immunoglobulins is trigger the release of histamine" or "which of the following antibody complexes is a dimer" (if the passage is regarding antibodies or something related to that). I apologize if the example is not good.