MCAT 2015..I have no direction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FAJ210

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need help approaching studying for the MCAT?? I am confused on every aspect as i have no guidance whatsoever....?

I graduated this past december with BS in Bio. I work 2 jobs and need to keep them immensely and just barely make it from paycheck to paycheck. I would like any advice on how to approach studying for the MCAT the most efficient way as possible. I have been studying for the past 2 months but I feel like i have no direction. I really want to take a prep course but there is no way i can afford 2500. Anybody that had to persevere from being in a tough situation with no support what so ever . PLEASE GIVE ME AN HONEST SUGGESTION...I AM WILLING TO PUT IN THE WORK AND DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO REACH MY ULTIMATE GOAL. THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

I would search on these forums for "MCAT study plan" and find a study plan that really works for you. I think that you really do need review books or videos of some sort but you can find them online if you aren't able to purchase them. It may take longer to study if you are having to work two jobs but that's okay... you need to accept that and not force yourself to study too quickly. Study when you can--listen to audio files while you are driving, or do flashcards when you have down time at work, etc. You also have to sleep in order to retain what you study.

Reactions: 1 users
For Biology and Biochemistry, General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry: Berkeley Review; I read pages for psychology/sociology right before I go to bed.
For Physics: Nova MCAT PHYSICS
I myself work a 50 + work week, volunteer 4 hours in emergency room, at least 2 hours hospice and 1-1 1/2 hour tutoring. Get the AAMC question packs, and 1/2 test and full test, save full test for when you are done with content review; do 1/2 test not timed, and see how much you can answer without having to look things up. content review: skim what you know, actively read and explain to self content that you don't understand fully. Do the three phases as prescribed by Berkeley Review and make sure you review both correct and wrong answers -
Exam Krackers has three full length exams, they feel like the real exams - do these and go over your answers. Basically you need to do a lot of passages after having done 2/3 of content review. It's all about doing tons of passages surrounding a subject and then reviewing. don't study for more than 2-3 hours a day.

Members don't see this ad :)
You likely know this already, but working 2 jobs and studying for the new MCAT may not be realistic. Pick a set of books, a set of practice tests and get all the AAMC material. Then use one of the above mentioned study plans to come up with your schedule. At the very least you can go through all the content and the exams. You own strengths/weaknesses (you should have a good idea by now, if not take a free diagnostic exam) can also help you be more efficient by skipping or skimming the topics you already know really well and jumping into practice questions in those topics.

Good luck!

My best piece of advice is to take it really slowwwwww. It's not a bad thing to be busy with non-MCAT things - it can even help sometimes because you won't have as much time to worry - but too often, people try to rush and aren't ready when they take the test. This has been happening a lot with the new exam - there's so much pressure to take the test in May or June that it's tempting to do everything at once. Above all, remember that it's better to take the test 5-6 months from now, or even later, than to take it in 2 months and have to retake anyway.

How do you feel about the content? If it's a bit rusty, I'd get any set of solid prep books and try to really dig into ONE concept every day. Say that you spend Monday reviewing fluids - reading everything that the book has to say, looking up terms on Wikipedia if they don't make sense, etc. The next day, complete as many practice questions regarding that topic as you can. Remember, though, even doing ten questions and truly analyzing every step, process and unit is a million times better than doing thirty questions in a hurry. Then, two weeks later, go back and complete passages related to that topic if you can get ahold of them. This way, you're reinforcing the material with spaced practice, while also making sure you see the concepts in an MCAT-like format.

Finally, pick ONE set of practice tests and devote yourself to analyzing them (this was already mentioned, but it's worth repeating). You really don't need a ton of money to study for the MCAT properly - in fact, the same people who worry that they aren't taking enough practice tests often don't get the maximum value from the ones they have. Keep a journal of every single mistake you make. What caused you to make it - certain words in the question stem? Misconceptions about the content? What wrong answer did you pick, and how does it differ from the correct one - more extreme? less relevant? factually false? Go back over these lessons constantly until you start to recognize your own patterns, and remember that all mistakes have meaning and can be learned from.

Good luck! It's scary to face the MCAT with a busy life already, but it can be done. I wish you the best.