MCAT 2015 Practice Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldstar97

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I finished taking the MCAT 2015 test and no evaluation of the score was given. I just received the raw data of correct answers vs incorrect answers. Here’s the breakdown. I don’t know how to interpret this. All advice is welcome. Thank you.

Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems - 23/59 (39%)
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills - 31/53 (58%)
Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems - 30/59 (51%)
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior - 25/59 (42%)

Members don't see this ad.

So, I finished taking the MCAT 2015 test and no evaluation of the score was given. I just received the raw data of correct answers vs incorrect answers. Here’s the breakdown. I don’t know how to interpret this. All advice is welcome. Thank you.

I don't think anyone will know a true score until the first real scores come out ~June 16. Have you taken any of the older practice tests? How was this test? difficult? what about CARS?

I don't think anyone will know a true score until the first real scores come out ~June 16. Have you taken any of the older practice tests? How was this test? difficult? what about CARS?

Yes I am curious too about the difficulty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were the sciences/verbal questions similar to the old MCAT questions

Reactions: 1 user

You're probably going to have to answer more questions rather than get the answers to yours :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Also keep in mind they aren't giving out scores for a while, only percentage rank...

What company created this practice test? Kaplan, AAMC, Princeton Review, Examkrackers, etc.?

The questions were mainly based on passages. Not a lot of stand alone questions. It was the AAMC practice test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course, but was the style of passages & questions similar to the old MCAT. More importantly, how was the verbal/CARS section. Any changes?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished my 2015 practice exam as of about 30 minutes ago. A few things I've noticed:

- As stated several times already, the scores will not be translated/provided until the first official scores are out. For now, you get a raw score.

-The exam reminded me the old exam as in the format, style, and pace of the exam. Overall the material was the same, but I personally think they seasoned the MCAT with a little more specifics as oppose to more the traditional general-based material/information. For an example, I had quite a few questions I was told 'not to worry about' on the old mcat (ie nervous system/skin/immune system).

- I did zero touch up on the psychological-behavioral section and found this section seems to test your recall of different types of responses, theories, and major people. Did not seem terrible and should be relatively easy to prepare for.

- CAR, surprisingly, I did the best on. This area was usually my worst one. So with that said, Verbal seems more straightforward and less ambiguous.

Pls excuse any typing errors. Kinda burned out. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 4 users
I just finished my 2015 practice exam as of about 30 minutes ago. A few things I've noticed:

- As stated several times already, the scores will not be translated/provided until the first official scores are out. For now, you get a raw score.

-The exam reminded me the old exam as in the format, style, and pace of the exam. Overall the material was the same, but I personally think they seasoned the MCAT with a little more specifics as oppose to more the traditional general-based material/information. For an example, I had quite a few questions I was told 'not to worry about' on the old mcat (ie nervous system/skin/immune system).

- I did zero touch up on the psychological-behavioral section and found this section seems to test your recall of different types of responses, theories, and major people. Did not seem terrible and should be relatively easy to prepare for.

- CAR, surprisingly, I did the best on. This area was usually my worst one. So with that said, Verbal seems more straightforward and less ambiguous.

Do you mind sharing your percentages?
If you took the old exams practice/real(aamc), what were your scores?

Was the physics/gen chem more biology based?[/QUOTE

Have you seen the topic list put out by AAMC? You can find the break down for the PS section on page 42 of the link below.
• • • • First-semester biochemistry, 25% Introductory biology, 5% General chemistry, 30% Organic chemistry, 15% Intro Physics 25%

You're looking at 30% between biochem and bio, plus 15% from the orgo, which can be very similar to biochem. So that's 45% total. They've also stated that the chem and physics will be weighted towards bio, so we're looking at physics questions related to the lens of our eyes, blood flow through arteries, and how our ears hear sounds as opposed to the typical physics questions.

I realize you were probably asking for specifics based on the test that OP took, but I wanted to share this just in case you haven't seen it.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/377882/data/mcat2015-content.pdf

1. what did you think of the research based passages? any statistics knowledge involved?

2. did you feel like you had more time left over/was it similar to old MCAT timing wise?

3. By specifics, do you mean it had random detailed questions?

4. Did you take this as a diagnostic, and then you would take it again near the end of your studying?

Was the physics/gen chem more biology based?
Defiantly. There were more biochem than I anticipated. Touch up on Chemical and Thermodynamics, kinetics, and unique nature of water and its solutions.

Do you mind sharing your percentages?
If you took the old exams practice/real(aamc), what were your scores?

I took the MCAT during a heavy semester. I was in over my head and did a little less than average. My raw score for the 2015 mcat prac exam I just took was : Chem/Physics= 21/59 36%
CARS= 30/53 57%
Bio/biochem= 26/59 44%
Psycology, social, behaviors= 23/59 39%

They suck but eh. It was a good way to see how it's like off the bat. Hopefully we can soon get a good scale to compare to to see where we fall. Until I'm going to keep practicing.

1. what did you think of the research based passages? any statistics knowledge involved?

2. did you feel like you had more time left over/was it similar to old MCAT timing wise?

3. By specifics, do you mean it had random detailed questions?

4. Did you take this as a diagnostic, and then you would take it again near the end of your studying?

1. I felt it was about the same as the old format as far as providing equations, charts, stats etc. The exam still challenges you on how to process data and use the passage to make 'good' guesses. Passages seems a little more straight forward.
2. Very similar. Except I had plenty of time left over (bout 15mins) on the psychology, social, and behavior section. I was treating it as 'hit-or-misses'....a matter of do you know or not. Not any calculations to do at all. I'll be keeping in mind with my time management on the next practice.
3.Not random but more in depth questions. Tough to explain. Got the impression it went pass then testing you 'basic understanding' on some questions...as in u needed to know what a 'nephron' was in order to solve correctly. Or you NEED certain comm precursors that many didnt really 'stress' about on the old format of mcat.
4. Absolutely. This week im going over my missed answers then will take another prac.

Reactions: 6 users

I heard this from another person who took it as well. Basically like the old exam, just spiced up with experimental passages for the bio/biochemistry.. And verbal was apparently a lot easier, the physics/gchem the same difficulty, but biochem and behavioral science had dense experiments..

What the hell has the happened to the new MCAT?

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah tbh they might as well call it A Very Long Biochemistry/Biology Focused Test. Minus Verbal.

Yeh, I would agree with this. Seems like Physics/Chem/Ochem have been deemphasized quite a bit and Biology/Biochem/Psych/Verbal have the most emphasis.

Was verbal reasoning pretty much the same as old format ?

Was PS relatively the same ? Any differences ? I wish they made the current single practice test free, and they really should release more practice tests.

also, were the verbal passages longer? What was different about it for them to extend the time for each passage?

Here's a free biochemistry book offered from OSU especially for premeds: http://biochem.science.oregonstate.edu/biochemistry-free-and-easy

They have some neat aspects included with the book to help make biochemistry fun and engaging. While you may not use it as you primary source, it may help you with grasp the more difficult concepts. Happy Studying! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys I hope everyone is doing well! I don't know if you guys have checked out the Kahn academy but they are working with AAMC (I believe) and have some great resources. Also I have talked to a lot of people and worked on some practice problems and the general consensus is that the new MCAT is geared toward being more applicable to human systems. For example on the old mcat you would get physics passages that were completely unrelated to he human body etc. it seems to me that they are now testing knowledge as it relates to the body and its systems. For example one of the Kahn academy questions deals with muscle movement and integrates physics into that instead of asking you about a wooden block and pulley system. From what I have seen, I would be excited to take the new version of the test as it seems more applicable to what we are actually trying to accomplish. I had an adcom tell me that their school did not even really care about the physics and chemistry scores as much as the VR and BS because a lot of the questions were irrelevant (I.e. One of the practice test problems dealt with earthquakes...???) I believe the hope is that he new test will be better for both applicants and schools. If anyone wants to set up a study group let me know and we can get something in the works. It's a great way to stay on track and be efficient. I studied with someone from New Mexico last year via Skype and it was a lot of fun!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys I hope everyone is doing well! I don't know if you guys have checked out the Kahn academy but they are working with AAMC (I believe) and have some great resources. Also I have talked to a lot of people and worked on some practice problems and the general consensus is that the new MCAT is geared toward being more applicable to human systems. For example on the old mcat you would get physics passages that were completely unrelated to he human body etc. it seems to me that they are now testing knowledge as it relates to the body and its systems. For example one of the Kahn academy questions deals with muscle movement and integrates physics into that instead of asking you about a wooden block and pulley system. From what I have seen, I would be excited to take the new version of the test as it seems more applicable to what we are actually trying to accomplish. I had an adcom tell me that their school did not even really care about the physics and chemistry scores as much as the VR and BS because a lot of the questions were irrelevant (I.e. One of the practice test problems dealt with earthquakes...???) I believe the hope is that he new test will be better for both applicants and schools. If anyone wants to set up a study group let me know and we can get something in the works. It's a great way to stay on track and be efficient. I studied with someone from New Mexico last year via Skype and it was a lot of fun!

Thanks for sharing. I would like to be in a study group. Have you started preparing yet? When are you planning on taking the test?

Thanks for the insight. I have been using the Khan academy videos quite a bit, but haven't gotten into the questions. Do you (or anyone else for that matter, I have not taken the AAMCs released sample test yet) know if their passage based ones are pretty representative of the new MCAT? I've heard varying things about Kaplan/ Princeton Reviews practice questions being more or less like the actual test, so since AAMC paired with Khan, was wondering if they were any more like the actual MCAT?

Thanks for the insight. I have been using the Khan academy videos quite a bit, but haven't gotten into the questions. Do you (or anyone else for that matter, I have not taken the AAMCs released sample test yet) know if their passage based ones are pretty representative of the new MCAT? I've heard varying things about Kaplan/ Princeton Reviews practice questions being more or less like the actual test, so since AAMC paired with Khan, was wondering if they were any more like the actual MCAT?
wait you heard PR was like the real exam?? that's good to hear!

wait you heard PR was like the real exam?? that's good to hear!
No, sorry I wasn't clear. I've heard completely differing things - heard Kaplan was easier than actual, heard PR was harder than actual; then heard Kaplan questions were harder. So still really not sure what to think. I guess it doesn't really matter what the score is between them since they're still scaled with respect to everyone. I just would like to know which - Kaplan, PR, ExamKrackers or esp Khan - actually simulate the questions the best.

did they give explanations for each answer choice per section?

I took a Kaplan test and the scores were provided. I got a 500 even, and am pretty nervous about that considering I'm at the tail end of my content review.

Thanks for sharing. I would like to be in a study group. Have you started preparing yet? When are you planning on taking the test?
Hi! I actually don't know if I will have to take the exam but better safe than sorry right? I am going to start looking at material in mid march and would probably shoot for July. We can definitely set something up though for anyone who wants to. I'm in school full time so I'm basically studying 16 hrs a day regardless haha shouldn't be a problem to squeeze mcat in there. They have a practice exam on aamc to purchase for $25. Maybe it would be helpful for us to set up a group. Take the first 59 question section and discuss. Regardless of where you are in your prep. I run a no judgement ship so even if you get 100% of the Qs wrong, it doesn't matter, just more opportunity for improvement. Plus no one can be worse at physics and chem than I am lol. If anyone wants to join let me know. I think this is a great way to score really high because 1. If you work problems and miss Qs someone in the group might be able to really help you understand the concept you were missing or maybe a test strategy you need to improve and 2. Helping others to understand their errors can help those who got it correct not to make the same errors and maybe learn something new. Happy studying!

Hi! I don't know if this helps at all but maybe comparing to the old mcat. So if you compare the raw score and % you can gauge what kind of score you would have on the old test. Might be incredibly unhelpful so I'll keep researching.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 666
Here's a little more scoring info.
Scoring total 528
Expected mean 500
Section expected mean 125 (50th percentile)
Section scores 118-132
124= 45%
125= 50%
130= 97%
132=100%

So I would say you want your % to be at least a 50%. From what I read, the new mcat is geared toward helping those who are in the middle. Because data shows that people who scored a 24 or greater on the old mcat were able to be successful in med school and on USMLE tests. We have all known this forever but if you present a 24 to med schools most wouldn't even look at you. That's what they say the new test is trying to avoid. Let's hope this is true. I respect AAMC for this.
image.jpg

Here's a little more scoring info.
Scoring total 528
Expected mean 500
Section expected mean 125 (50th percentile)
Section scores 118-132
124= 45%
125= 50%
130= 97%
132=100%

So I would say you want your % to be at least a 50%. From what I read, the new mcat is geared toward helping those who are in the middle. Because data shows that people who scored a 24 or greater on the old mcat were able to be successful in med school and on USMLE tests. We have all known this forever but if you present a 24 to med schools most wouldn't even look at you. That's what they say the new test is trying to avoid. Let's hope this is true. I respect AAMC for this. View attachment 189806

You know i wish this was true but the fact still remains that med schools still only have limited number of seats compared to the mountain of applicants that they receive every year. Competition for limited spots is what drives the scale to the right. Only the best and the brightest right? Sure it might give that lone underdog a shot once in a while but i wouldn't count on it as something that schools routinely follow. But either way, i guess it's still to early to tell.

You know i wish this was true but the fact still remains that med schools still only have limited number of seats compared to the mountain of applicants that they receive every year. Competition for limited spots is what drives the scale to the right. Only the best and the brightest right? Sure it might give that lone underdog a shot once in a while but i wouldn't count on it as something that schools routinely follow. But either way, i guess it's still to early to tell.
LOL ag9124 your optimism is infectious. Here is what I understand from reading the 30 page AAMC brochure (lol lots of info and I could be totally wrong), the object is to create wider ranges. (maybe not the best description but I will try to explain). For example on the old MCAT there was a HUGE difference in presenting a 27 verses a 30 to a medical school. I am not saying that either of those scores are mind blowing, but statistics show (AMCAS actually provides this information on the new brochure) that there is very little difference in medical school success between the two groups. I think the new MCAT is trying to clump people together more. I.E. now instead of presenting a 27 or a 30 you are clumped into the 27-30 range. If you talk to most people, you will find that 1 point on the old MCAT could make a big difference. I know people who got 29s and were told, it's too bad they didn't get 30s. Do you think that there is really that big of a difference in a 29 vs a 30? No. Choosing who to interview, accept, reject etc is so dang hard. I know most people are quick to snap at adcoms and label them as big meanies but I honestly think they are really trying to do the best they can. I do not envy them, the job is impossible, some one is always bummed. I think this is going to make it better for applicants and adcoms. This way we aren't all focused on 1 point differences. I hope that is how it works out anyway. I think the adcoms will really like it because i think deep down a lot of them wish they could have interviewed that one outstanding applicant that missed the cut by 1 point. and I think most of us wish we would be considered even though we missed 1 point. You can call scream at me that I'm wrong, I very well could be but this was just my interpretation of the goals discussed by AAMC. plus this process is way more fun if you always try to stay positive. Otherwise its horribly miserable. BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE! YOU WILL ALL ROCK THIS NEW TEST I HAVE FAITH!

Hi! I actually don't know if I will have to take the exam but better safe than sorry right? I am going to start looking at material in mid march and would probably shoot for July. We can definitely set something up though for anyone who wants to. I'm in school full time so I'm basically studying 16 hrs a day regardless haha shouldn't be a problem to squeeze mcat in there. They have a practice exam on aamc to purchase for $25. Maybe it would be helpful for us to set up a group. Take the first 59 question section and discuss. Regardless of where you are in your prep. I run a no judgement ship so even if you get 100% of the Qs wrong, it doesn't matter, just more opportunity for improvement. Plus no one can be worse at physics and chem than I am lol. If anyone wants to join let me know. I think this is a great way to score really high because 1. If you work problems and miss Qs someone in the group might be able to really help you understand the concept you were missing or maybe a test strategy you need to improve and 2. Helping others to understand their errors can help those who got it correct not to make the same errors and maybe learn something new. Happy studying!
Awesome. I'm in school full time too, I try to squeeze in 30 hrs per week for the MCAT. 16 hours on the weekend. I purchased the sample test already I took it yesterday, below is my raw score:

why won't you need to take the MCAT? Changing your mind about med school?
Awesome! I'm in school full time too but I try to squeeze in at least 30hours a week for the MCAT. I'm planning to take it May 22nd. I purchased the sample test already and took it yesterday. Below is my score:
Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems - 34/59 58%
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills - 40/53 - 75%
Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems - 33/59 - 56%
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior - 31/59 - 53%
I practically didn't take any psychology/sociology course, so I treated that section like I treated the CARS. I'm not too deep into content study yet, just a few chapters of the biochem, couple biology, organic, chem and physics. And yup me and you both suck in physics. I'm shooting for a 515 at least so my score needs a lot of work.
I purchased the 120 question per section bundle from AAMC for like 72 dollars, I think that will be awesome to go over as well.
I agree with the group study plans! I especially need to talk to people to remember stuff. Let me know when you would like to get started.

Awesome. I'm in school full time too, I try to squeeze in 30 hrs per week for the MCAT. 16 hours on the weekend. I purchased the sample test already I took it yesterday, below is my raw score:

Awesome! I'm in school full time too but I try to squeeze in at least 30hours a week for the MCAT. I'm planning to take it May 22nd. I purchased the sample test already and took it yesterday. Below is my score:
I practically didn't take any psychology/sociology course, so I treated that section like I treated the CARS. I'm not too deep into content study yet, just a few chapters of the biochem, couple biology, organic, chem and physics. And yup me and you both suck in physics. I'm shooting for a 515 at least so my score needs a lot of work.
I purchased the 120 question per section bundle from AAMC for like 72 dollars, I think that will be awesome to go over as well.
I agree with the group study plans! I especially need to talk to people to remember stuff. Let me know when you would like to get started.
are you done with content review? And when are you shooting to test? Your prac scores look good!

Nope not at all. On the average, I'm about couple chapters into each Kaplan book. I watched a couple Khan academy videos mostly on glucose and lipids (I'm taking biochem this semester). I'm planning on taking it May 22nd.
Thank you! I'm excited about the CARS scores.

are you done with content review? And when are you shooting to test? Your prac scores look good!
Nope not at all. On the average, I'm about couple chapters into each Kaplan book. I watched a couple Khan academy videos mostly on glucose and lipids (I'm taking biochem this semester). I'm planning on taking it May 22nd.
Thank you! I'm excited about the CARS scores.

Have you taken biochem? Is the test similar to the old aamc and was this test more of a content test or passage based?

@MurphysLaw92 taken any practice tests yet?

@EasternMer Hi! I haven't taken a full practice test yet. I started the first section but I am working on finishing my masters and I have 3 big exams coming up so I have been pretty focused on that.

@success16 Your scores look great! I am actually in application right now and I have not received word as to whether or not I will be accepted. I am sitting here with my fingers perpetually crossed in hopes that this year is my year, but if not I shall fight on and buckle down for this exam. I don't mind studying for the MCAT I actually enjoyed studying the first time but I would love to get in this year. I did pretty well on VR and BS but my PS score is less than extraordinary. I'm like the little engine that could, just keep chugging along and eventually it will happen for all of us. That's why I'm always positive and optimistic. If you keep chugging away, you'll eventually make it. Even if I get accepted I will gladly help anyone who wants it. I'll even keep up with the practice tests etc. Because even if I get accepted I would like to be a resource for people who are still trying, because let's face it, this process is HARD for most people, it has not been a walk in the park for me but I am definitely better because of it. I'm not one of those super smart people that walks into the MCAT and walks out with a 40 but I do have a very solid graduate background in biology and psychology so I am willing to be a resource to anyone. Either way starting a group would be a great thing. If I don't get accepted I will be there right along with all of you and if I do I will still be there, except on test day when I will anxiously be awaiting to hear how you all did. And maybe you guys can help me to help other pre-meds (I'm hoping to get involved as an admin counselor or mentor to pre-meds once I get accepted.) This is such a hard time for everyone and it is so much more fun and tolerable when you have a great team. I'm seeing obnoxious T-shirts in the works with TEAM 528 ( such an uncool number lol) plastered all over them lol.

@EasternMer Hi! I haven't taken a full practice test yet. I started the first section but I am working on finishing my masters and I have 3 big exams coming up so I have been pretty focused on that.

@success16 Your scores look great! I am actually in application right now and I have not received word as to whether or not I will be accepted. I am sitting here with my fingers perpetually crossed in hopes that this year is my year, but if not I shall fight on and buckle down for this exam. I don't mind studying for the MCAT I actually enjoyed studying the first time but I would love to get in this year. I did pretty well on VR and BS but my PS score is less than extraordinary. I'm like the little engine that could, just keep chugging along and eventually it will happen for all of us. That's why I'm always positive and optimistic. If you keep chugging away, you'll eventually make it. Even if I get accepted I will gladly help anyone who wants it. I'll even keep up with the practice tests etc. Because even if I get accepted I would like to be a resource for people who are still trying, because let's face it, this process is HARD for most people, it has not been a walk in the park for me but I am definitely better because of it. I'm not one of those super smart people that walks into the MCAT and walks out with a 40 but I do have a very solid graduate background in biology and psychology so I am willing to be a resource to anyone. Either way starting a group would be a great thing. If I don't get accepted I will be there right along with all of you and if I do I will still be there, except on test day when I will anxiously be awaiting to hear how you all did. And maybe you guys can help me to help other pre-meds (I'm hoping to get involved as an admin counselor or mentor to pre-meds once I get accepted.) This is such a hard time for everyone and it is so much more fun and tolerable when you have a great team. I'm seeing obnoxious T-shirts in the works with TEAM 528 ( such an uncool number lol) plastered all over them lol.
I REALLY hope you get in. It's like you knew I needed to hear this message right now. It's frustrating when I don't remember content, now I'll just keep reminding myself to chug along. I hope more people get on board and lol I agree the number makes NO sense.
I wish you the best of luck! :)