MCAT 2015 score release and application dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sat0ri

Everything we see hides another
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know the SDN orthodoxy is to apply the day applications open. In fact, I've seen many applications tanked with the only ostensible reason being applying even slightly late. As I understand, applications open early May for you to begin entering data and fiddling around, but you can only submit as soon as early June. When it is said that you should be "complete" as soon as possible, does this refer to the early-June date?

If so, it appears that the 2015 exam dates won't be released until mid June, which could be a decisive disadvantage. Can this be possible? If it is, are the med schools going to be understanding of the extenuating circumstances. So I know you don't needyour MCAT to complete the verification process above (the early Jume deadline) but when will schools first start to notice your application will you have time to adjust your schools after you receive the MCAT (if necessary)?

I guess the takeaway question I'm asking is, what's the latest I can take the exam with no disadvantage (as compared to already having an MCAT2014 score)? Would taking June 20th exam put me at a disadvantage with scores being released in July? And how about May?

A perfunctory search resulted in no answer to this.
image.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

If taking in June - potentially yes, but still not a problem as long as your score is competitive enough once it gets released.
If taking MCAT in May - scores released end of June. Your app may not be the first adcoms get to review BUT you will still be in the "very early" pile, assuming you have transmitted your AMCAS June 1st.

Either way, don't take the MCAT at the most opportune time for your app - take it when you are best prepared for it!! You don't want to rush a high stakes exam such as this and then end up potentially having to retake it.

So I know the SDN orthodoxy is to apply the day applications open. In fact, I've seen many applications tanked with the only ostensible reason being applying even slightly late. As I understand, applications open early May for you to begin entering data and fiddling around, but you can only submit as soon as early June. When it is said that you should be "complete" as soon as possible, does this refer to the early-June date?

If so, it appears that the 2015 exam dates won't be released until mid June, which could be a decisive disadvantage. Can this be possible? If it is, are the med schools going to be understanding of the extenuating circumstances. So I know you don't needyour MCAT to complete the verification process above (the early Jume deadline) but when will schools first start to notice your application will you have time to adjust your schools after you receive the MCAT (if necessary)?

I guess the takeaway question I'm asking is, what's the latest I can take the exam with no disadvantage (as compared to already having an MCAT2014 score)? Would taking June 20th exam put me at a disadvantage with scores being released in July? And how about May?

A perfunctory search resulted in no answer to this.
View attachment 188861
Pretty sure AAMC already said the first two dates, April and May, will be released by the first day you're able to submit your application. Not sure if June is in that pile or not.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Recall that historically, AMCAS hasn't released any verified applications to med schools until the last week of June. If you only apply to one school initially, you can add more schools when your score is known for which you'll be competitive. If your score is dismal, you'd only be risking the initial application fee rather than the charges for a full panel.

Reactions: 4 users
Recall that historically, AMCAS hasn't released any verified applications to med schools until the last week of June. If you only apply to one school initially, you can add more schools when your score is known for which you'll be competitive. If your score is dismal, you'd only be risking the initial application fee rather than the charges for a full panel.
Thank you for your reply. Another question came up, but I just want to confirm that I understand:

The April test released June 17 = no problem whatsoever
The May test released June 31 = negligible to nonexistent problem

I'm not actually certain on this but the June test released July 21 = non-negligible problem but likely rather minor??? Can you give me at least a qualitative evaluation of the consequence of scores being released at that time?

Ok, and my question that prompted my taking the time/effort to bump this thread:

How will this analysis change, if at all, for MD/PhD applications, which pending my MCAT score, is my primary objective?

EDIT: by "problem", what I mean is (but not limited to), some disadvantage in applying, like later II's/interviews or some other issue, possibly unforeseen

complete I believe refers to having the secondaries in. June test released July 21st seems like a potential problem, as then you are delayed on secondaries and are behind most of the SDN'ers, and run the risk of applying late. Same logic but even more so for MD/PhD applicants, as that is even more competitive, and thus I think they apply even earlier.

1) Another question came up, but I just want to confirm that I understand:

The April test released June 17 = no problem whatsoever
The May test released June 31 = negligible to nonexistent problem

2) I'm not actually certain on this but the June test released July 21 = non-negligible problem but likely rather minor??? Can you give me at least a qualitative evaluation of the consequence of scores being released at that time?

3) How will this analysis change, if at all, for MD/PhD applications, which pending my MCAT score, is my primary objective?

EDIT: by "problem", what I mean is (but not limited to), some disadvantage in applying, like later II's/interviews or some other issue, possibly unforeseen
1) Yes.

2) As long as you are Complete at all schools August 1, which is doable with a July 21 release, IF YOU GET SECONDARIES PROMPTLY AND RETURN THEM IN A DAY OR TWO (which might not happen at schools which screen), your disadvantage will be small. For schools with EDP, which will be focusing on those applications first due to their Aug 1 deadline, this is likely to shrink to negligible.

3) I am not involved with MD/PhD applications, but at my school their entire process runs later. An n=1 from me isn't going to help you answer the question.

Cautionary note: If you have a spectacular application, you may well go to the head of the line no matter when you apply. If it's above average for a given institution, it still might be "cherry-picked" for earlier consideration. If it's average-ish, and you're applying to a reach school, you may have to wait in another queue for awhile. Don't imagine that if your application is first in the door that it will necessarily be evaluated in the order of receipt.

Another issue which cannot be controlled for, is that screeners work through their assigned files at widely variable paces.

Reactions: 1 user
Direct Quote from the AAMC website:
"That said, MCAT scores from the April and May 2015 administrations will be reported to examinees prior to the date when AMCAS first sends applications to medical schools for the 2016 application cycle. This will eliminate any disadvantage that these early examinees might face relative to applicants who took the MCAT exam prior to April 2015. Additionally, the AAMC will be providing these early examinees with preliminary estimates of their percentile ranks two to three weeks after they test. These preliminary estimates will inform examinees of the likely range of percentile ranks in which their scores are likely to fall and help them decide whether to re-take the exam and where they might want to apply."

Reactions: 3 users
"That said, MCAT scores from the April and May 2015 administrations will be reported to examinees prior to the date when AMCAS first sends applications to medical schools for the 2016 application cycle. This will eliminate any disadvantage that these early examinees might face relative to applicants who took the MCAT exam prior to April 2015. Additionally, the AAMC will be providing these early examinees with preliminary estimates of their percentile ranks two to three weeks after they test. These preliminary estimates will inform examinees of the likely range of percentile ranks in which their scores are likely to fall and help them decide whether to re-take the exam and where they might want to apply."
Wow, that's actually really handy of them. I wish they had done that for my AAMC test. 1 month of uncertainty was no fun.

I have a 2014 score that's good for some schools but i will be retaking in august..would taking it that late delay my app even if i already have a 2014 score?

Even these dates seem kind of late. People who took the old MCAT can be verified day 1 and get secondaries almost 3 weeks before people taking the April test.
You do not need your MCAT score to be verified. Verification typically takes 1 month or more, so no disadvantage. To be complete and at a school (or sometimes to get secondaries sent to you) you need to have an MCAT sent that school, so it only becomes an issue in that context. I'm a bit hazy on that last part myself, but at any rate, you'll be able to get verified "day 1". Read this thread for more info.

I have a 2014 score that's good for some schools but i will be retaking in august..would taking it that late delay my app even if i already have a 2014 score?
If you are planning to submit your application with your original score, there's nothing stopping you from being perfectly on time. You can update the schools later when/if your new score becomes available (which is done automatically if you don't void; so there is a danger of doing worse).

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. Can you provide a link for that? I swear I looked through AAMC before posting, but there's so much basic/introductory stuff regard the 2015 exam to wade through that I get frustrated

1) Yes.

2) As long as you are Complete at all schools August 1, which is doable with a July 21 release, IF YOU GET SECONDARIES PROMPTLY AND RETURN THEM IN A DAY OR TWO (which might not happen at schools which screen), your disadvantage will be small. For schools with EDP, which will be focusing on those applications first due to their Aug 1 deadline, this is likely to shrink to negligible.

3) I am not involved with MD/PhD applications, but at my school their entire process runs later. An n=1 from me isn't going to help you answer the question.

Cautionary note: If you have a spectacular application, you may well go to the head of the line no matter when you apply. If it's above average for a given institution, it still might be "cherry-picked" for earlier consideration. If it's average-ish, and you're applying to a reach school, you may have to wait in another queue for awhile. Don't imagine that if your application is first in the door that it will necessarily be evaluated in the order of receipt.

Another issue which cannot be controlled for, is that screeners work through their assigned files at widely variable paces.
Thanks again. It's a greatly appreciated luxury to have adcoms/faculty here to weigh in on these things

2) Ah I see, so the biggest problem is that some schools won't send out secondaries without the MCAT scores, but I guess if you have some outline drafts ready (and II's get sent ASAP), you can get a fast enough turn around so that your application being seen some time after July 21st this gap will be less noticeable in the bigger picture.
3) Thank you. It's strange, there's volumes of information on SDN and AAMC about MD, but MD/PhD seems like a big mystery. EDIT @LizzyM I don't want to abuse the privilege of asking directly, but do you have anything to add on MD/PhD application dates and the release of MCAT scores?
Cationary note--I'm not looking for an advantage, just want to make sure I'm not putting myself at a disadvantage. I do see how it is important for you to mention that caveat. I certainly am shooting for attractive stats that will garner some early attention. That information definitely helps when trying to weigh being prepared for the MCAT vs. submitting ASAP