MCAT 2015 scoring explained: Still 15 points per section, with a twist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

35runic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT 2015 scoring is fundamentally very similar to the current system.

In my opinion, the new scoring system is very stupid for a several reasons.

That said, it is fundamentally very similar to the current system.

Quick Overview of the MCAT 2015 Scoring System:

There are 4 sections. Each section is scored from 118 to 132. Note that 125 is the midpoint of that range. (See Note 1 below.) 132 is the best score. Add all 4 section scores together to get the composite score. The composite score ranges from 472 to 528. Note that 500 is the midpoint of that range. (Again, see Note 1.)

Similarities between Old and New:

1. There are 15 possible scores on each section. On the old MCAT, those scores are named 1, 2, 3... 15. On the new MCAT 2015, those scores are named 118, 119... 132. There are exactly 15 possible scores in both cases. To translate an MCAT 2015 score into an old MCAT score, just subtract 117.

2. To make the composite score, you simply add the scores from all sections. This is the same on both tests.

Differences:

3. There are 4 sections on the new MCAT 2015, whereas there are only 3 sections on the current MCAT.

4. On the old MCAT, the composite score ranged from 3 to 45. That is 43 possible scores. On the new MCAT 2015, there are 57 possible composite scores.

Why are there 43 possible scores on the old MCAT, that's not even a multiple of 3? Good question. There are 3 sections multiplied by 15 possible scores for each section, which equals 45. Then you need to subtract N-1 because of degeneracy, where N is the number of sections (3 in this case). Degeneracy arises because there is more than one way to achieve a given composite score. So we have (3 sections) * (15 possible scores) - (3-1) = 43 possible composite scores.

The new MCAT 2015 has 4 sections, so the equation is now (4 sections) * (15 possible scores) - (4-1) = 57 possible composite scores.

Think of it this way: The new MCAT 2015 is scored from 1 to 15 on each section, and the composite score goes from 4 to 60. That is analogous to the current system, but with 4 sections instead of 3.

However, the MCAT 2015 composite scores do not range from 4 to 60, instead they add a constant value of 468 to all scores. After adding this constant, the MCAT 2015 composite scores range from 472 to 528.

Note 1:

The AAMC materials draw bell curves, and strongly imply (using this graphic) that a section score of 125 is the mean, median, and mode. Recall that a section score of 125 is equivalent to a section score of 8 on the old MCAT. Data published by the AAMC shows that 8 is not the mean or median section score, the median is just under 9 and the mean is almost 10, and it varies by section slightly. Data from the AAMC also shows that the curve is not a bell curve, although it is vaguely similar. The actual curve has positive skewness (a bell curve has zero skewness) and the actual curve has much lower kurtosis than a Gaussian distribution (a.k.a. a normal distribution, a classic bell curve).

So the current curve is not a bell curve, and the new curve may change shape even more. We won't know for at least a year, because they wait at least a year before publishing statistics.

Sources:

These are both official AAMC sources. They start out the same, but they have different content.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/mcat2015scores/

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/admins/377834/usingscoresforadmissions.html

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Thanks for the explanation. Makes it easier to comprehend these weird numbers. Suffice to say I don't like the new numbers!

Why would they make the center 500, and not 1,000?

Allegedly they are using the weirdo scale so that MCAT 2015 scores will not be confused with anything else, but isn't 500 a valid score on several other graduate school admissions tests? I know it is a valid score on the SAT II subject tests.

Here is a conversion table to convert old scores (3 to 45) into MCAT 2015 scores (472 to 528). This conversion table is as accurate as possible given what AAMC has published so far. In the future, this table can be tweaked using information on the percentiles for the MCAT 2015.

For the composite score (total score):

Old - New
---------
03 -- 472
06 -- 476
09 -- 480
12 -- 484
15 -- 488
18 -- 492
21 -- 496
24 -- 500
27 -- 504
30 -- 508
33 -- 512
36 -- 516
39 -- 520
42 -- 524
45 -- 528

For a single section:

Old - New
---------
01 -- 118
02 -- 119
03 -- 120
04 -- 121
05 -- 122
06 -- 123
07 -- 124
08 -- 125 * "Average"
09 -- 126
10 -- 127
11 -- 128
12 -- 129
13 -- 130
14 -- 131
15 -- 132

Take this with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As a very quick, very rough rule of thumb if you're trying to understand new scores:

"500 is the new 25. 510 is the new 30."

That is, the average test-taker used to get around a 25, the AAMC says that the average test-taker will get around a 500 now.

The usually accepted "good" score was 30+ (really ~31-32 for average matriculants) meaning you had to score roughly 2-2.5 points above the average on each section to have a good score. Since there's now four sections, adding 2.5 points to each section score brings the 500 up to a 510. Plus making everything round numbers makes it easier to remember. :p

So 510 is the new 30.

Two questions for Next Step Tutor:

1. I have seen you (Next Step Tutor) and also another poster, Next_Step_Tutor_1. Any relation? Coworkers?

2. You got a 44 on the current MCAT, very impressive! Do you plan to take the MCAT 2015 in order to advertise your services in the future? I used to be an SAT and GRE tutor (plus regular college class tutor, plus other tests if I felt qualified relative to the student), so I took the older SAT (I scored 2350) and also the newer SAT (I scored 1550), just to advertise. I had already gotten into college, so taking the SAT again was non-risky. So, are you taking the MCAT 2015? If so, when are you taking it?

Unless I'm doing it wrong, Kaplan only has like 10 passages total online. I got the 7 set review but there's only like 1 or 2 passages available for each book (corresponding to 1 or 2 chapters per book) :confused:

Two questions for Next Step Tutor:

1. I have seen you (Next Step Tutor) and also another poster, Next_Step_Tutor_1. Any relation? Coworkers?

2. You got a 44 on the current MCAT, very impressive! Do you plan to take the MCAT 2015 in order to advertise your services in the future? I used to be an SAT and GRE tutor (plus regular college class tutor, plus other tests if I felt qualified relative to the student), so I took the older SAT (I scored 2350) and also the newer SAT (I scored 1550), just to advertise. I had already gotten into college, so taking the SAT again was non-risky. So, are you taking the MCAT 2015? If so, when are you taking it?

The other Next Step accounts are some of the amazing tutors that work here at Next Step. I think the #1 acct is TJ, easily one of our most popular tutors.

At the moment, I don't plan on sitting for the new official MCAT, although I have already taken the practice test.

The MCAT is really different from the SAT/ACT. When you take the MCAT, you are required to certify that you're taking it ONLY for the purposes of admission to medical school. In fact, given my repeated high performance, I already had the AAMC initiate an "investigation" against me awhile back. However I discussed my situation with them and they were satisfied and closed the case, allowing me to re-take the exam. I'll be taking the current MCAT one last time on 1/15/15 and probably applying to med schools in the spring of 2015 or 2016. As such, it's pretty unlikely that I'll need to take the new version of the exam, but who knows? If I do, I'll be happy to share my wisdom (within the strict limits imposed by the AAMC) with SDN.

Unless I'm doing it wrong, Kaplan only has like 10 passages total online. I got the 7 set review but there's only like 1 or 2 passages available for each book (corresponding to 1 or 2 chapters per book) :confused:

That's weird. When I registered my full boxed set, I got access to 3 full exams and a bunch of other videos and passages. If you purchased the full boxed set and didn't get at least three full tests, I would complain to their customer service.

The other Next Step accounts are some of the amazing tutors that work here at Next Step. I think the #1 acct is TJ, easily one of our most popular tutors.

At the moment, I don't plan on sitting for the new official MCAT, although I have already taken the practice test.

The MCAT is really different from the SAT/ACT. When you take the MCAT, you are required to certify that you're taking it ONLY for the purposes of admission to medical school. In fact, given my repeated high performance, I already had the AAMC initiate an "investigation" against me awhile back. However I discussed my situation with them and they were satisfied and closed the case, allowing me to re-take the exam. I'll be taking the current MCAT one last time on 1/15/15 and probably applying to med schools in the spring of 2015 or 2016. As such, Tis pretty unlikely that I'll need to take the new version of the exam, but who knows? If I do, I'll be happy to share my wisdom (within the strict limits imposed by the AAMC) with SDN.

That's weird. When I registered my full boxed set, I got access to 3 full exams and a bunch of other videos and passages. If you purchased the full boxed set and didn't get at least three full tests, I would complain to their customer service.

I forgot to mention I also did get the 3 FL's, and for psych and biochem there are like 5 videos, but most of the books only have like 2 passages corresponding to a specific chapter, like this, right?

example: gen chem. only passages for chapter 1 and chapter 9

upload_2014-12-24_15-29-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-12-24_15-28-44.png
    upload_2014-12-24_15-28-44.png
    237.7 KB · Views: 91

The MCAT is really different from the SAT/ACT. When you take the MCAT, you are required to certify that you're taking it ONLY for the purposes of admission to medical school. In fact, given my repeated high performance, I already had the AAMC initiate an "investigation" against me awhile back. However I discussed my situation with them and they were satisfied and closed the case, allowing me to re-take the exam. I'll be taking the current MCAT one last time on 1/15/15 and probably applying to med schools in the spring of 2015 or 2016. As such, Tis pretty unlikely that I'll need to take the new version of the exam, but who knows? If I do, I'll be happy to share my wisdom (within the strict limits imposed by the AAMC) with SDN.

Wow! Didn't know you were planning on going to med school. That's great! Hopefully you help those of us who enjoy your MCAT insight for the next couple of years.

Next Step Tutor, why are you taking the MCAT on January 15th? You scored a 44 just 8 months ago, that 44 is extremely high and still very fresh. Are you taking it in January in case you don't apply for fall 2016, and you instead aim for entry in fall of 2017?

I took the MCAT in December 2014 (i.e. 19 days ago). My score is sufficiently fresh for either entry in fall 2016 or entry in fall 2017, right? If I apply for entry in fall 2017, my score will only be 1.5 years old. Med schools usually say 3 years, and a few med schools say 2 years, so 1.5 years is sufficiently fresh, right?

I really am aiming for entry in fall 2016, though.

I'm not sure if you mentioned it already or if this is allowed but could you give your opinions on the new sample test, compared to the old test? I won't be taking it until like 5-6 weeks out from my test.

Was the Psych section simple/easy or at least easier than the other sections? Is the CARS extra time helpful (I think it's around ~10 min per passage now? Are the CARS passages much different/difficult than the current VR? Did it seem like it was a lot less regurgitation of equations/facts, and more critical thinking in all the sections? Wouldn't that make it slightly easier if more questions are in the passage? How'd you do on the exam compared to current MCAT scores?
And did orgo/physics feel very de-emphasized on the sample exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think AAMC is not only going to standardize the exam but also adjust the scale and the percentiles for inflation. When I took the Trial section last year, a 61% put me in the "top-quarter" - no way that will translate to the scale being used for the 2015 tests.

So for the upcoming testing cycle, a 30 could be a 512, etc

I think AAMC is not only going to standardize the exam but also adjust the scale and the percentiles for inflation. When I took the Trial section last year, a 61% put me in the "top-quarter" - no way that will translate to the scale being used for the 2015 tests.

So for the upcoming testing cycle, a 30 could be a 512, etc

I'm confused…is this a good or bad thing? Are you saying that the first round of MCAT 2015 test-takers in April will have it easier since their scores will be inflated? Or will they be given a more lenient scale since it is the first time the test is administered?

I'm confused…is this a good or bad thing?
It is not inherently good or bad. Fundamentally, if Alice has more correct answers than Bob, then Alice will have a higher score than Bob. Nothing will change that.

It is not yet clear what percentage of correct answers will correspond to what scaled score. That is the point being made.

The only "solution" is to look at the percentiles, because percentiles will be mostly comparable between the old MCAT and the MCAT2015. This comparability may not be perfect. However, imperfect statistics on the part of the AAMC is just one reason why you can't necessarily compare percentiles. Another reason is that some people do better on a short test, and some people have more stamina. Yet another reason is that some people know sociology (on the MCAT2015) and some people do not.

These are different tests and the scores mean different things.

TLDR: MCAT scores are gonna go down, and to do well, thinking critically will be more important that ever

I think that consistency is going to be much more important for the new MCAT. For instance, before, an 11 in an individual section was ok, but getting 11s across all sections was rewarded with a nice bump in percentile ( the reward for doing well consistently). I think with the new section, scored on the same scale, the consistency for getting 11s across the board will be even greater.

Also, I really think the idea of a 510 corresponding to the new average score for matriculation is definitely too high. That's the equivalent for matriculation scores are NOW. I think Next Step Tutor is employing the whole "shoot for the stars and you'll still land of the moon" kind of mentality for all of you on SDN. But in my opinion, I think the new matriculation score will be ~ 507, corresponding to a 29-30 on the current scale. Maybe my logic is flawed, but say instead of 3 or even 4 sections, the MCAT was 20 sections, each on a 15 point scale. Everyone is going to score much closer to the middle, and scores even slightly better that the middle will be even more impressive.

Another thing - I've taught hundreds of students as an MCAT teacher, and I can tell you this MCAT will be much much harder to study for. It will be much more challenging to "beat" the test by studying specific high yield concepts. This is because:

1) The prep materials will not be as good. No test company really knows for sure what the heck to expect from the new MCAT. Sure, a lot of the physics, gchem, and bio will be unchanged. But there is a ton of new, more difficult to specifically definite materials in the area of sociology and psychology. Also, my perception after having looked at the new prep materials is that they are making the textbooks much denser and the practice questions much more challenging to set a high bar, as opposed to a low one ("your materials were too easy and didn't thoroughly prepare me! " - that's what the companies don't want to hear students saying). Until materials become more efficient, preparing will be challenging for the faint of heart (not impossible though!!!!). With that said, I would DEFINITELY get the books. Having a high bar is better than no bar, and just because they won't prepare you as thoroughly for the exam as prep materials do now for the old version, that doesn't mean this is the best possible way of upping your chances of doing well.

2) MORE IMPORTANTLY, the MCAT, more than ever, will be a critical thinking test. Being able to quickly shift between physics, ghcem and ochem on the new PS, bringing to the table a HUGE amount of bio/biochem for the new BS, and for most of us, learning a @#$% ton of random psychological and sociological theories that you will be expected to know COLD (e.g. knowing the difference between obsessive compulsive disorder, and obsessive compulsive personality disorder). Again, my feeling is that this new information will be much more difficult to "box up", as the information isn't as rigid as older materials (e.g. physics equations). Intuition, a strong "feeling" for the material, aka critical reading will be really important.

3) Probably MOST important, the way you look at passages will (a lot of the time) will be totally different. This will be especially true for experiment based passages. It's difficult to describe unless you have done some of the new practice materials (as I have), but you won't necessarily take the words of passages as canon as you did on the old MCAT. Before, I feel the approach to MCAT passages was 1) read the passage for understanding, paraphrase, get the key points followed by 2) critically think (and if you have prepared well, almost reflexively) answering the questions. Now, you will not just have to critical think for the questions, but also in reading the passage (in addition to understanding it). Do the scientists conclusion make sense? Does the data the researcher collected REALLY support this argument? Is she being to broad in her conclusions? If she changed X how would that affect Y?

My $0.02. I'm excited to see the new 2015 AAMC Practice test.

Reactions: 1 user
TLDR: MCAT scores are gonna go down, and to do well, thinking critically will be more important that ever

I think that consistency is going to be much more important for the new MCAT. For instance, before, an 11 in an individual section was ok, but getting 11s across all sections was rewarded with a nice bump in percentile ( the reward for doing well consistently). I think with the new section, scored on the same scale, the consistency for getting 11s across the board will be even greater.

Also, I really think the idea of a 510 corresponding to the new average score for matriculation is definitely too high. That's the equivalent for matriculation scores are NOW. I think Next Step Tutor is employing the whole "shoot for the stars and you'll still land of the moon" kind of mentality for all of you on SDN. But in my opinion, I think the new matriculation score will be ~ 507, corresponding to a 29-30 on the current scale. Maybe my logic is flawed, but say instead of 3 or even 4 sections, the MCAT was 20 sections, each on a 15 point scale. Everyone is going to score much closer to the middle, and scores even slightly better that the middle will be even more impressive.

Another thing - I've taught hundreds of students as an MCAT teacher, and I can tell you this MCAT will be much much harder to study for. It will be much more challenging to "beat" the test by studying specific high yield concepts. This is because:

1) The prep materials will not be as good. No test company really knows for sure what the heck to expect from the new MCAT. Sure, a lot of the physics, gchem, and bio will be unchanged. But there is a ton of new, more difficult to specifically definite materials in the area of sociology and psychology. Also, my perception after having looked at the new prep materials is that they are making the textbooks much denser and the practice questions much more challenging to set a high bar, as opposed to a low one ("your materials were too easy and didn't thoroughly prepare me! " - that's what the companies don't want to hear students saying). Until materials become more efficient, preparing will be challenging for the faint of heart (not impossible though!!!!). With that said, I would DEFINITELY get the books. Having a high bar is better than no bar, and just because they won't prepare you as thoroughly for the exam as prep materials do now for the old version, that doesn't mean this is the best possible way of upping your chances of doing well.

2) MORE IMPORTANTLY, the MCAT, more than ever, will be a critical thinking test. Being able to quickly shift between physics, ghcem and ochem on the new PS, bringing to the table a HUGE amount of bio/biochem for the new BS, and for most of us, learning a @#$% ton of random psychological and sociological theories that you will be expected to know COLD (e.g. knowing the difference between obsessive compulsive disorder, and obsessive compulsive personality disorder). Again, my feeling is that this new information will be much more difficult to "box up", as the information isn't as rigid as older materials (e.g. physics equations). Intuition, a strong "feeling" for the material, aka critical reading will be really important.

3) Probably MOST important, the way you look at passages will (a lot of the time) will be totally different. This will be especially true for experiment based passages. It's difficult to describe unless you have done some of the new practice materials (as I have), but you won't necessarily take the words of passages as canon as you did on the old MCAT. Before, I feel the approach to MCAT passages was 1) read the passage for understanding, paraphrase, get the key points followed by 2) critically think (and if you have prepared well, almost reflexively) answering the questions. Now, you will not just have to critical think for the questions, but also in reading the passage (in addition to understanding it). Do the scientists conclusion make sense? Does the data the researcher collected REALLY support this argument? Is she being to broad in her conclusions? If she changed X how would that affect Y?

My $0.02. I'm excited to see the new 2015 AAMC Practice test.

hmm I hear you..so I'm hoping the med schools will rely more heavily on the percentile score rather than trying to convert the 500 range score in the current (i.e. 45 point scale) format right? I feel like since everyone who is taking it will be hit with the same difficult exam, there's still some comfort knowing that percentile score will be valued by med schools hopefully!

Based on the relative lack of MCAT prep materials, and the fact that it will take a few years for prep materials to catch up, I think it is somewhat unfair that so many med schools say "MCAT 2015 preferred" or "MCAT 2015 required" for the 2017 cycle (and in some cases even the 2016 cycle).

I think the fairest thing is "accepts both", and it seems all the most prestigious MD programs do have the "accepts both" policy for as long as possible. This policy needs to phase out because MCAT scores become "stale" after 2 or 3 years, depending on the school.

If you look at the chart, all the best schools (Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc.) have the "accepts both" policy. And the only schools that have "MCAT 2015 required" for really early years are among the worst schools, in terms of stats.

I don't understand it.

I wouldn't even worry about the med school policies MassFX. Just focus on how well you can do on the new MCAT. And if you have already taken the MCAT, and like you score, don't worry about it at all. It's out of your hands.

I am sure that the medical schools, each one individually, will receive a huge amount of data from AAMC about the first test dates and score breakdowns. They will probably determine their own (soft) cutoffs for scores. It will be interesting to see if med schools attempt to standardize old and new scores, or, if they go for a quota like 50:50 in terms of people will old and new MCAT scores. I guess ideally, such a quota wouldn't even be needed, and it would end up being 50:50 (or 30:70, if 30% of people have new scores, and 70% have old for example) without any conscious consideration.

That said, I think the WORST thing someone can do at this point is take an early new MCAT, and not even plan on applying for 2015-2016 cycle. Absolutely no point to do that. Better off wait it out till prep materials get more efficient.

Again, I want to reiterate, that the new books by test prep companies definitely have ALL of the information you need to do well. However, it is a ton of information, and surely over time, "higher yield" materials will be more stressed in these books.

With that said, I always tell my students, don't even worry about the score. Whether it's your first practice test, your last, or whatever the medical schools will never ever see it. Focus on the mistakes you make, the areas in which you can improve, and flush out that knowledge base. That's all you can really do (and that's what's really most important when it comes down to it anyway). And whether its the old version or 2015, I think this mentality still applies.

So, the AAMC says "this version" of the MCAT "will last at least 15 years". I somehow doubt it. I suspect this version is too long, 6 hours and 15 minutes of content is just too long. I think they will trim it at least slightly in less than 15 years.

For comparison, the version of the MCAT that just ended was not in existence for very long. The writing sample was removed just a few years ago.

Would anyone care to wager how long the MCAT2015 exists in this form before it is changed in some way, such as longer breaks or shorter sections? I would take 50-50 odds on 6 years. I think it is unlikely to survive 15 years without tweaking.

Are any of the other grad school tests this long?

Don't stress about the scores: you have to understand what makes the national curve and averages are the applicants. Due to the lack of prep materials and large speculation, I don't expect the national average to even be near 510 for the next two years, maybe even less than that–which just goes to show it's nothing but speculation (yes,like what I am doing now). Take it easy, try as hard as you can, apply early to your schools and make sure other parts of your application are strong: GPA, LORs (or a Premed committee letter), ECs, PS, LOIs and lastly, the interview. Give yourself plenty of time to study for the new MCAT, and if you have to apply a while after you graduate college (like I am), to have plenty of time to study for the new MCAT over the summer: don't worry–months go by fast in the admission cycle.

I swear, I have never heard so much talk of a test that: (a) no one has taken (b) no one knows what score to get (c) how adcoms will look at scoring (d) no prep company knows what the test will be like (e) no college premed advisor has seen the test, so they can not tell you what the test will be like

Convert all you want, but due to different material and set up of the new test, it's like comparing apples to oranges. How can you say a getting a 30 on a test that has three sections with 5 subjects is comparable to a 510 on a test that has four sections with 7 subjects. Some of you premeds, I swear...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Has the AAMC published any more data on the MCAT 2015 scores, and what scores correlate to what percentile rank?

For instance, this might be visible if you took a practice test. On the old MCAT, the practice tests would say the score and the percentile (as a range).

So, the AAMC says "this version" of the MCAT "will last at least 15 years". I somehow doubt it. I suspect this version is too long, 6 hours and 15 minutes of content is just too long. I think they will trim it at least slightly in less than 15 years.

For comparison, the version of the MCAT that just ended was not in existence for very long. The writing sample was removed just a few years ago.

Would anyone care to wager how long the MCAT2015 exists in this form before it is changed in some way, such as longer breaks or shorter sections? I would take 50-50 odds on 6 years. I think it is unlikely to survive 15 years without tweaking.

Wasn't the old format of the MCAT around since 1992? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_College_Admission_Test)
That'd be ~23 years. Granted, it wasn't computer-based until 2007, but wasn't the content the same even when it was paper/pen?
Or did the change into computer-based testing also bring along content change as well?

Its 15 points in the whole scale, but I'm not sure that it would be as equivalent as the old test. This new exam is more of an endurance and it takes alot more to score higher. It would not be accurate to say a 508 is like applying with an mcat of 30 because the 30 is a 4 hour exam and this one is like a full day on the clock. Its just something to consider when evaluating scores. Also, has anyone else noticed that these scales are like IQ test scales? I mean, you have to be above like 125 conservatively to be smart enough to get into med school, did anyone else see the individual section scores this way??? Just to clarify my reasoning, very intelligent people are usually intelligent in one area, and it seems like the scoring in all areas would have to balance out to make a well-rounded doctor, and to phase out the really-smart-but-no-people-skills-costs-us-liability doctors. Just a thought....

I disagree. See AAMC committed to changing the MCAT to better evaluate potential doctors - who take board exams nevermind usmle. Those exams are all day tests. The new mcat prepares you mentally and physically for concentration and endurance. The new section also makes alot of sense to add. I always thought psychology should be given the respect it should. Still, if anything goes to shorten the new test, it would probably be the psych/soc part but that would be sucky because all of that research would be flushed.

I disagree. See AAMC committed to changing the MCAT to better evaluate potential doctors - who take board exams nevermind usmle. Those exams are all day tests. The new mcat prepares you mentally and physically for concentration and endurance. The new section also makes alot of sense to add. I always thought psychology should be given the respect it should. Still, if anything goes to shorten the new test, it would probably be the psych/soc part but that would be sucky because all of that research would be flushed.

Even though I disliked psych during high school (and never took sociology), I have to say that I appreciate what the AAMC has done in reformatting the test with the new section, although it has been causing me lots of pain and sorrow to have to study so much more. I will say though that I do not think that Psych/Soc deserves a whole section by itself. The content needed in the life sciences section is equivalent to 4 semesters worth of classes (bio1/2 + ochem1 + biochem1) and the physical sciences section is equivalent to 6 semesters worth of classes (chem1/2 + phys1/2 + biochem1 + ochem1). The psych/soc is apparently equivalent to 2 semesters worth of classes (psych 1 + soc1).

I don't think the large (i.e. equivalent) weight for the psych/soc section is entirely justified

I strongly suspect the AAMC will shorten the MCAT by shortening all of the sections equally (more or less), and I suspect they will do this in approximately 6 years. I agree that they will not cut out the psychology and sociology. They added it, and they will stick with it. I also suspect it will be at least 3 years before the MCAT gets tweaked, because it will take time to realize the mistake and implement a solution.

I disagree with the reasoning that "med school requires endurance, very long workdays, and very long tests, so the MCAT can be hours longer than other standardized tests." First, the AAMC did not make the MCAT 85% longer for the purpose of testing endurance. The AAMC made the MCAT 85% longer in order to include more material, and they have written papers and done research to justify the material that they added. You cannot invent motivations for the AAMC's actions when the AAMC has very publicly announced their true motivations. Second, making the test longer makes it more expensive. I strongly suspect that the profit margin for the AAMC has gone down considerably, and I suspect they may come to regret that compromise. Third, the MCAT is higher stakes than the other med school tests (board exams and USMLE Steps 1-3), in my opinion. I know, I might feel differently if I ever get the chance to take Step 1. However, I have talked to many board-certified physicians on this topic. The pass rate for Steps 1-3 is nearly 100%, and you can retake the exams if you fail at first. If the pass rate is nearly 100%, I call that a relatively low-stakes exam. In contrast, at least 56% of the people who take the MCAT get zero acceptances. The 44% who get at least one acceptance may not get in at their top choice if their MCAT score is good but not great. So let's compare: 95% to 98% first-time pass rate on the USMLE Step exams, plus the opportunity to retake the test, versus a 44% "pass rate" on the MCAT even after retakes. The "first-time pass rate" on the MCAT is probably less than 40%, because a fair number of people take the MCAT more than once. I would say the MCAT is higher stakes. "But your USMLE scores will help you get a better residency", you shout. That is true, but the MCAT helps you get into a better med school, and that is highly analogous. Residency does not make the USMLE exams higher stakes than the MCAT. I would argue that getting a bad MCAT score and then not being a doctor of any kind makes the MCAT higher stakes than the USMLE exams. Almost 100% of med school graduates match to a residency, but only 44% of med school applicants get accepted.

With 6 hours and 15 minutes of material, 7 hours of "seat time", and an 8 to 10-hour test day overall, the MCAT 2015 is basically torture. Thankfully I already took the MCAT and got a decent score.

The USMLE Step exams do involve 8-hour testing days, but they do not include as much extra stuff. The MCAT has all this other time-consuming crap, like getting your passport checked, and your fingerprints, and the lockers, and waiting to be checked in. An unlucky MCAT taker could easily spend 10 hours at the testing center. That is definitely comparable to the USMLE, with its nominally 8-hour days.

I strongly suspect the AAMC will shorten the MCAT by shortening all of the sections equally (more or less), and I suspect they will do this in approximately 6 years. I agree that they will not cut out the psychology and sociology. They added it, and they will stick with it. I also suspect it will be at least 3 years before the MCAT gets tweaked, because it will take time to realize the mistake and implement a solution.

I disagree with the reasoning that "med school requires endurance, very long workdays, and very long tests, so the MCAT can be hours longer than other standardized tests." First, the AAMC did not make the MCAT 85% longer for the purpose of testing endurance. The AAMC made the MCAT 85% longer in order to include more material, and they have written papers and done research to justify the material that they added. You cannot invent motivations for the AAMC's actions when the AAMC has very publicly announced their true motivations. Second, making the test longer makes it more expensive. I strongly suspect that the profit margin for the AAMC has gone down considerably, and I suspect they may come to regret that compromise. Third, the MCAT is higher stakes than the other med school tests (board exams and USMLE Steps 1-3), in my opinion. I know, I might feel differently if I ever get the chance to take Step 1. However, I have talked to many board-certified physicians on this topic. The pass rate for Steps 1-3 is nearly 100%, and you can retake the exams if you fail at first. If the pass rate is nearly 100%, I call that a relatively low-stakes exam. In contrast, at least 56% of the people who take the MCAT get zero acceptances. The 44% who get at least one acceptance may not get in at their top choice if their MCAT score is good but not great. So let's compare: 95% to 98% first-time pass rate on the USMLE Step exams, plus the opportunity to retake the test, versus a 44% "pass rate" on the MCAT even after retakes. The "first-time pass rate" on the MCAT is probably less than 40%, because a fair number of people take the MCAT more than once. I would say the MCAT is higher stakes. "But your USMLE scores will help you get a better residency", you shout. That is true, but the MCAT helps you get into a better med school, and that is highly analogous. Residency does not make the USMLE exams higher stakes than the MCAT. I would argue that getting a bad MCAT score and then not being a doctor of any kind makes the MCAT higher stakes than the USMLE exams. Almost 100% of med school graduates match to a residency, but only 44% of med school applicants get accepted.

With 6 hours and 15 minutes of material, 7 hours of "seat time", and an 8 to 10-hour test day overall, the MCAT 2015 is basically torture. Thankfully I already took the MCAT and got a decent score.

The USMLE Step exams do involve 8-hour testing days, but they do not include as much extra stuff. The MCAT has all this other time-consuming crap, like getting your passport checked, and your fingerprints, and the lockers, and waiting to be checked in. An unlucky MCAT taker could easily spend 10 hours at the testing center. That is definitely comparable to the USMLE, with its nominally 8-hour days.
Oh yeah. You make some pretty good points. Thanks! I had not considered expense and stats about the amount of material added.

"basically torture" ~(chuckle) Those sadistic test makers! I'm a glutton for punishment.

As much as I would love to agree with you that the MCAT is higher stakes than future medicine-related standardized tests, I hardly know anyone who claims Step 1 to be lower stakes than the MCAT. If you're not interested at all in any particular speciality and are okay with any residency, then sure Step 1 could be considered to be lower stakes. However, if you have even an inkling of desire to check out a particular specialty, you better bet your butt that step 1 is higher stakes.

so how does a raw score get converted to a scaled score?

is it just a matter of grouping raw scores into percentiles, and then assigning those percentiles "scaled scores"?

are these conversions made public?

the only thing i could find is scaled scores to percentiles, but nothing about raw scores to scaled scores.

Last edited:
so how does a raw score get converted to a scaled score?

is it just a matter of grouping raw scores into percentiles, and then assigning those percentiles "scaled scores"?

are these conversions made public?

the only thing i could find is scaled scores to percentiles, but nothing about raw scores to scaled scores.

Bump,

After Doing more research I can't find a single piece of information how to convert raw score to scaled score? Only AAMC knows what raw score = what percentile? Seems like this should be public info.

I now wonder if factors other than raw score can Also go into calculating the scaled score/percentiles. Like how much time is left over when finishing a section?

If a very large number of students all got the same raw score, they would have to be distinguished amonst in the scaled score somehow right?

Last edited:
Bump,

After Doing more research I can't find a single piece of information how to convert raw score to scaled score? Only AAMC knows what raw score = what percentile? Seems like this should be public info.

I now wonder if factors other than raw score can Also go into calculating the scaled score/percentiles. Like how much time is left over when finishing a section?

If a very large number of students all got the same raw score, they would have to be distinguished amonst in the scaled score somehow right?

The raw to scaled score conversions aren't out yet because the new practice test has yet to be made available, and there's no standard formula for the conversion, anyhow. It differs based on the test.

People with the same raw score will have the same scaled score--not sure why you would assume otherwise.

I recommend reading this blog post:
http://premedfaq.com/mcat-curved/

There should be sufficient data to make a conversion chart from the 45-point scale to the 528-point scale using actual percentiles and not pure speculation, as was done in the tables above. I fully appreciate the tables above, speculation was the only thing possible at the time.

That said, can we get new conversion tables based on real percentiles? I could probably do this myself, but I am not sure.

Thanks.

Find the new scoring system strange. Why can't they just score it out of 60?
One of the posts above addresses this. The AAMC officially answered this question:

1. Scoring out of 60 would cause confusion, because scores from 4 to 45 would be valid under both tests. They really want to avoid that. They want the test version to be obvious from the total scales score and each section score.

2. Why not do 44 to 100? That is the same number of possible scores as the 500-point system. The problem is, according to the AAMC, people will confuse the score with a percentage score. You got a 90? That sounds like 90%. No, no. It is more like 35 on the old MCAT, what is 35? Confusion.

I do not agree with the AAMC. I strongly believe they should have used a 60-point maximum, not this 500-point middle. Keep the section scores 1 to 15, because that's exactly what they are. People will not be confused by section scores, the sections have new names.

Here's an idea: why not abandon scaled scores and just report the scores in terms of percentiles?
There are two problems with that:

1. For a ton of people, their scores will be like 27th percentile, and they will just feel bad. A slightly more opaque number is good for the people with low scores, just psychologically.

2. On the other end of the spectrum are the elite med schools, which would be forced to compare candidates with scores of 99.9th, 99.5th, and 99th. What if you see 98.9th? What if you see just the last .9 and think it said 99.9? Big, big difference. It is nice to spread out the numbers, which is what IQ scores do. IQ scores are traditionally 15 points per standard deviation, not some fixed number of points per percentile. In many respects, the difference between 99th and 99.9th percentile is larger than the difference between 50th and 60th, so the scale is hugely uneven.

Can anyone explain to me why 510 is the new 30?

I would think that 4 sections x 127 (being the equivalent of the old 10) = 508