MCAT ADVICE needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureNYMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay so here is where I stand.

Sophomore, GPA - 3.5
Prereq courses: everything except ORGO II, PHY I and II. Orgo II and PHY I will be taken this upcomming semester. I plan to take PHY II over the summer.

I want to know whether or not it's a good idea to go ahead and take the MCAT this upcomming august (last paper mcat). I'm only a sophomore but in my head, it seems to make more sense to take it as soon as possible while most of the information is still fresh. I already signed up to take Kaplan's over the summer. (but it can be cancelled anytime)

Is there anything I maybe overlooking? Is it better to wait till April?

I would really really appreciate any input from the Mcat gurus in this forum.

Members don't see this ad.

No one can really tell you what is right for you, it depends on your comfort level, but your hypo-situation sounds good to me. As long as during the summer you make sure to really brush up on all the other areas, especially bio - since the mcat has been heavy bio recently.

The test really measures comprehension, so make sure you also fit in some practice tests to see how you do. You may need to take the kaplan course, although that's not for everyone, I didn't need it. Good luck.

if by PHY you mean physics, definitely do NOT take it yet. you need that under your belt, it is a big part of the MCAT. besides, you will have to review EVERYTHING again anyway and if you've learned it once before, it will come back to you, no matter how long ago it was (2 years is NOT that long) good luck.
-mota

Just remember that the scores are only active for 3 years. Other than that, take it if you feel you are as ready as you will be during undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
August after your sophomore year is a good move IMO. I wish I had done that.

Go for it and good luck!

DaMota said:
if by PHY you mean physics, definitely do NOT take it yet. you need that under your belt, it is a big part of the MCAT. besides, you will have to review EVERYTHING again anyway and if you've learned it once before, it will come back to you, no matter how long ago it was (2 years is NOT that long) good luck.
-mota

Yes DaMota by PHY, I meant Physics. I don't know if I made it clear, but I will have both physics courses under my belt before taking the mcat. I just don't have them yet. I plan on doing one this semester, and the other over the summer right before the august Mcat.

If for some reason, I am making the incorrect decision here and I end up doing badly on the august Mcat. If this happens, I would need to go back to Kaplan's and retake the MCAT in April with everybody else. Although this isn't my plan, if it does happen, how would Med schools view it. In other words, do med schools look down upon the fact that I had to take the mcat twice or even three times in order to get the score i want?

Thank you all for your help.