MCAT and Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TUHopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently waiting on my April MCAT results, and I'm wondering, of those of you who took the Kaplan course, how many experienced their MCAT scores going up from their best practice test score? The word on the street is most people experience a 1-2 pt. bumb, but I'm looking for some actually testimonials. Damn! Waiting 6-8 wks really sucks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

2 ponts higher than my highest Kaplan full-length, and 2 points lower than my highest AAMC practice exam. Good luck!

34 best score on kaplan practice (13V, 11P, 10B). 37 actual MCAT score!!! (13V, 12P, 12B). thought the actual test was easier than the practices

I think it depends on a lot of things. The higher you score on the practice tests, obviously the less likely you are to improve on the real thing. Also, if you start preparing early and you pretty much plateau before the end of the course, then you aren't going to improve as much as someone who does a lot of their studying in the couple weeks right before the real test. Overall, I thought the scores on the practice tests were pretty indicative; I scored higher on a few and lower on a few, but I think I was ready early on so the differences were probably just due to chance fluctuation. I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that people usually go up from their Kaplan scores though, because I've heard plenty of stories in the other direction.

Members don't see this ad :)
I under all that, but I was just looking for a trend. I don't think it was something Kaplan officially states, but it seemed like several of my instructors readily offered it up as their experience and the experience of most of the people they knew. I'm just trying to find something positive to think about for the next 6-8wks while I wait for my results. I just find it amazing that we're required to fork out $200 bucks to get abused for 8 hrs (not including the months of prep) and then we have to wait that long for the results. I don't know why they can't scan the answer sheets and give us preliminary results online.

TUHopeful said:
I under all that, but I was just looking for a trend. I don't think it was something Kaplan officially states, but it seemed like several of my instructors readily offered it up as their experience and the experience of most of the people they knew. I'm just trying to find something positive to think about for the next 6-8wks while I wait for my results. I just find it amazing that we're required to fork out $200 bucks to get abused for 8 hrs (not including the months of prep) and then we have to wait that long for the results. I don't know why they can't scan the answer sheets and give us preliminary results online.

Yeah I understand what you are asking, you should search for a thread I started a long time ago about Practice Tests vs. Real MCAT April 2004 and you will see a lot of responses from people who took Kaplan if you want to see a trend. I'm just saying that I think if you are equally prepared for the Kaplan tests and the real thing, your score will be pretty similar. If you are more prepared for the real thing because you study after the last Kaplan test, you will probably improve more. I don't think the Kaplan tests give lower scores for the most part.

TUHopeful said:
I'm currently waiting on my April MCAT results, and I'm wondering, of those of you who took the Kaplan course, how many experienced their MCAT scores going up from their best practice test score? The word on the street is most people experience a 1-2 pt. bumb, but I'm looking for some actually testimonials. Damn! Waiting 6-8 wks really sucks!!!

My actual score was 1 point higher than the highest on the Kaplan practice test.
Good luck! :luck:

I bet Kaplan intentially makes their tests harder so that you walk out of the test feeling satisfied with your score. It also serves the purpose of making you study harder if you don't think you're doing as well, an approach I assume is prevalent in most test prep courses.

Any similar experiences with TPR or TBR?

I know a person who never got higher than a 26 on kaplan, and then got a 32 on the real thing. So hey, it could happen.