MCAT and Learning Disabilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I will be taking the new MCAT soon, but have some questions. I have Asperger's Syndrome and have received accommodations from my university on exams (such as my own room in which to test, and time and a half). I was wondering what kind of accommodations, if any, I would be eligible to receive on the MCAT. I have all of my documents from my physicians and tests that I took in a folder in my home office. Therefore, I can provide documentation, if necessary. The reason I receive extra time on exams is due to the fact that it takes my mind longer to process information; my own room is mainly due to having other people in my field of vision, which can be overwhelming. This is why I always pick a seat in lecture that's at the front of the class.

Honestly, I feel sort of embarrassed asking this. I really don't want to be a burden on people, but my mind just operates differently. Asperger's Syndrome is something that I've had my entire lifetime and it has, occasionally, got in the way of learning properly. Special services have really helped me excel in undergrad. I just wish I could get through a test without needing accommodations like "regular" students. I apologize in advance for the lengthy message. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, littlebear92, for the information! Couldn't find it on the AAMC website, when I first tried. Much appreciated :).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it takes an arm and a leg to get accommodations. I have had ADHD since I was 8 years old. I too have had accommodations all my life, throughout elementary school, middle school, high school, college, even on the ACT. I applied for accommodations giving them everything they asked, including a full on psychological evaluation, my psychiatric medical history throughout my ENTIRE life, letters that were sent home from teachers when I was in elementary school, and SO so much more. I asked for extended time IF POSSIBLE but if not, then AT LEAST to be seated like in the very back of the room. Their response? No to both because my IQ was too high and I performed to well academically. As if they were saying I cannot be intelligent AND have ADHD.

I understand not giving me extended time, but they couldn't even give me a reduced distraction environment (their headphones don't do it for me, and people walking around distracts me). This ended up screwing me over on my first try because people were constantly walking in and out. So good luck trying to get accommodations, but don't get your hopes up.

When I took the MCAT for the second time, I called the testing center ahead of time and requested to be seated in a back corner as far away from the door as possible. Thankfully they were able to accommodate that request. So maybe try doing that instead. Best of luck!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it takes an arm and a leg to get accommodations. I have had ADHD since I was 8 years old. I too have had accommodations all my life, throughout elementary school, middle school, high school, college, even on the ACT. I applied for accommodations giving them everything they asked, including a full on psychological evaluation, my psychiatric medical history throughout my ENTIRE life, letters that were sent home from teachers when I was in elementary school, and SO so much more. I asked for extended time IF POSSIBLE but if not, then AT LEAST to be seated like in the very back of the room. Their response? No to both because my IQ was too high and I performed to well academically. As if they were saying I cannot be intelligent AND have ADHD.

I understand not giving me extended time, but they couldn't even give me a reduced distraction environment (their headphones don't do it for me, and people walking around distracts me). This ended up screwing me over on my first try because people were constantly walking in and out. So good luck trying to get accommodations, but don't get your hopes up.

When I took the MCAT for the second time, I called the testing center ahead of time and requested to be seated in a back corner as far away from the door as possible. Thankfully they were able to accommodate that request. So maybe try doing that instead. Best of luck!

I'm so sorry to hear that you couldn't get any accommodations on your first try. I still intend on applying for accommodations, but your post has made me nervous, I must say. I, too, am very sensitive to noise and other people in my field of vision. Heck, even just studying in the library can be a chore sometimes. If I were not given any accommodations during the MCAT, I don't know how I would get through it. I need to bring headphones and sunglasses with me into the library when I study to cancel out the noise and visual distractions. Forgive me for being direct, but I'm curious to know what your IQ score is. Mine was last tested in 2012 to be 130.

I'm so sorry to hear that you couldn't get any accommodations on your first try. I still intend on applying for accommodations, but your post has made me nervous, I must say. I, too, am very sensitive to noise and other people in my field of vision. Heck, even just studying in the library can be a chore sometimes. If I were not given any accommodations during the MCAT, I don't know how I would get through it. I need to bring headphones and sunglasses with me into the library when I study to cancel out the noise and visual distractions. Forgive me for being direct, but I'm curious to know what your IQ score is. Mine was last tested in 2012 to be 130.
Hey, PM me. My IQ was 120, and I got accommodations for a learning disability. Need to have reams of information, but it is doable.