MCAT Automatic Timer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anisidi1985

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Taking my exam in a few days and wanted to know - does the timer for the next section start automatically as soon as the timer for the break stops? The reason I ask is because on the practice exams you press "next" to start the new section and the timer only starts then. Is that the case for the real mcat? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe after the timer stops it sends you to an info page for the next section but with no timer.

Perfect - can anyone else confirm this? That the timer doesn't start until you hit "next" on the info page for that section? Thanks!

Confirm. Timer does not start automatically. Don't abuse this though because the testing center can void your exam if you compromise its integrity.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Confirm. Timer does not start automatically. Don't abuse this though because the testing center can void your exam if you compromise its integrity.

This.

It's made like this so a busy testing center won't harm a student. You'll have to get checked everytime you re-enter the room so if there's a line, you may miss the end of the timer.

Testing centers aren't stupid though. If a proctor realizes you're taking excessive breaks, they will and can report you to AAMC. Your exam can be reported with an asterisk for abnormal testing conditions or voided completely.

It's not worth it.

Oh gosh - definitely not asking for that purpose, was just confirming for that reason, if there is a line, security is taking a long time, etc i won't lose those precious 2 mins. Would not abuse it.

Oh gosh - definitely not asking for that purpose, was just confirming for that reason, if there is a line, security is taking a long time, etc i won't lose those precious 2 mins. Would not abuse it.

I don't think I or anyone else thought you would abuse it.. just pointing out a really important part of the equation that could equate to disaster on test day if you're not careful enough.

You should still plan to get back a minute or two early. I thought it was beneficial for me to sit down and chill a little bit before hitting the button to start the next portion.. and I'm not sure the proctors like someone just sitting on the start screen, so be sure not to take too much extra time.

reminds me of a hysterical yet horrible situation someone was in on my test day. on the first screen, you are asked to confirm your identity. It's a simple yes/no question. Don't hit no. Someone did accidentally and they weren't able to take the test that day because of it.

Omg lol that sounds awful! thanks for the warning. Will be reading everything EXTRA carefully that day.