MCAT - Books for in-depth review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mitl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will start preparing for the MCAT soon and I am looking for material that covers only what is on the MCAT but I want it to be in-depth and not just review.

What would you guys suggest

TPR (Im kind of leaning towards TPR) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375427945/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER <---This series
Kaplan
BR
EK

for Bio/Phy/Chem/OChem/Verbal

What do you guys think ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I will start preparing for the MCAT soon and I am looking for material that covers only what is on the MCAT but I want it to be in-depth and not just review.

What would you guys suggest

TPR (Im kind of leaning towards TPR) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375427945/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER <---This series
Kaplan
BR
EK

for Bio/Phy/Chem/OChem/Verbal

What do you guys think ?

TPR has nearly everything you need to know and more. Their science work book is sufficient and a great source for practice. I would definetly recommend TPR. The only bad thing I have to say about TPR (using 2008 edition), is that there's an abundance of calculation errors in both Physics and General Chem examples to the point where you start questioning if the answer is really wrong or right. But hopefully more recent editions have spotted and fixed this problems.

One thing to note: DO NOT make the mistake I made of utilizing multiple materials. Stick to one source and one only. I bought the whole collection, TBR, TPR, and EK and while each had it's pros and cons, TPR is the middle ground so for me that would be my recommendation. Timing is especially important when preparing for the MCAT. A 40+ is definitely attainable despite what people think, but the real challenge is learning under timed constraints. Time is the biggest factor in prepping for the MCAT. Make sure you create a schedule and stick to it.

If by some chance you have more than 3 months to prepare for the MCAT and really want to boost your score then and only then I would recommend getting TBR books for passages only not content review (if you have the money to spare. Gen. Chem & Physics are most the most useful in my opinion). (Their content definitely goes too far into detail which trust me, is more hurtful than helpful. Remember so many minor details is not an efficient way to study for the MCAT).

I'd get the Hyperlearning Series not the one they sell on Amazon. You can find the TPRH set somewhere on Student Doc Classifieds.

TPR has nearly everything you need to know and more.

Just to be clear ilovemcat - you're talking about the TPR Hyperlearning series, which you get in the course (or used around the internet, like I did), not the TPR review books that the OP linked to above, correct? I say that because you mentioned the Science workbook, which I believe is from the Hyperlearning series. Just curious.

And I strongly disagree with this, just based on the number of 40+ applicants who AAMC says exist. Without inherent test taking skill (or inate intelligience, particularly reading comprehension, if you will) you'll never get that kind of score. Memorize the TPR series or not.
A 40+ is definitely attainable despite what people think...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks !!

I will look for TPRH...

Well here's my strategy I will spend the next 4 months studying for the MCAT if I can get my score in upper 30's (38~39) I will get more practice material and power through, if I am stuck in lower 30's I will take Kaplan/TPR classes in January and work on that.

I want to be done with all content review in the next few months and then just focus on the test taking and timing aspect

But I am just not looking for shortcuts I want to spend 6+ months studying and practicing for the MCAT and in that time I would like to study in depth

My aim is def a 40+ (But I do realize anything over a 36 and theres some luck involved)

Thanks ilovemcat !

Thanks Pons Asinorum

I got TRPH 2010 the complete complete set

The MCAT clocks started ticking :scared:

...just based on the number of 40+ applicants who AAMC says exist. Without inherent test taking skill (or inate intelligience, particularly reading comprehension, if you will) you'll never get that kind of score.

This is so 100% true. More than anything, you have to understand what they are asking in the questions. I think the biggest mistake people make is absorbing information and thinking that this is preparing them. You have to know some information, but more importantly you need to know how to apply it. Their questions are not always clear, and only with good intuition and reading skills can you get the meaning of what they're asking. This is why I think people should rate MCAT materials by (1) their answer explanations to their practice questions and (2) the number of examples they present in their books that either mix multiple topics or look at things in a slightly atypical way.

...I would recommend getting TBR books for passages only not content review (if you have the money to spare. Gen. Chem & Physics are most the most useful in my opinion). (Their content definitely goes too far into detail which trust me, is more hurtful than helpful. Remember so many minor details is not an efficient way to study for the MCAT).

I disagree with your assessment here. I want to say this as respectfully as possible, but your experience with one exam does not necessarily represent the general MCAT experience. Everyone has a unique experience. IMO, the strength of the BR content review in the physical sciences is the many test strategies. The physics book is pretty much a how to answer questions book. The text sections in gen chem and physics are more questions and explanations than actual text. There just isn't that much in the ways of deatils; it's tons of examples and question. The math tricks alone are good for a a point or two climb. If you know how to use their books the right way, they are the best thing out there.

The fact is that every MCAT is different, so you need to prepare for everything. It's impossible to have a universal plan. For instance, if I were to base my entire study suggestions on my MCAT, then I would tell everyone to study genetics experiments in detail, ignore physiology except for the kidney (and know that in detail), undertsand PCR, memorize all the carbonyl reactions you can find, know your optics equations, undertsand all of the trick magnetism examples you can get your hands on, don't worry about torque, be good with galvanic cells and voltage, and memorize titration curves to the tiniest detail. My advice would be about as useful as telling someone to pick mostly odd numbers when playing the state lottery, because the time I played had almost all odd numbers.

Everyone has their own experience and opinion; I just wanted to toss mine out there to balance yours.

The books the OP linked to amazon are actually they hyperlearning series, just a different name, same content (compared with the 2008 hyperlearning books i have), plus it's in color and seem to have a little more content than my 2008 version. The bio book has the same footnotes and diagrams as the hyperlarning, the gen chem is the same. Only difference is that it has passage based questions at the end of each chapter along with some discretes. They hyperlearning doesn't have end of chapter questions, instead there's the science workbook.

If you're going to spend $250+ on ebay buying the hyperlearning books, i suggest you buy these from amazon. Then maybe buy the science workbook used.

The books the OP linked to amazon are actually they hyperlearning series, just a different name, same content (compared with the 2008 hyperlearning books i have), plus it's in color and seem to have a little more content than my 2008 version. The bio book has the same footnotes and diagrams as the hyperlarning, the gen chem is the same. Only difference is that it has passage based questions at the end of each chapter along with some discretes. They hyperlearning doesn't have end of chapter questions, instead there's the science workbook.

If you're going to spend $250+ on ebay buying the hyperlearning books, i suggest you buy these from amazon. Then maybe buy the science workbook used.

these books are the new review books that just came out. my class is one of the first ones to use them. they're pretty nice