mcat books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pilotony

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to take the spring 06 mcat. I need to brush up on the physics and verbal. it's been 7 yrs that i took physics class. i was thinking to study the topics that is cover in the physical using a physics textbook? or should i study from examkrackers or kaplan books... any suggestion on which way to study or any other good books???

Members don't see this ad.

pilotony said:
I'm planning to take the spring 06 mcat. I need to brush up on the physics and verbal. it's been 7 yrs that i took physics class. i was thinking to study the topics that is cover in the physical using a physics textbook? or should i study from examkrackers or kaplan books... any suggestion on which way to study or any other good books???
Spring 2006? Do you mean you're starting to study for the MCAT in three weeks? :eek: Hopefully you mean 2007.

Either way, Physics textbooks are WAY too in-depth for the Beast. Stick with EK or Kaplan. Good luck.

NapeSpikes said:
Spring 2006? Do you mean you're starting to study for the MCAT in three weeks? :eek: Hopefully you mean 2007.

Either way, Physics textbooks are WAY too in-depth for the Beast. Stick with EK or Kaplan. Good luck.

sorry, i mean spring 2007

Members don't see this ad :)
I just taught myself Physics and Gchem and I can tell you that you will probably need textbooks in order to clarify the topics in the review books. You are basically having to learn the subject over again so a review book by itself will not do it. Don't use the textbooks by themselves, you need a good review book to keep you on the right track. Just read over any sections you don't understand in the real text when something doesn't make sense.

remo said:
I just taught myself Physics and Gchem and I can tell you that you will probably need textbooks in order to clarify the topics in the review books. You are basically having to learn the subject over again so a review book by itself will not do it. Don't use the textbooks by themselves, you need a good review book to keep you on the right track. Just read over any sections you don't understand in the real text when something doesn't make sense.

thanks for your advice, i forgot everything about physics, which book do you recommend, i'm planning to buy both books exam kracker and kaplan mcat 45 and sign up for the kaplan or princeton review class on jan 07.

pilotony said:
thanks for your advice, i forgot everything about physics, which book do you recommend, i'm planning to buy both books exam kracker and kaplan mcat 45 and sign up for the kaplan or princeton review class on jan 07.

You have a year so if you have the time and money then go re-take the physics classes. It will help your gpa and you will know the info better than you can expect to learn it on your own. Otherwise, just do the Kaplan class. Their review material is awesome and unless you work 3-4 hours a day for 3-4 months you will never finish it all. I have the EK books too and I really haven't used them. They are OK but their physics book is not very good. You might get the EK 1001 books. I like those because they are just stand-alone questions that help you nail down the science. In my humble opinion the "critical thinking" part of the MCAT is way overblown. You need to have the science down cold or you have no chance. You will hear people say that someone got A+'s in all the pre-reqs and knew all the science but couldn't break a 25 on the MCAT because their critical thinking skills aren't good. If that is the case it is 1 in a 1,000,000. Many of the questions can be answered without even reading the passage. My suggestion is that you should start at the beginning and slowly work you way through and do as many practice questions as possible until you know the science like the back of your hand. By the time you do the 5 Kaplan full-length exams you will have all the critical thinking practice you can stomach. Good luck!

remo said:
You have a year so if you have the time and money then go re-take the physics classes. It will help your gpa and you will know the info better than you can expect to learn it on your own. Otherwise, just do the Kaplan class. Their review material is awesome and unless you work 3-4 hours a day for 3-4 months you will never finish it all. I have the EK books too and I really haven't used them. They are OK but their physics book is not very good. You might get the EK 1001 books. I like those because they are just stand-alone questions that help you nail down the science. In my humble opinion the "critical thinking" part of the MCAT is way overblown. You need to have the science down cold or you have no chance. You will hear people say that someone got A+'s in all the pre-reqs and knew all the science but couldn't break a 25 on the MCAT because their critical thinking skills aren't good. If that is the case it is 1 in a 1,000,000. Many of the questions can be answered without even reading the passage. My suggestion is that you should start at the beginning and slowly work you way through and do as many practice questions as possible until you know the science like the back of your hand. By the time you do the 5 Kaplan full-length exams you will have all the critical thinking practice you can stomach. Good luck!

Hi there. I would recommend buying the physics textbook, Physics: Principles with Applications by Douglas Giancoli. This is a well written book that covers everything. I am currently taking physics at HES and this is the book we use.

I would seriously consider Kaplan, the practice tests are invaluable.

remo said:

thanks for your detail reply,
actually I was seating down in a physics one class for the topics that is cover in the physical part. the teacher was ok, but he was just doing textbook exercise question which i can study by myself.. plus i don't get to study since i don't have the take the exam. actually don't really have the same also.. working plus taking chem 2, and bio 2.. since i have the physics book, i'm just planning to study the topics that is on the mcat plus use kaplan and ek for reference.. thanks again for your help.. did u take your mcat.. applied?