MCAT burn out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sammy1024

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been studying for the MCAT since October and today while taking a practice test I just did NOT feel like taking it. I felt like as I was taking it I was trying to push dead weight. I was wondering if anyone else has gotten that feeling?

Last week it was okay I didn't feel that way, but this week I just had such a difficult time. I was reading the material on the screen but it wasn't really comprehending. It was like I was just staring at the screen.

I was wondering if anyone has suggestion to get over this?

Members don't see this ad.

A break. A real break, in which you totally forget about the MCAT. What would you rather be doing rather than studying? Go do that. If you just want to watch Netflix, make it a thing. Get your most comfy pillow, your favourite snacks, etc. If you want to work out, go get yourself a new workout bottle and load up your phone with the latest and greatest songs. You get the idea. You will eventually feel like studying again. This happened to me and it took a week to get back to normal.

Thanks so much! I think something that adds to this feeling is that the test is so long, so it's like here we go again, taking that 4 hour test in a week, again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I get that way, but sometimes it's good to unplug and take a break. Exercise helps a TON, it's a great head clearer.

I've been studying forever because i feel like I have the worst test taking skills. I tend to get nervous and do poorly so I just keep studying and studying! :[

How do you score so high? A lot of practice questions? Do you do content review each week?

I am retaking a 26 from last July. Though I didn't study much at all that first time.

I use TPR for both content review and passages.

Like, I don't know if i'm going about it the wrong way, but when I did content review, I took notes on binder paper and then every week I read through all of them. Is that the wrong way to go about this? Some people say use flashcards and some say keep a notebook of missed questions, but I don't know what would be the most helpful.

Like, I don't know if i'm going about it the wrong way, but when I did content review, I took notes on binder paper and then every week I read through all of them. Is that the wrong way to go about this? Some people say use flashcards and some say keep a notebook of missed questions, but I don't know what would be the most helpful.

Have you done any practice passages? Since your exam isn't until another 2-3 months, I wouldn't worry much at all!

If you want to know your progress, then take one AAMC and see where you are at. Otherwise, just keep on studying content and doing passages concurringly.

And I never write things down/use flashcards. I just read the book many times and most things have already sunk in. I am a bit behind in organic chemistry, so I need to get on that.

I've taken a couple, i was planning on taking my test in January 2014 but pushed it. Now it's in May. on the AAMC tests i've been scoring at 23 and then Kaplan ones, I started at 16 and went up to 29 but i've only gotten to 29 once so far.