MCAT issue with acceptable GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captgreg87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I know this has probably been brought up a 1,000+ times, but I have done a ton of reading on different posts throughout this forum and I just thought I would end up posting my own. I would really appreciate any insight on if anyone knows of someone in my same situation.

I have taken my MCAT a few times now, the time before this one I scored a 23, which I know I could have done better on. However, in this last instance I went down to a 19, and I will be honest, I blame much of this on the fact something had a major disagreement with my stomach and I pretty much almost ran out without finishing the first section......ya wasn't my finest moment.

However, I am curious with an above average GPA, a very high GPA with a MPH degree and good EC's, I am curious on what would my chances be that schools will factor those stats in more heavily and see my other score was slightly higher. My two main schools are Kent and Scholl, which I will applying to first thing once the cycle opens. I am also 27 and most likely considered a more "nontraditional" student.

Any insight or hard truths will be much appreciated. I am just hoping schools will give me the opportunity for an interview so I can show my true self and a seat in their class.

Thanks Everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I know this has probably been brought up a 1,000+ times, but I have done a ton of reading on different posts throughout this forum and I just thought I would end up posting my own. I would really appreciate any insight on if anyone knows of someone in my same situation.

I have taken my MCAT a few times now, the time before this one I scored a 23, which I know I could have done better on. However, in this last instance I went down to a 19, and I will be honest, I blame much of this on the fact something had a major disagreement with my stomach and I pretty much almost ran out without finishing the first section......ya wasn't my finest moment.

However, I am curious with an above average GPA, a very high GPA with a MPH degree and good EC's, I am curious on what would my chances be that schools will factor those stats in more heavily and see my other score was slightly higher. My two main schools are Kent and Scholl, which I will applying to first thing once the cycle opens. I am also 27 and most likely considered a more "nontraditional" student.

Any insight or hard truths will be much appreciated. I am just hoping schools will give me the opportunity for an interview so I can show my true self and a seat in their class.

Thanks Everyone!
Most schools will take the higher of the two MCAT scores. Without knowing the specifics of your GPA, I feel that you have a pretty good shot of gaining admissions to most of the schools. Your masters will definitely be in your favor. As far as Kent and Scholl are concerned, you will most likely gain admissions to both schools as long as your GPA is above a 3.0 in both science and undergrad respectively. Even if your GPA was slightly lower than a 3.0 in either one of these categories, you would have a decent shot, since these are larger schools. I hope this helps.

Most schools will take the higher of the two MCAT scores. Without knowing the specifics of your GPA, I feel that you have a pretty good shot of gaining admissions to most of the schools. Your masters will definitely be in your favor. As far as Kent and Scholl are concerned, you will most likely gain admissions to both schools as long as your GPA is above a 3.0 in both science and undergrad respectively. Even if your GPA was slightly lower than a 3.0 in either one of these categories, you would have a decent shot, since these are larger schools. I hope this helps.

First of all thanks for the response, at least that gives me some glimmer of hope. My overall undergrad GPA is 3.47, science is 3.25 and my masters is a 3.87, so I am hoping that will really outweigh my MCAT score. A lot of what I have been reading is that many students believe a lower MCAT score is almost destined for failure within school, especially boards, I think I can only believe that to an extent.

Any advice on the admissions cycle? From what I have been reading, earlier is crucial just like any of the other medical schools.

Thanks Again

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine for either of those schools as long as you apply early. As far as advice...basically don't act a fool on your interview day. Everyone has their own belief system on how much MCAT and GPA weigh. I personally think GPA matters more but that doesn't mean a MCAT score of 16 is good either. Anyways, best of luck.

First of all thanks for the response, at least that gives me some glimmer of hope. My overall undergrad GPA is 3.47, science is 3.25 and my masters is a 3.87, so I am hoping that will really outweigh my MCAT score. A lot of what I have been reading is that many students believe a lower MCAT score is almost destined for failure within school, especially boards, I think I can only believe that to an extent.

Any advice on the admissions cycle? From what I have been reading, earlier is crucial just like any of the other medical schools.

Thanks Again
The MCAT is not the end all, be all when it comes to medicine. There are those that score very high and fail out of medical school and other that don't score as high and do very well in medical school. The MCAT is a crappy indicator of what type of doctor you will be. Also applying early in the admission cycle is important, especially if your statistics are low. Because the schools you are applying to are very large, an early application is not as serious as applying to a smaller school such as DMU or CSPM. The podiatry school application cycle is open for 9 months. Spots start to fill up in the smaller schools around February-March. The larger schools usually have spots very late in the application cycle. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Well that's great to hear, and thank you to the both of you for at least calming my nerves for a little while longer. I will be patiently waiting till the first day of the cycle to open.

Do either of you know when you can begin working on your application before the new submission date in August? I know for osteopathic schools they will reset everything past a certain date and you will have to either copy your old app or reenter all the data for the next cycle.

Thanks