MCAT needed with my GPA? Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopfeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats,

gpa breakdown:

non-sci gpa for last 2 years: 3.66.
sci-gpa for last 2 years: 3.57
cum gpa for last 2 years: 3.59

non-sci gpa for last 3 years: 3.8.
sci-gpa for last 3 years: 3.61
cum-gpa for last 3 years: 3.769

cum non-science gpa: 3.75.
cum-sci gpa: 3.5.
cum-gpa: 3.57.

Any suggestions would be helpful. What MCAT score would I need to have a reasonable chance of admittance. I am probably going to get a masters before I apply so GPA will be higher.

Thanks
Hopeful

Members don't see this ad.

I am probably going to get a masters before I apply so GPA will be higher.
Master's grades are not included in the gpa used to evaluate MD candidates.
An MCAT at or above the median at your state school(s) is usually good as long as the rest of the application is up to expectations. This works in most states (not CA).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/factstable5.pdf

To go off what was said above this table does a good job summarizing what you face being in a particular state. Note for all this talk about applying broadly and what not, at many many states the majority of successful applicants still end up staying IS, even for many states with only one state program.

In general, the median MCAT at many many state programs will be in the 30-32 range. Some states you'll have a program where this could dip as low as 28. Some states, the state program's median MCAT has snuck all the way up to 33.

But in general I would say a 510+ score is fair to aim for in your shoes. But again, check your specific state and see how "lucky" it is. As a very rough general rule, I would consider any state where 40+% of their applicants matriculate IS to be pretty damn lucky. Any states that's above 30% is also a pretty solid state to be in. Any state below 20% and the odds might not be as much in your favor/the MCAT score you might want to aim for could easily be above 510.

Reactions: 2 users