mcat/post-bac question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZOMB=)

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just got my august 05 mcat score and unfortunately it was only a 23-O. :( ..
first off, i have always planned on doing a post bac/SMP before applying to medical school (overall gpa 3.5, bcpm 3.0) but all the research i did on the schools like Gtown, BU, Drexel said they require around a 26-27 on the mcat to apply to their programs (so i guess i cant apply to these anymore right???)...is my 23 good enough for any lesser known programs maybe?? i have only found EVMS which state they require a 23 minimum to apply (which i just barely made) plus probably they are not looking for poeple who just met the MINIMUM mcat requirement

not sure about RFU-AP minimum mcat--does anyone know?

also, assuming i get accepted at some school with my 23 and do really well in their program (like say 3.5 gpa overall in it) do you think i will still need to retake the mcat or will high post/bac gpa be good enough to get accepted without a higher mcat

it was my first time taking the mcat but i seem to choke on all standardized tests and was hoping of not having to study another 6 months like i did for it all over again

thanx

Members don't see this ad.

The problem with advisors is they rarely answer your questions. I went through undergrad part-time, had a 3.81 GPA overall, 3.9 in sciences and still needed the Post-Bacc program. These programs are a back door in... kind of. You get the nod from the med school (if these is an affiliation with one) when you're accepted. They say, "You're the type of person we like". ---> Now go get good science grades and a 29 on the MCAT and we'll take you.

Going from 23 --> 29 is huge. And don't think going to classes in Post-Bacc programs will raise you up on the MCAT. These programs usually require 16 hours/semester minimum of SCIENCE coursework with labs (each lab can be another class worth of work). Don't look to any underclassmen to gauge your studies, myself and the people I studied with got 4.0 in every class with 16 hrs/semester, and had enough bonus points to push their final grades over 100% (I had a 105% in Orgo, 106% in Bio, etc...) That actually helps cut down on the EXTRA KAPLAN STUDY time you NEED to put in EACH day.

LIFE STYLE CHANGES: People who THINK they want to go to med school often fail to realize what that means in terms of time commitment. Med students have more free time than residents and Attendings often work as much or close to as much as residents.

168 hrs in the week: - 8 hrs/day sleep = 112 hrs/wk - 16 hrs of in class time = 96 hrs/wk - 2 hrs/day to eat and bath = 82 hrs/wk

(80hr/wk is what residents work) How is that possible? Medicine is their life, nothing else takes priority. First sleep, then eat/bath (please bath), then if you're really good sneak in time to exercise, then spend EVERY LAST minute moving from one course to the next TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS.

READ A CHAPTER of BIO, Then ORGO, Then SOMETHING ELSE, when you need a break DO KAPLAN PRACTICE QUESTIONS.

Socialize with other Post-Baccs on Saturday night after 8PM because you're doing KAPLAN questions for 3 hours after dinner and you knocked out all your lab reports during the morning and afternoon that day.

This is the road Post-Baccs take, because they never hit it like that as undergrads, but do have that capacity. This is the ROAD to US Allopathic Medical Schools.

Option B: Go DO or FMG and work less to get in, face the stigma associated with not being and US grad of an allopathic school, but make nearly as much and be able to work in 75% of the hospitals and practices in the US.

I see how you feel.
I was thinking about not taking the Aug '05 exam at all. I was about to call in for a refund but after spending an entire day doing extensive research on PB program reqs, I decided to go ahead and take the exam. Hoping to pull off a grade good enough to get me in.
I ended up with a 26. Which is an okay, dare I say "good" grade. I wanted to get a 30+ but knew my pratice range was only 21-27 so I guess it turned out okay. But unlike you, who at least has a good gpa, my gpa at the moment is 2.8. I really had my eyes on Gtown too and while the mcat score is something I may be able to work with, the gpa isn't. To be honest, I should have scored a much higher grade on the MCAT with my poor gpa and I'm pretty sorry for it. But there are other programs with lower MCAT cut off points too. I remember one that requested above a 22.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats the name of these programs? <22?

I got a 26Q this mcat...hoping to get into some SMP in the country. GPA is 3.7. Any help?

Monitor said:
168 hrs in the week: - 8 hrs/day sleep = 112 hrs/wk - 16 hrs of in class time = 96 hrs/wk - 2 hrs/day to eat and bath = 82 hrs/wk

(80hr/wk is what residents work) How is that possible?

That's your problem right there. Everybody knows that pre-meds/residents aren't allowed to sleep.

Seriously though, everything you have said is right on the money.

Not that i have a 23, but its a good question. Are there any SMPs for people with lower mcat scores, like a 23?

NRAI2001 said:
Not that i have a 23, but its a good question. Are there any SMPs for people with lower mcat scores, like a 23?

correct me if im wrong but maybe UMDNJ? I dont think their MCAT requirements are quite as high.