MCAT Prep Course Value

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Groggs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the consensus on the usefulness of MCAT prep courses (Kaplan, Princeton Review, etc.)? I have the financial ability and time to do a course if I choose to do so, but I am curious as to if my money would be better used purchasing additional materials from a variety of companies rather than putting all my money into a course by one company. My goal is a 518+. Is it necessary to complete an MCAT course if shooting for top scores?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're a strong independent student, it's actually probably unnecessary. If you feel comfortable with self-studying and staying on track, making your own plan will work great. Courses can be really helpful in terms of supplementing your studies in a structured way, but they skim most material so students that enroll in a course expecting to be taught from the ground up are let down.

tldr; Don't feel like you need to do a course to do well, but consider doing one as a learning supplement if money / time are not an issue.

Reactions: 1 user
DO NOT take EXAMKRACKERS prep course! It was a waste of my money! The regional director sent me to three different locations
in N.Y. ! The instructor wrote definitions down on the board and it was literally exactly what was in the book! I thought it was a scam
at first because I couldn't believe how bad the instruction was. They of course did NOT give me my money back $3,000 down the tube.
This was such a waste of time and money! Also, their representatives are SO RUDE!

I would buy some prep books and stick to the AAMC website material.

I would suggest saving your money and studying on your own. My friend and I both performed similarly in Organic Chemistry, and my friend went with a prep company and I decided to study on my own for the MCAT. He scored a 515 and I was able to score a 522. I am sure we both worked equally hard, but I think the difference comes from being able to control your study and being able to use the best resources. Test prep companies will train you using their resources, which includes very few of the official AAMC practice problems (problems written by the people who wrote the MCAT!). During my study I found test prep companies' practice exams and practice questions to be subpar. I feel like they take you off track more than help you. I would suggest making a study plan that uses various resources (AAMC, Khan, Kaplan, Princeton, ExamKrakers). Variety is your friend.

Also, if you feel like you need more structure/someone to guide you through the study process and help you with challenging questions, I would suggest finding a tutor. Test prep companies will charge you outrageous prices for tutoring. If you search around online, you can find better deals on tutors. It is helpful to tutor with someone that performed well on the exam already and can give you peace of mind about your preparation.

Lastly, I enjoyed studying on my own because I was able to make the plan that worked for me. I was able to study from home and study only as much as I could each week (very helpful since I was still taking classes during my exam prep). Best of luck with your preparation!

Last edited: