MCAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YungBrev

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking the MCAT in June, and my GPA is not great. What prep programs do you recommend? I can afford to spend quite a bit of money, but I definitely don't want to waste the money. I need to get a great score on the MCAT to be reasonably competitive because my GPA. Thoughts about Kaplan MCAT advantage? Doing it on your own?

Members don't see this ad.

Normally I recommend doing it on your own, but with the new MCAT, it may be beneficial to take the test. I have always heard people are happier with Princeton Review classes than Kaplan, but I don't know for sure. If you live in an area with Examcrackers, that may be the best way to go. If money is no object, there are also a few private tutors that may work out better.
Have you taken all the pre-reqs for the new MCAT?

i haven't been very impressed in kaplan. the material is eh.. nothing seems fascinating about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a big advocate for getting a book set then doing it on your own (with a schedule). The classes can't be nearly as tailored to your weak spots as a self-generated study plan

Reactions: 1 users
No exam crackers within 5 hours of me :( but I will have to give Princeton Review a look! Thanks!

Read from review books. Examkrackers, The Berkley Review, Princeton Review are the three that are good and enough for the mcat. Buy AAMC practice tests (I am not sure how many they have for the new mcat). Classes are a waste of time. You want acccess to questions. A cheaper way may be to get access to Kaplan Qbank for MCAT without attending any courses. I think they have videos, practice tests, questions. My friend did that and it seemed pretty good and cheaper than their class.

A Kaplan/etc course is great for getting you into the 30-33 range. Above that and especially for 36+, you are going to have to set up your own study schedule that is tailored to your own strengths and weaknesses.

I highly recommend the examkrackers book. I took the test after doing the Kaplan prep course and got a very mediocre score. I spent just a month with Examkrackers (while in class, Kaplan had a couple summer months) and went up 3 points to an alright score.
I can't help but wonder what how I would have done if I focused on Examkrackers from the beginning.

I recommend utilizing some free practice exams so you can get a look at the new exam and how it will be formatted. Some good resources would be e-mcat there is a free exam you could take or purchase for a reasonable fee or you could utilize Altius Test Prep. They have a free exam you could take on their website.