MCAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnnguyen1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone that used the Princeton Review Prep books, what's your opinion on them? I'm currently using them and the online resources but I feel the online exams are on the easier side. Does anyone else feel this way? (This will be my second time taking the MCAT so I don't want to be wasting my time with easy material).

Members don't see this ad.

content wise they are not super useful if you already have a good understanding of most of the subjects. Except for psych and soc, they did a good job there imo. They are very useful for any topics which you forgot entirely or need to relearn since TPR tries to condense all content into bites that are easy to memorize and retain for the exam. For brushing up on a topic, you are better off watching the Khan videos at 2x speed. Use the AAMC checklist to guide your studying.

If where you need to improve is in the test-taking area (pacing, skills, reasoning, passage reading, data interpretation, etc.) then you need to be using the official AAMC materials as much as possible. If you have a lot of time until your test and want to practice with other content, dont use the TPR practice tests. They are nothing like the real exam (I'm sure you already noticed since you said you have already taken the MCAT once).

I used the 2015 complete review from PR as a starting point for my studying. I thought it was a pretty good deal for $68. The practice passages are nothing like the real exam so take those with a grain of salt and supplement with AAMC practice tests and the Kahn Academy videos. Also I didn't take Psych or Soc in undergrad so all my review for that section came from PR, which I thought was covered pretty thoroughly.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone that used the Princeton Review Prep books, what's your opinion on them? I'm currently using them and the online resources but I feel the online exams are on the easier side. Does anyone else feel this way? (This will be my second time taking the MCAT so I don't want to be wasting my time with easy material).

University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Summer 2016 MCAT Review Course

Registration for the Summer 2016 MCAT Review Course opens March 1st!
You can take the course from a distance!

Tuition is only $800 and includes:

· 54 hours of in-class instruction by faculty, post-doctoral fellows, and MD/PhD students

· Unlimited access to the recorded lectures and instructor PowerPoints, which means you don’t need to be on-site for all lectures!

· Pre- and Post-tests, including one official AAMC electronic practice exam!

· Official MCAT 2016 preparation materials supplied by The Princeton Review

· All MCAT content covered: Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, Sociology, and Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills

The Summer 2016 MCAT Review Course begins Saturday, 5/7/2016 and ends Saturday, 6/18/2016. Classes take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-9PM, and Sundays from 12-3PM.

Registration is limited, so sign up today! www.med.uc.edu/MCAT

Email [email protected] if you have any questions!

I personally really loved exam krackers. But beware that their first edition for the psych/soc section is missing a ton of info. Not sure if they've fixed it since.

Hey this is a little off topic, but I am looking for someone who has taken the new MCAT to potentially answer some questions through email. Or even write a guest post for my blog. The blog is all about the process of getting into medical school, and I went through everything as the MCAT changed and took the last available day of the old test. I really want to give my readers the best material and I feel I need some help from people who have actually taken the new test.

Thanks,

Sean
www.pathtomedicine.com