MCAT retake/expiration question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fingerscrossedd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope everyone's having a great weekend! I want to apply next cycle (to matriculate in 2014), and here is my question. I want to apply to DO schools--

I have a 3.4 cGPA from a competitive liberal arts college, 3.2 sGPA, and an MPH from an Ivy League school. I've also been fortunate enough to shadow some really great docs and participate in both clinical and lab research; pretty diverse ECs (from tutoring/oversight committees to being a mother's helper), and I hope that my application will, in the end, be as great as it can be. I received a 26T (9PS, 9VR, 8BS) on my MCAT in August 2011.

By the time I apply, in the spring/summer of 2013, will my MCAT still be valid? (The consensus, I think, is yes) And also, do you think I should retake my MCAT? I keep going back and forth over whether or not to retake it. I know that ultimately, I have to make this decision on my own, but I would really appreciate hearing what people think and any advice you all may have.

Thanks in advance for your help, and enjoy your Saturday!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think your MCAT will have expired by the time you apply. It will be less than 3 years old. You should be able to find this information on school websites under admissions requirements, or just call and ask.

It's up to your whether or not you want to retake the MCAT. You probably have a decent chance at getting in somewhere as it is if you apply smart and broadly, but you have plenty of time to study for a second attempt if you choose to do so. I would definitely be considering it, as you are now. Since your GPA is decent, a higher MCAT wouldn't hurt, as a 26 is on the lower end of average. Good luck!