MCAT retake strategies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fruitloops24

Reaction score
SDNers,

I took my MCAT (5/24) this year and received a score of 506 (130/121/126/129). Was happy with C/P and P/S, and scored lower on the B/B than expected. That CARS bombshell of 121 was obviously the most concerning since I had been scoring 126 on my last few practice exams before my actual MCAT :(.

I really screwed myself by participating in a summer research program so that I didn't have time to re study and retake this August to have another score for this cycle. Unless my state MD schools really show me some love, which is a slim to 0 chance, I'll have to reapply next cycle and probably apply DO as well.

For now I am going to live my life as if I am reapplying next cycle and retaking MCAT. My first goal for my retake is to score at least a 125 on CARS and secondly, raise that B/B to a 128ish. Any suggestions for how to tackle my CARS problems?

For this past MCAT I used Kaplan 7 books , KA for B/B and mainly P/S and all sections banks.

Would it be worthwhile to invest in a complete prep course and/or a CARS course?

I would like to start studying again in September of this fall and schedule my MCAT for March 2019. I would really like to get that CARS up to MD standards and break a composite of 510, if possible.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

SDNers,

I took my MCAT (5/24) this year and received a score of 506 (130/121/126/129). Was happy with C/P and P/S, and scored lower on the B/B than expected. That CARS bombshell of 121 was obviously the most concerning since I had been scoring 126 on my last few practice exams before my actual MCAT :(.

I really screwed myself by participating in a summer research program so that I didn't have time to re study and retake this August to have another score for this cycle. Unless my state MD schools really show me some love, which is a slim to 0 chance, I'll have to reapply next cycle and probably apply DO as well.

For now I am going to live my life as if I am reapplying next cycle and retaking MCAT. My first goal for my retake is to score at least a 125 on CARS and secondly, raise that B/B to a 128ish. Any suggestions for how to tackle my CARS problems?

For this past MCAT I used Kaplan 7 books , KA for B/B and mainly P/S and all sections banks.

Would it be worthwhile to invest in a complete prep course and/or a CARS course?

I would like to start studying again in September of this fall and schedule my MCAT for March 2019. I would really like to get that CARS up to MD standards and break a composite of 510, if possible.

Thanks for the help everyone :)
Eyyyy, I took MCAT 5/24 too! My advice would be to NOT invest in a prep course. I would also not sleep on C/P or P/S since you did well on it this round. For CARS, I would grab books and just start reading (classic novels are good/business online articles)... that'll get your speed and comprehension up. Also, practice a CARS passage or 2 every day (invest in Princeton Review CARS book). I used Khan Academy for ALL sections, watched every video and it really helped me for all sections (except CARS). I think if you use Khan + Kaplan + TPR CARS + all AAMC material then you'll have everything you need to perform well. All it takes is time and dedication.

Reactions: 1 user
Eyyyy, I took MCAT 5/24 too! My advice would be to NOT invest in a prep course. I would also not sleep on C/P or P/S since you did well on it this round. For CARS, I would grab books and just start reading (classic novels are good/business online articles)... that'll get your speed and comprehension up. Also, practice a CARS passage or 2 every day (invest in Princeton Review CARS book). I used Khan Academy for ALL sections, watched every video and it really helped me for all sections (except CARS). I think if you use Khan + Kaplan + TPR CARS + all AAMC material then you'll have everything you need to perform well. All it takes is time and dedication.
I would like to start restudying in October, and take my MCAT again next April. Should I limit myself to a few passages a day when I start studying again? Any thoughts on EK's 101 passages?

Thanks, I'll definitely use TPR CARS and Khan. I mainly used Khan this time around for P/S, so that may help me to use the other sections!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did content study for the first 2 months with minimal passages, other than CARS. Then another 2 months with passage heavy studying and content review for high yield topics/stuff I got wrong. but you need to find that strat that works best for you!! I can't say how EK is for CARS, but really, any 3rd party cars will not be the best so just pick one. I found TPR to be good.

Practice with LSAT study books. Getting good at reading comprehension on that test helped me a lot when deciding to take the MCAT. I never opened the CARS book and it was still one of my best section scores. If that is your only problem section I would grind to take the September MCAT to have both scores for this cycle.