MCAT retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmianosi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the Jan 19th MCAT, and ended up with a score of 511 (128, 128, 128, and 127). I was a bit disappointed when I got back these scores, as I had been doing better on my practice exams (scoring 130-132 in Phys/Chem and CARS) and was hoping for a better score. I'd really like to go for an MD/PhD, but my premed advisor told me I don't have much of a shot with my current stats... He also recommended I don't retake the MCATs since it will look bad unless I do significantly better. I studied intensely (10+ hours/day) all of January... I probably shouldn't have taken them so soon, but I knew I wouldn't have had time to study this semester.

I currently have a 4.0 GPA at a large, public uni, biochemistry and molecular biology major, chem and french minors. I'm a junior and have three years of research experience, including a summer of 55+ hour weeks (two of the years and the summer in a reputable chem lab, where I will also be doing my senior thesis next year), and I have just been offered a research scholarship for this summer as well (biochemistry research at another lab). I have two summers and a winter break of working as a phlebotomist full time, as well as volunteering by teaching English to foreigners and tutoring in math and science. I will also have quite a bit of shadowing by the time I apply. There are other things as well, but I feel like those are the major points.

Is it worth it to retake the MCATs? Look at the stats online, I feel like my MCAT is within range for MD/PhDs, although on the slightly lower end (average MD/PhD has an MCAT of 514, standard deviation of 6). I just can't see myself giving up on research...

Also, I hadn't taken a psych course when I had taken the MCATs. I'm taking one now, so all the psych on my MCAT was self-taught.

EDIT: April

I retook the exam and got a 522 (132, 128, 132, 130)! Could not be happier about it. I've also decided to just apply straight MD. There are plenty of med schools that are very research heavy, so I would want to go to one of those

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Don't retake it, and apply MD/PhD anyway (assuming you have research publications). The difference between 511 and 514 is pretty trivial...

You think you can improve to a 514 / 515 with 'maintenance' studying only? You can apply both MD and MD/PhD this cycle and retake late May. The 511 won't go away, but a score that improves to 514 could mitigate some concern...

I generally advise anyone over 510 to think several times before re-taking. If you see your ceiling at 514, many schools average your scores-- thus your average has only increased two points, and increasing your score when you're already over 508 is quite difficult.

I would also advise you to apply to MD/PHD; I don't have the statistics at hand, but most people don't want to be PhD's. I can tell you that many MD/PhD candidates I am familiar with would actually have been less competitive in the general MD pool.

Best of luck with your application!

Members don't see this ad :)
I generally advise anyone over 510 to think several times before re-taking. If you see your ceiling at 514, many schools average your scores-- thus your average has only increased two points, and increasing your score when you're already over 508 is quite difficult.

I would also advise you to apply to MD/PHD; I don't have the statistics at hand, but most people don't want to be PhD's. I can tell you that many MD/PhD candidates I am familiar with would actually have been less competitive in the general MD pool.

Best of luck with your application!
Thanks! Only took me a few months to get back, but I went against everyone's advice and did end up retaking it. And am I glad I did! Got a 522 (132, 128, 132, 130)! Hopefully med schools don't care about my first score... Or even if they do and they average my two scores, I'm still fine with that

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks! Only took me a few months to get back, but I went against everyone's advice and did end up retaking it. And am I glad I did! Got a 522 (132, 128, 132, 130)! Hopefully med schools don't care about my first score... Or even if they do and they average my two scores, I'm still fine with that

Hey congrats! How long did you study in btwn for your retake? And what did you do differently to improve so much? Did you feel the second test played to your strengths more and was easier? Like what did you think coming out of it lol

Hey congrats! How long did you study in btwn for your retake? And what did you do differently to improve so much? Did you feel the second test played to your strengths more and was easier? Like what did you think coming out of it lol
Thank you!!

Before taking my first exam, I studied about 10-12 hours/ day, every day, for a month straight. The week before the actual exam, I was taking a full length every other day... So basically, I think I went way too hard, so I went into the exam exhausted. I was also INCREDIBLY nervous for the first exam. I think the exhaustion and nerves just compounded and made for a bad day.

I took a break for about a month between the first exam and studying for the second one. While studying for the second one, I was also taking classes, so I devoted about 20 hours/week to studying (3-4 hours every MWF and a FL every Saturday). I gave myself a week to relax and review before my second exam, and I just went into it feeling a lot more confident. Plus, I approached the exam less from a scoring standpoint. I wasn't studying to do well on the exam; I was studying so that I can learn the material and succeed in medicine.

I wouldn't say either test played more to my strengths, though, but quite honestly, I kind of blocked both of those exams from my memory :X3: Can't really remember anything from either of them. Strangely enough, I kept going over the first exam in my head for a few weeks after taking it, but I couldn't really remember anything from the second exam the moment I left the testing room. I did go into the second exam thinking that if I don't feel very good about it, then I'll just cancel the scores. Thank goodness I didn't!

Do you think med schools will care about my first score? If anything, they'll see I'm willing to take risks. Only one prof of the 10+ people I've talked to told me to retake the exam. Everyone else was pretty opposed to it (with good reason-- statistics were on their side).

Don't retake. MD PhD programs filter, interview, and admit with a slightly different standard compared to the MD. Yes, they do want higher MCAT scores, but a 511 doesn't knock you out. If you apply to only top 20 MD PhD programs, then yes, you'll be knocked out because of the 511 - but you were knocked out of their MD program as well because your MCAT is simply too low for that tier.

MD PhD programs value research and your experiences coupled with high grades and academic achievements.

Thank you!!

Before taking my first exam, I studied about 10-12 hours/ day, every day, for a month straight. The week before the actual exam, I was taking a full length every other day... So basically, I think I went way too hard, so I went into the exam exhausted. I was also INCREDIBLY nervous for the first exam. I think the exhaustion and nerves just compounded and made for a bad day.

I took a break for about a month between the first exam and studying for the second one. While studying for the second one, I was also taking classes, so I devoted about 20 hours/week to studying (3-4 hours every MWF and a FL every Saturday). I gave myself a week to relax and review before my second exam, and I just went into it feeling a lot more confident. Plus, I approached the exam less from a scoring standpoint. I wasn't studying to do well on the exam; I was studying so that I can learn the material and succeed in medicine.

I wouldn't say either test played more to my strengths, though, but quite honestly, I kind of blocked both of those exams from my memory :X3: Can't really remember anything from either of them. Strangely enough, I kept going over the first exam in my head for a few weeks after taking it, but I couldn't really remember anything from the second exam the moment I left the testing room. I did go into the second exam thinking that if I don't feel very good about it, then I'll just cancel the scores. Thank goodness I didn't!

Do you think med schools will care about my first score? If anything, they'll see I'm willing to take risks. Only one prof of the 10+ people I've talked to told me to retake the exam. Everyone else was pretty opposed to it (with good reason-- statistics were on their side).

Thanks for sharing! How many extra months (or hours) did you study for your second retake? It looks like there wasn't too much a gap btwn the two exams?

Yeah, I think the first exam just wasn't representative of your true abilities because you were tired. I'm glad the second one worked out well. And I don't think medical schools will care that much, seeing as you improved significantly. Also, you want to do MD/PhD so your retake is more valid in my opinion than if you were only applying MD. Even averaging, you score comes out to be 516 which is still brilliant. You will be fine :) although make sure to check with the adcoms on this site too!

Don't retake. MD PhD programs filter, interview, and admit with a slightly different standard compared to the MD. Yes, they do want higher MCAT scores, but a 511 doesn't knock you out. If you apply to only top 20 MD PhD programs, then yes, you'll be knocked out because of the 511 - but you were knocked out of their MD program as well because your MCAT is simply too low for that tier.

MD PhD programs value research and your experiences coupled with high grades and academic achievements.
Thanks for the reply, but I did take it, and I got a 522 (132, 128, 132, 130). Huge risk, but it was worth it. I sort of changed my course too. I'm going to be applying straight MD and hopefully be able to do a lot of research while in med school. I realized the reason I wanted MD PhD was to not limit my options, I wanted to keep everything open. I can get where I want to go with just an MD. But, I still do not want to give up research

Thanks for sharing! How many extra months (or hours) did you study for your second retake? It looks like there wasn't too much a gap btwn the two exams?

Yeah, I think the first exam just wasn't representative of your true abilities because you were tired. I'm glad the second one worked out well. And I don't think medical schools will care that much, seeing as you improved significantly. Also, you want to do MD/PhD so your retake is more valid in my opinion than if you were only applying MD. Even averaging, you score comes out to be 516 which is still brilliant. You will be fine :) although make sure to check with the adcoms on this site too!

So, I started studying again in mid-March. I went through TPR books cover to cover (I went through Kaplan before the first exam), and seeing all the information again in a new form was very helpful. I studied 3-4 hours every MWF morning (8-12 usually), and then I took a full length every Saturday (under test like conditions). I also took a psych course (which I had no taken prior to the first exam). I did that until my exam which was April 22nd. I guess it really wasn't much time at all, now that I think about it... I think that may have been the longest month of my life!

I'll definitely check with adcoms, though. My pre-med advisor said that schools only look at your second score, they don't really care much about your first score. And my first score really wasn't bad, so it shouldn't bring me down. I think I'll just be applying MD, though. I realized I can do what I want to do without a PhD, and I can always matriculate into an MD PhD after my first year. I'll still have options.

Last edited:
So, I started studying again in mid-March. I went through TPR books cover to cover (I went through Kaplan before the first exam), and seeing all the information again in a new form was very helpful. I studied 3-4 hours every MWF morning (8-12 usually), and then I took a full length every Saturday (under test like conditions). I also took a psych course (which I had no taken prior to the first exam). I did that until my exam which was April 22nd. I guess it really wasn't much time at all, now that I think about it... I think that may have been the longest month of my life!

I'll definitely check with adcoms, though. My pre-med advisor said that schools only look at your second score, they don't really care much about your first score. And my first score really wasn't bad, so it shouldn't bring me down. I think I'll just be applying MD, though. I realized I can do what I want to do without a PhD, and I can always matriculate into an MD PhD after my first year. I'll still have options.

Wow you're right, that's not too much time, but looks like you spent it smartly. Yeah, I highly doubt your MCAT will be what holds you back...considering your ECs are great, my guess is most schools are within your reach (even Harvard). And that sounds good; you can def do research as an MD. Good luck with applying!

Ready the posts lol he was replying to an old thread. He retook it and slayed the test getting a 522 he was just updating everyone.

Wow you're right, that's not too much time, but looks like you spent it smartly. Yeah, I highly doubt your MCAT will be what holds you back...considering your ECs are great, my guess is most schools are within your reach (even Harvard). And that sounds good; you can def do research as an MD. Good luck with applying!
Thank you!! You too :) Good luck with the MCATs if you haven't taken them yet! Let me know if there's any way I can help

Wow, congratulations! Which practice exams did you use the first time compared to the second time, and did you use the AAMC materials both times?

Wow, congratulations! Which practice exams did you use the first time compared to the second time, and did you use the AAMC materials both times?
Thank you! I took AAMC and Kaplan exams before the first exam, and then Kaplan and TPR before the second. The only AAMC material I used was the flashcards (as I was driving to my second exam). Actually had one question on the exam verbatim from the cards... I ran out of time studying and couldn't use any of the online resources (although I bought them all...). Reading TPR and Kaplan books was what really helped me the most, I think

Thank you! I took AAMC and Kaplan exams before the first exam, and then Kaplan and TPR before the second. The only AAMC material I used was the flashcards (as I was driving to my second exam). Actually had one question on the exam verbatim from the cards... I ran out of time studying and couldn't use any of the online resources (although I bought them all...). Reading TPR and Kaplan books was what really helped me the most, I think

Did you use the TPR Science and CARS workbooks or just the content review book set? If yes, do you feel like the workbooks were representative of the actual exam? I just started the TPR science workbook and it seems really easy compared to the 30 minute practice subject tests in the EK books. I'm worried that it won't be like the actual exam and am thinking about getting a couple of EK101 science books instead. However, I've read great things about these two newest editions of the TPR workbooks, so I'm torn on what to do.

Did you use the TPR Science and CARS workbooks or just the content review book set? If yes, do you feel like the workbooks were representative of the actual exam? I just started the TPR science workbook and it seems really easy compared to the 30 minute practice subject tests in the EK books. I'm worried that it won't be like the actual exam and am thinking about getting a couple of EK101 science books instead. However, I've read great things about these two newest editions of the TPR workbooks, so I'm torn on what to do.

My TPR books were actually the very first set of books to come out that covered the new exam (two or three editions old, I think), so I can't say anything about how the newer editions are. I just used the content review book sets, both TPR and Kaplan. I did all the practice questions in those books, but I really used them for review, not so much practice. I read through every single one of the books, cover to cover, except for CARS (maybe my score would have improved if I had devoted any time to CARS, but I'm fine with a 128. English is my second language, so I'm not complaining). I didn't use the workbooks at all (didn't even know the exist until now), so I can't say much about that. But I was very satisfied with the science review in TPR book set.