MCAT score drop from FL AAMC to real deal, not sure where to go from here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bella92129

Reaction score
So I got my mcat scores back recently and had a significant drop from my practice exams. I’m a non traditional applicant (physician assistant currently working in cardiac surgery) so I did had to reteach myself alot of the subject matter with the help of books and online course. I took the first two AAMC about 2 months before the exam and got a 509/512. Then I took some Kaplan and blueprint etc and was getting 512-513 on the last couple blueprints I took. Then I took the last two AAMC exams in the two/three weeks leading up to the exam and got a 515 on FL3 and 519 on FL4. Honestly I was nervous going into the exam because I had historically had a hard time finishing C/P (although I did fine on that front for the last two AAMC exams) but otherwise was feeling pretty good about the exam. I slept fine the night before. I didn’t feel overly jittery walking into it. Then I got some questions in C/P that I struggled with (mostly calculation questions that were just unlike anything I’d seen before) and I think I got progressively more nervous. I was perseverating about a couple questions on the C/P going into CARS and felt pretty down about how I was doing by the lunch break. After it was all said and down everyone kept telling me to trust my full lengths so I was hopeful but ended up getting a 508, with a 124 in CARS. I’ve never gotten below a 127 in CARS and that was early on/I didn’t finish the section. I got a 129 in CARS on my most recent practice exam. All my other sections dropped by 1-2 points as well. Just kind of at a loss - I guess it could’ve been from anxiety. It’s been a long time since I’ve taken any sort of standardized exam or even big exam in general. I was also working full time while studying so maybe that played a role although my practice exams don’t seem to suggest that. I’m planning on retaking but a little bit confused on how I should actually study this time. Should I get a tutor or just review everything and work on stress reducing things? Any insight or thoughts as to what went wrong or what I can do to increase my score moving forward?

Members don't see this ad.