MCAT score good enough for an SMP? Should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am currently a senior Neuroscience major who was considering applying to SMPs soon, but I've just received my MCAT scores and unfortunately, they are quite poor (26, 9/9/8). My GPA is currently 2.82, but it should be just above a 3.0 by the end of this semester the way my classes are going. Are these scores good enough to get me into any of the programs I've listed below or should I definitely retake the exam? I scored 5 points lower on my actual test than my average for the 8 practice exams I completed, if that is one reason I should retake. I would have to take the new exam, as there are currently no openings for the old one, if that's a reason I shouldn't retake. I'm also a black male if that matters at all. Thanks!

Boston MAMS
Rosalind Franklin University BMS
Drexel IMS
EVMS
Georgetown EMS
Rutgers MBS
Temple AMCS
TouroCom MS
Cincinnati SMP
VCU Premedical Graduate Certificate Program

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest focusing on disadvantage programs such as Gtown GEMS (may be same as what's on your list) where you get a year of additional undergrad and MCAT prep.

UCSD and the other UC's have these programs. Wake Forest might still have one.

Don't spend $50k on an SMP. VCU is fine.

Best of luck to you.

I'm also a black male if that matters at all.
It matters. US MD schools fight over a very small pool of qualified black candidates. Just don't start med school before you're ready to succeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest focusing on disadvantage programs such as Gtown GEMS (may be same as what's on your list) where you get a year of additional undergrad and MCAT prep.

UCSD and the other UC's have these programs. Wake Forest might still have one.

Don't spend $50k on an SMP. VCU is fine.

Best of luck to you.

Yes, spending 50k for one year is a rather large downside, so I'll definitely look into these disadvantaged programs.

Just to clarify if, for whatever reason I do decide to apply to an SMP, are you saying my stats are indeed good enough for most of those programs? Many of them aren't very clear on their exact GPA/MCAT score cutoff, though I know some require a 3.0 GPA. Would I do better just contacting the school directly?

Thanks!

Not only should you not spend $50k on an SMP, you shouldn't go to one that lets you in, not now. Your numbers indicate that you're not ready for the work: GPA & MCAT 2 std devs below MD matriculant average, and about 1.5 std devs below DO average. It's not all about getting in - it's mostly about getting through. SMPs are going to put you through a lot of med school courses, and that's a completely horrible time to have to be learning how to get A's.

Please don't underestimate how hard med school is. It's unbelievably depressing to fail out. My class has now lost 10 out of 146, and most of those were overwhelmed academically, and completely demoralized. Don't start an SMP or med school until you have the academic bona fides, which you can get in GEMS and similar programs. Take your time.

Reactions: 1 user